First build, opinions? i7- 6700k gtx 980 ti

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NfDCsY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NfDCsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($61.99 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($152.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($653.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($167.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($20.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1746.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker

I am waiting for the parts to be delivered, but they should arrive by Tuesday... If the order tracker is accurate. Anxious to hear any input on what you guys think of my component selection, or about any problems you believe I may encounter. As the post says this is my first attempt at a gaming desktop assembly, and any tips or criticism would be appreciated. The step of the build I am most worried about would probably be the proper mounting of the noctua CPU cooler (as well as fan orientation), mounting of the motherboard in the case, and proper cable attachment from the motherboard with the associated components (not to mention good cable management). I'm worried about CPU temps also, but I thought with the aftermarket cooler and three 140mm in the case would be adequate in such an open case... I hope I'm not wrong... Anyways, thank you for your assistance and feedback.

4 minutes ago, takoofapoc said:

I assume you will be purchasing another main-storage drive for your larger files later?

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice 

yeah, its pretty good. no bottle necking. i prefer a nice aio water cooler to an air cooler myself, but yeah, pretty good. what are ya using it for?. 

I plan on buying at least a 1tb mechanical HD in the future. Am I wrong to assume that running the os and using it for storage in the meantime would cause me to suffer in performance, or would it just not work?

4 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

yeah, its pretty good. no bottle necking. i prefer a nice aio water cooler to an air cooler myself, but yeah, pretty good. what are ya using it for?. 

Just trying to get some good graphical output in games at 1080p, or a little over if I get a new monitor. But no video rendering needs at the moment. Just trying to get something better than my Xbox one or hand me down alienware PC from 2010 haha.

1 hour ago, takoofapoc said:

Just trying to get some good graphical output in games at 1080p, or a little over if I get a new monitor. But no video rendering needs at the moment. Just trying to get something better than my Xbox one or hand me down alienware PC from 2010 haha.

well, if you dont need to do editing, you could probably shoot for an i5 and be okay. 

3 minutes ago, takoofapoc said:

I plan on buying at least a 1tb mechanical HD in the future. I'm I wrong to assume that running the os and using it for storage in the meantime would cause me to suffer in performance, or would it just not work?

Just store all your storage crap on your primary SSD (and get a different SSD like an Arc 100 cuz you have the budget for it) and when you get a HDD, move it over there.

Also, you don't need a 760W PSU of that high caliber. Get an EVGA GQ/GS/G2 of around 650W.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Just store all your storage crap on your primary SSD (and get a different SSD like an Arc 100 cuz you have the budget for it) and when you get a HDD, move it over there.

Also, you don't need a 760W PSU of that high caliber. Get an EVGA GQ/GS/G2 of around 650W.

I knew it was a little too much, I was just thinking of the future . Like, if I wanted to run two 980 ti GPUs, I thought I might need a little more wattage. But on the topic of the ssd being my only storage device at the time of my build, will I be able to boot windows off it, as well as play the games or applications off it without any problems? Also, I don't plan on using up much of my storage for anything other than steam games at first ( not transferring any junk from my old PC or anything).

3 hours ago, takoofapoc said:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NfDCsY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NfDCsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($61.99 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($152.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($653.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($167.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($20.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1746.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker

I am waiting for the parts to be delivered, but they should arrive by Tuesday... If the order tracker is accurate. Anxious to hear any input on what you guys think of my component selection, or about any problems you believe I may encounter. As the post says this is my first attempt at a gaming desktop assembly, and any tips or criticism would be appreciated. The step of the build I am most worried about would probably be the proper mounting of the noctua CPU cooler (as well as fan orientation), mounting of the motherboard in the case, and proper cable attachment from the motherboard with the associated components (not to mention good cable management). I'm worried about CPU temps also, but I thought with the aftermarket cooler and three 140mm in the case would be adequate in such an open case... I hope I'm not wrong... Anyways, thank you for your assistance and feedback.

You really don't need extra thermal paste. The NT-H1 that comes with your Noctua cooler is better than the Artic Silver 5 paste. 

3 hours ago, Bigheart said:

yeah, its pretty good. no bottle necking. i prefer a nice aio water cooler to an air cooler myself, but yeah, pretty good

The only thing that AIO water coolers have going in my opinion is that they can be used in cases with low height clearance. 

They don't perform better, they are louder and even though it's unlikely, they might even leak. Really not worth it.

10 hours ago, takoofapoc said:

I knew it was a little too much, I was just thinking of the future . Like, if I wanted to run two 980 ti GPUs, I thought I might need a little more wattage. But on the topic of the ssd being my only storage device at the time of my build, will I be able to boot windows off it, as well as play the games or applications off it without any problems? Also, I don't plan on using up much of my storage for anything other than steam games at first ( not transferring any junk from my old PC or anything).

Two 980tis usually would be an area where I suggest 850W for some headroom. The EVGA 850W G2/GS would be good options for ya if you do plan to SLI later.

You can boot games off the SSD, yes. When you eventually throw a HDD in there, make sure to reinstall Steam and re-route the games directory to a folder on your hard drive rather than your SSD to save space on your SSD.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||