What type of HDD is good for me?

JGalsky

Hello! I'm building my first PC in a bit and I wanted to see what type of storage I need, besides an SSD.  I do some gaming, very light gaming, web browsing, lots of school work, and some photo editing.  I have a pair of 2tb WD Red, which are NAS drives (Network-attached Storage) that came with a home cloud storage system that we do not use anymore.  It's about 2 months old, so very new drives.  Do you recomend me to get a single 4tb HSTG drive, which are the lowest failure rate in mechanical drives?  Or, should i just use the pair of NAS drives is RAID 1? P.s. I do constant backups so, I don't need a RAID 1.

I'd use the existing disks unless you need more space. If you're good on making backups elsewhere just use them as single drives. Doesn't sound like you'd benefit from raid 0 or 1 so keep it simple. I wouldn't worry too much about failure rates too much. Unless you have a large number of them to average out, it will be more down to luck or abuse than wear and tear.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Nas drives are engineered to be always running. I'd suggest picking up some WD blues. They're tried and true, and there isn't a huge difference between them and the greens and blacks

If you have the Red drives just sitting around, you may as well use them. If you're backing up regularly, then you could just have them as individual drives in the system, or put them in JBOD to combine their capacity without the issues of complete loss of data redundancy of RAID 0. 

If you have another use for the Reds (in a NAS, or as backups), then I'd say just get a single 4TB Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue for desktop use. 

use the reds. you don't really even need to raid them just use them as separate disks

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10