Hard drive swap between pc's ok?

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

As a function, the secondary drive will work in the new build, but you may have to do some special stuff depending on what's stored on it.

I installed a secondary hard drive (HDD) on a pc some time ago, and it has a lot of data i need on it. Now the problem is: i am moving this summer to another country, and i won't take this pc with me (it's too heavy and it's too old anyways to pay for moving it (q6600, gt 630, 4 gb ddr2 ram etc.) plus i have another rig i use for gaming, which will be moving) So i wonder: can i take out the secondary hard drive from my old work pc and just plug it in my new gaming rig? I know it's a stupid question, but i just never had to do this before, and i never wondered about it!

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

2 minutes ago, Epiclol86 said:

I installed a secondary hard drive (HDD) on a pc some time ago, and it has a lot of data i need on it. Now the problem is: i am moving this summer to another country, and i won't take this pc with me (it's too heavy and it's too old anyways to pay for moving it (q6600, gt 630, 4 gb ddr2 ram etc.) plus i have another rig i use for gaming, which will be moving) So i wonder: can i take out the secondary hard drive from my old work pc and just plug it in my new gaming rig? I know it's a stupid question, but i just never had to do this before, and i never wondered about it!

Yes you can. If it has a Windows install it might be a bit upset if you have changed out the motherboard or CPU though. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

As a secondary HDD, yes you can just plug it in. If it has an OS installed, you might need to reconfigure your boot order from bios, tho very unlikely that it would change.

As a function, the secondary drive will work in the new build, but you may have to do some special stuff depending on what's stored on it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch