X99 Build still viable?

I was going to start buying the pc parts from my build next week, and some friend said are you sure x99 still viable ? or is it still worth it. He said this because the of CPU and plataform. I'm buying is the 5820k which I believe almost two years old and the because of skylake being the new "stuff".

Note that me or my friend are not experts so I kinda wanted to know if the money I will be spenting aint wasted. I also know everything changes fast especially in technology 

I had already posted something in the forums and they advise me to change the RAM and the PSU.

Build is here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZXbLWZ

Thank you for your time !

P.S. I plan to work with Adobe packages, 3D programms, basically multimedia content and developing stuff, alot of multitasking.

Why wouldn't x99 be valuable? Keep in mind that LGA1150 and LGA1151 are limited to hyperthreaded quad-core processors at best, while you can get hyperthreaded 6 and 8 core CPUs on the LGA 2011-3 platform. It's still unrivaled in that respect, and the new Broadwell-E CPUs are going to be coming to that very platform, so there's always an upgrade path.

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Why wouldn't x99 be valuable? Keep in mind that LGA1150 and LGA1151 are limited to hyperthreaded quad-core processors at best, while you can get hyperthreaded 6 and 8 core CPUs on the LGA 2011-3 platform. It's still unrivaled in that respect, and the new Broadwell-E CPUs are going to be coming to that very platform, so there's always an upgrade path.

Did Intel confirm this? i read about it but i take it with a grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, xgn said:

Did Intel confirm this? i read about it but i take it with a grain of salt.

what?

it's been known since the X99 release that it will house both Haswell-E and Broadwell-E

all Bridges were on X79, all Wells are on X99 and all Lakes will be on whatever platform comes after X99

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

what?

it's been known since the X99 release that it will house both Haswell-E and Broadwell-E

So then that is defently the way to go if you were to buy a mobo today.

Just now, xgn said:

So then that is defently the way to go if you were to buy a mobo today.

if you were interested in $200+ motherboards and enthusiast platform.. sure, otherwise get the cheapest h110 board or h81 board and go with an i3 or i5

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Thank you guys! I just wanted to make sure I wasnt investing on something "bad" .. And since I do not have any computer to work with or to do anything else I just might buy it right away next week and in the future if the money is around an upgrade ! xD

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

if you were interested in $200+ motherboards and enthusiast platform.. sure, otherwise get the cheapest h110 board or h81 board and go with an i3 or i5

Now i realise how expensive hardware is in Norway. Here it starts on 250$ if you go for asrock extreme3. The real enthusiast ones starts at 580$.

2 minutes ago, xgn said:

Now i realise how expensive hardware is in Norway. Here it starts on 250$ if you go for asrock extreme3. The real enthusiast ones starts at 580$.

what's your problem?

you wanna pick a fight with me?

I said $200+ and both $250 and $580 are in $200+

#meth

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

what's your problem?

you wanna pick a fight with me?

I said $200+ and both $250 and $580 are in $200+

#meth

Btw someone suggested me while I was doing my build to switch the intel 750 pcie for the Samsung PRO 950 M.2 SSD, which is the one you have right?

3 minutes ago, nmacedocunha said:

Btw someone suggested me while I was doing my build to switch the intel pcie for the Samsung PRO 950 M.2 SSD, which is the one you have right?

that's the one i do have

but switch intel what?

----------------------------------

oh... opened the pcpart thingy, yeah totally you can get 950Pro for the same or cheaper price with more storage and half the power consumption

performance wise they are equal

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

that's the one i do have

but switch intel what?

ahahah sorry, this one Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive