How cold is TOO cold?

JoePro87
Go to solution Solved by Seminole,
4 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

Hey Mr. Pro over here @JoePro87, he's not trying to win an argument that no one cares about, that's you my good man. He's simply explaining the science that is clearly above your head so chill out, he's trying to teach you. Really, you should be grateful. Most people would just call you an idiot and move on...

@ThinkWithPortals

"This is simple thermodynamics, dude. A simple fan+heatsink cannot cool below ambient temps."

In my opinion that sounds like he's just trying to start an argument lol I wouldn't be grateful for that.

"10 degrees below idle is impossible.
A fan cools you down due to evaporative cooling, whereby the sweat on your skin can evaporate."

@ThinkWithPortals

Just saying... evaporative cooling doesn't apply to air cooling at all. Air cooling is just insulation and conduction at work. By blasting insulating air at the conductive CPU you dissipate the heat.

What I'm trying to point out is there's no reason to pick a fight with JoePro. He was just asking a question.

Okay, just added another case fan to my computer, and HOLY BALLS EVERYTHING IS RUNNING SO COLD NOW! Like, seriously, my CPU temps are lower than my room temps.  At what point should I be worried? I know if things drop below freezing, it can be an issue, but I'm not in danger of that happening anytime too soon.

Anyway, CPU temps are currently 11C at idle, 20C after running Heaven Benchmark. 

Is this normal? Should I just count myself lucky?

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

your cpu cant go below room temperature if your on air. most of the time you need liquid nitrogen or a phase cooler to go below room temp. so you sure the temps are right?

Literally impossible without phases cooling dice or Ln2 etc

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Going under room temp on air is physically impossible. You probably have a bad sensor or a VERY cold room

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

FYI - Heaven doesn't stress the CPU at ALL. Run Intel Burn test for CPU temps

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

What everybody above me has said- on air or water cooling it's impossible for your temps to be colder than your room temperature, temps below room temperature can only be obtained with Ln2 or phase change cooling. What CPU do you have?

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

What everybody above me has said- on air or water cooling it's impossible for your temps to be colder than your room temperature, temps below room temperature can only be obtained with Ln2 or phase change cooling. What CPU do you have?

I find it funny that you all say that it is impossible to go below room temps on just air cooling...because...that's what is happening. Anyway, at idle, CPU is pushing 11C, which is 51 degrees. Is it possible my sensor is bad? Sure. Is it possible that me having my computer on the ground makes it more probable that that is where the air is cooler (considering heat rises), sure! Ambient room temp, according to a thermometer in my living room, says it is 67F. 

So...also, considering I never have had my CPU run this cool before, I'm guessing the sensor isn't bad. It normally rests somewhere around the 50C mark. And btw, I have an AMD FX-8300. 

So...it's possible somehow the sensor JUST went bad...but that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Oh, and I'm going to run Intel Burntest. I'll post results when it is done.

Completed 2 passes. Went up to 42C. Going to test it on higher settings.

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

The thermal sensor could well be off. The system can't run cooler than the air that it's being cooled with, them's the laws of physics. If the sensor is correct then your room temps must be cooler than the system.

It's literally not physically possible for your CPU to be colder than ambient temps, it's a scientific law.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

I find it funny that you all say that it is impossible to go below room temps on just air cooling...because...that's what is happening. Anyway, at idle, CPU is pushing 11C, which is 51 degrees. Is it possible my sensor is bad? Sure. Is it possible that me having my computer on the ground makes it more probable that that is where the air is cooler (considering heat rises), sure! Ambient room temp, according to a thermometer in my living room, says it is 67F. 

So...also, considering I never have had my CPU run this cool before, I'm guessing the sensor isn't bad. It normally rests somewhere around the 50C mark. And btw, I have an AMD FX-8300. 

So...it's possible somehow the sensor JUST went bad...but that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

AMD FX CPU's like the 8300 don't actually have a thermometer, it uses an algorithm to calculate temperatures when under load. My old 8350 would report temps below 20C all the time at idle, since the algorithm is very inaccurate at idle, but under load it was a more reasonable 57C or so.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

AMD FX CPU's like the 8300 don't actually have a thermometer, it uses an algorithm to calculate temperatures when under load. My old 8350 would report temps below 20C all the time at idle, since the algorithm is very inaccurate at idle, but under load it was a more reasonable 57C or so.

Now that I would believe.

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

The thermal sensor could well be off. The system can't run cooler than the air that it's being cooled with, them's the laws of physics. If the sensor is correct then your room temps must be cooler than the system.

It's literally not physically possible for your CPU to be colder than ambient temps, it's a scientific law.

In regards to this, think about just a standard house fan in your room. It blows the air around...and cools things off. It must be MAGIC. Obviously just a fan won't cool down the air by like 50 degrees or anything, but with this case fan running at max speed (which it is, because I totally jerry rigged this thing), 10 degrees below room temps isn't that hard to believe.

