An expert's look at my build?

Building My First PC

I've wanted to build my own gaming PC for a while now. I realize my budget is not the highest but I think It'll do. I plan to modify and upgrade my PC over the next few years. For a while now I've been restricted to console gaming due to time and price; unable to commit myself to the PC master race. I'd like a computer that can run new games at at least 40fps (60fps would be grand but I'm not entirley sure how realistic that is with my budget). Do let me know if any of this isn't possible with my price range.

Budget and Location: £500-£600 (Great Britain)

Aim: High quality PC gaming

Monitors: One HD monitor intended at first. I may increase to two in the future. Not yet decided on brand and size.

PeripheralsCurrently have a mouse and headphones. I intend to get myself a nice keyboard and some speakers if my leftover budget allows.

Why I'm upgrading: I currently have an outdated gaming laptop that will not run anything that came out past 2010. I'd like to get into PC gaming rather than console fun to have more freedom (particularly in modding communities).

My Build so Far

I've used pcpartpicker.com so far to decide on may components: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MCBZnQ

Considering the motherboard that pcpartpicker.com doesn't allow me to add, I've planned on using a MSI H110 PC MATE after doing some research into them. This, of course, gives room for expansion; something I desire.

I haven't fully decided on a case yet, I expect I will need a full size tower, which I have no issue with. The design of the case doesn't particularly matter to me, I find what's inside more important. But if I somehow come across a nice amount of money (unlikely), I'd certainly indulge in a nice looking box.

With an approximately £50 case. The PC comes to around £540. I can bargain hunt for cheaper alternatives of the same products.

Things I am unsure of

Performance - Am I being unrealistic with that I want and what I'm able to get?

Compatibility - I am pretty sure that all this works together, but confirmation from someone less of a newb than me would be nice.

CPU - Will this suffice? Perhaps I should consider something better with whatever leftover budget I have?

Cooling - Although the CPU I've considered comes with a cooler, I've been informed that it would be loud and less efficient. Is it worth buying the CRYORIG H7 49.0?

Power supply - Need I upgrade from bronze to gold? What perks would it offer?

RAM - Of course I have room to expand, but is 8gb enough to start with?

Optical Drive - I still play some of my nostalgic disk games. Is it worth getting a more expensive drive, or do some cases come with them? I'm really unsure.

Size - This will all fit in a large case...right?

switch out for a 380 and your fine.

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

you don't need to upgrade from bronze to gold for this build, and pcpartpicker checks if everthing fits for you :)

i'd recommend an R9 380X though for the GPU :)

8 gb is enough for games now and ram is pretty cheap so stick with 1 stick now (punintended) and buy another one later down the road

For your case you could check out this playlist of reviews and click on the cases you like the look of (Really professional reviews) 

Power supply - Need I upgrade from bronze to gold? What perks would it offer? You'll probably be fine with bronze because you arent using much power, but I beleive gold and stuff like that is best with multiple GPU's and more power hungry rigs. 

RAM - Of course I have room to expand, but is 8gb enough to start with? 8gb is probably fine to begin with, 16gb is sometimes overkill. It all depends on what games and things you are going to use

Optical Drive - I still play some of my nostalgic disk games. Is it worth getting a more expensive drive, or do some cases come with them? I'm really unsure. You could get one for your bays or you could go and get an external. its up to you but the price of these doesnt really matter. Although id stick with a brand such as Samsung. 

Size - This will all fit in a large case...right?  Easily.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

You're i3 and 960 will play pretty much all modern games at 1080p with medium to high-ish settings. Would pretty much be the build I would recommend

The 380 is better in some games and raw compute power but at the cost of power draw and heat. There is not much in it though to be honest its more up to personal preference and performance in the games you intend to play.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

I think you would need a mid-tower case at the most. I have more powerful hardware in my PC, as well as a bigger MOBO, and I fit comfortably into my Corsair Spec-02. You should get a 380, as everything in your build should be able to accommodate it.

The GeForce G210 is a good GPU too. Should be able to play most games on ultra, if not all of them and is a really good price. Ytou could probably get a really good overclock out of it too. 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

8 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

The GeForce G210 is a good GPU too. Should be able to play most games on ultra, if not all of them and is a really good price. Ytou could probably get a really good overclock out of it too. 

Stop trolling.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£96.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£49.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£27.51 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.92 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£259.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£51.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £566.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-02 18:39 BST+0100

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£96.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£49.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£27.51 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.92 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£259.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£51.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £566.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-02 18:39 BST+0100

I would greatly appreciate some clarification as to why this is more appropriate than previous suggestions.

Right off the bat I see the Video Card is a lot better, also the power supply is larger (Due to the heavy duty video card I take it), this I understand.

What effect does the change in motherboard have?

Also, does this mean that the Carbide case eliminates the need for the CPU cooler?

39 minutes ago, DomWhiteley17 said:

I would greatly appreciate some clarification as to why this is more appropriate than previous suggestions.

Right off the bat I see the Video Card is a lot better, also the power supply is larger (Due to the heavy duty video card I take it), this I understand.

What effect does the change in motherboard have?

Also, does this mean that the Carbide case eliminates the need for the CPU cooler?

That MSI H110 board is a ATX but it only has 2 ram slots. 99% of ATX board will have 4 ram slots. Not sure how much that board cost, but for a ATX board get one with 4 ram slots. For 2 ram slots, the go for a micro ATX one.

The case does not eliminite the need for a cpu cooler. The cpu itself comes with a cpu cooler so that money is saved and put towards a better gpu. In the future, you can get yourself a better cpu cooler.  The 88R is micro case not a full tower.

The ram you pick in pcpp is not the correct one. It needs DDR4 not DDR3.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

That MSI H110 board is a ATX but it only has 2 ram slots. 99% of ATX board will have 4 ram slots. Not sure how much that board cost, but for a ATX board get one with 4 ram slots. For 2 ram slots, the go for a micro ATX one.

The case does not eliminite the need for a cpu cooler. The cpu itself comes with a cpu cooler so that money is saved and put towards a better gpu. In the future, you can get yourself a better cpu cooler.  The 88R is micro case not a full tower.

The ram you pick in pcpp is not the correct one. It needs DDR4 not DDR3.

Grand. Thank you kindly for the help. I think that you've given me the best possible build adaptation, I may've been going a little overkill with my initial idea. Two ram slots is certainly enough.

2 minutes ago, DomWhiteley17 said:

Grand. Thank you kindly for the help. I think that you've given me the best possible build adaptation, I may've been going a little overkill with my initial idea. Two ram slots is certainly enough.

Yes 2 might be enough for some. Note that he 88R will not fit the board that you picked. For that, check out the Corsair 100R.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes 2 might be enough for some. Note that he 88R will not fit the board that you picked. For that, check out the Corsair 100R.

I think that's my build plans complete like so: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3HMvLk

I added an optical disk drive but I don't see anyway that could interfere with it besides cramping things up a little, but I'm pretty sure it will still all fit by this: 

I think you would need a mid-tower case at the most.

Thank you all very much for your help!