Just now, JoePro87 said:

Now that I would believe.

I thought there was an AMD article on it, but I couldn't find it on Google. But yeah, at idle temps will drop/raise at insane rates, and it's not very accurate.

4 tests in, and the highest I've seen so far is 54C

8 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

In regards to this, think about just a standard house fan in your room. It blows the air around...and cools things off. It must be MAGIC. Obviously just a fan won't cool down the air by like 50 degrees or anything, but with this case fan running at max speed (which it is, because I totally jerry rigged this thing), 10 degrees below room temps isn't that hard to believe.

10 degrees below idle is impossible.

A fan cools you down due to evaporative cooling, whereby the sweat on your skin can evaporate.

If it was at all possible to cool something below room temp with only a fan and heatsink then there would be no problem with cooling normal objects at normal room temperature to below freezing, but that's impossible. That's why things like fridges and freezers need complex systems involving condensers and coolant loops to cool their insides lower than ambient temp. If it was possible to do that with just a fan, we wouldn't need all that. But it's not possible.

This is simple thermodynamics, dude. A simple fan+heatsink cannot cool below ambient temps.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

10 degrees below idle is impossible.

A fan cools you down due to evaporative cooling, whereby the sweat on your skin can evaporate.

If it was at all possible to cool something below room temp with only a fan and heatsink then there would be no problem with cooling normal objects at normal room temperature to below freezing, but that;s impossible. That's why things like fridges and freezers need complex systems involving condensors and coolant loops to cool their insides lower than ambient temp. If it was possible to do that with just a fan, we wouldn't need all that. But it's not possible.

This is simple thermodynamics, dude. A simple fan+heatsink cannot cool below ambient temps.

Look,. I honestly couldn't give a shit less. The issue was already solved. The FX processors use an algorithm to determine temps, they don't have actual sensors inside the CPU. Stop trying to be a big boy and win an argument that no one cares about. Just drop it.

Anyway, after running the test on the maximum settings, the highest I got was 55C. Does that seem more reasonable, all things considered? Or, should the intel burn in test be pushing it a lot higher than this? 

4 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Look,. I honestly couldn't give a shit less. The issue was already solved. The FX processors use an algorithm to determine temps, they don't have actual sensors inside the CPU. Stop trying to be a big boy and win an argument that no one cares about. Just drop it.

Anyway, after running the test on the maximum settings, the highest I got was 55C. Does that seem more reasonable, all things considered? Or, should the intel burn in test be pushing it a lot higher than this? 

Geez, could you be anymore butthurt?

You just spewed up what Kobathor fed you...

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Just now, JoePro87 said:

A temp of 55 degrees seems fairly normal, I'd be willing to accept that as genuine.

And there's no need to get like that. You're just butthurt you got corrected.

With air cooling it's nearly impossible for your CPU to dip below room temperature. The air is only dissipating the heat generated, it can't dissipate more heat than the area around it unless you dissipated it in such a short burst that the ambient temperature just couldn't handle the drop in temperature any more.

But obviously you can't experience that with a CPU fan lol. I have seen something that explains this about computers, essentially what is happening is your computer is reading the temperatures differently from how they are supposed to be read or something like that. I forgot how it worked, I'm sure someone else knows what I'm talking about.

3 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Just as I was almost done writing this haha :) yeah 55c is pretty average. I'm guessing you're still seeing that some of the cores are still 0-11c though? Unless you fixed that. I'd like to hear how you got around it :)

Hey Mr. Pro over here @JoePro87, he's not trying to win an argument that no one cares about, that's you my good man. He's simply explaining the science that is clearly above your head so chill out, he's trying to teach you. Really, you should be grateful. Most people would just call you an idiot and move on...

@ThinkWithPortals

Just now, Mikius10001 said:

Hey Mr. Pro over here @JoePro87, he's not trying to win an argument that no one cares about, that's you my good man. He's simply explaining the science that is clearly above your head so chill out, he's trying to teach you Really, you should be grateful. Most people would just call you an idiot and move on...

@ThinkWithPortals

Cheers mate.

You know what? For my own sake, and to not get anymore warning points, I'm just closing this thread before I say something I'll regret.

4 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

@ThinkWithPortals

"This is simple thermodynamics, dude. A simple fan+heatsink cannot cool below ambient temps."

In my opinion that sounds like he's just trying to start an argument lol I wouldn't be grateful for that.

"10 degrees below idle is impossible.
A fan cools you down due to evaporative cooling, whereby the sweat on your skin can evaporate."

@ThinkWithPortals

Just saying... evaporative cooling doesn't apply to air cooling at all. Air cooling is just insulation and conduction at work. By blasting insulating air at the conductive CPU you dissipate the heat.

What I'm trying to point out is there's no reason to pick a fight with JoePro. He was just asking a question.