Need help in Building a budget Gaming PC

Wilson406

Hi Guys, I'm planning on building a new gaming PC and wanted your suggestions on whether or not this setup would be good (or there is something better & different I can choose)

CPU: FX 8350 (can't afford Intel)
Mother Board: Either a 'Asus AMD M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard' or 'MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard'
RAM: 1X Kingston FURY Memory - 8GB Module - DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM
PSU: Corsair CP-9020098-UK VS Series VS650 650 Watt Power Supply Unit
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (CWCH60)
Storage: 1X sandisk ssd 240 gb and a 1TB WD
Graphics: MSI R9 270

Now the things I really need help with are the Mother Board & Graphics card. Should I be going with the MSI 970 (cheaper but will it be best for OC & a lot of gaming) or try getting the ASUS one. And for Graphics I'd like to play games like Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed (all games) Crysis 3 etc at at-least 1080p clarity but at the same time not break the budget :D  

1 more thing guys, how about 'GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P '

Also I'm thinking of using my CPU cooler H60 later on as a GPU cooler (buy a bracket for the GPU) so suggestions on that would be great.

I'm from India so I'll be mostly using amazon.in for my purchases and if I don't get them online I'll try at my local store.

Edited by Wilson406
Found something interesting & wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to ask.

What's your budget? USD or CAD?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

4 minutes ago, Wilson406 said:

Is an i5 really much more expensive than the FX 8 core?

You'd want the ASUS 990FX board there

far as the GPU goes I wouldn't worry about water cooling it, and just buy like a hyper 212 EVO and you'd be fine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

If you lose the H60, surely you can go Intel and just use the stock cooler. 

Not to mention the PSU is garbage. SeaSonic or XFX is the way to go.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

What's your budget? USD or CAD?

About 800-900 USD!

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Is an i5 really much more expensive than the FX 8 core?

You'd want the ASUS 990FX board there

far as the GPU goes I wouldn't worry about water cooling it, and just buy like a hyper 212 EVO and you'd be fine.

I'd really need the 8350's overclocking ability plus the multi core benefits! So you suggest that overclocking with 212 Evo would be fine? Coz here in India the ambient temps rise up a lot (sometimes like 35 C) and I don't want to damage my CPU or GPU!

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

If you lose the H60, surely you can go Intel and just use the stock cooler. 

Not to mention the PSU is garbage. SeaSonic or XFX is the way to go.

Yeah you are right it would bring down the price but I'd need the AMD & thanks for the PSU suggestion will search for something better :)

4 minutes ago, Wilson406 said:

I'd really need the 8350's overclocking ability plus the multi core benefits! So you suggest that overclocking with 212 Evo would be fine? Coz here in India the ambient temps rise up a lot (sometimes like 35 C) and I don't want to damage my CPU or GPU!

Well then maybe go for a larger air cooler, something from noctua if it's available possibly.

a single 120mm radiator really isn't much better than a Hyper 212

I suppose if you really need the 8 core then go for it with the 990FX ASUS board it's one of the better boards for the money.

but ya like they said, seasonic, XFX(non XT), Superflower, EVGA non low end, look for GQ mostly are pretty solid brands.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Well then maybe go for a larger air cooler, something from noctua if it's available possibly.

a single 120mm radiator really isn't much better than a Hyper 212

I suppose if you really need the 8 core then go for it with the 990FX ASUS board it's one of the better boards for the money.

but ya like they said, seasonic, XFX(non XT), Superflower, EVGA non low end, look for GQ mostly are pretty solid brands.

So how about the Gigabyte 970A-UD3P compared to the above boards?

2 hours ago, Wilson406 said:

Hi Guys, I'm planning on building a new gaming PC and wanted your suggestions on whether or not this setup would be good (or there is something better & different I can choose)

CPU: FX 8350 (can't afford Intel)
Mother Board: Either a 'Asus AMD M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard' or 'MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard'
RAM: 1X Kingston FURY Memory - 8GB Module - DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM
PSU: Corsair CP-9020098-UK VS Series VS650 650 Watt Power Supply Unit
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (CWCH60)
Storage: 1X sandisk ssd 240 gb and a 1TB WD
Graphics: MSI R9 270

Now the things I really need help with are the Mother Board & Graphics card. Should I be going with the MSI 970 (cheaper but will it be best for OC & a lot of gaming) or try getting the ASUS one. And for Graphics I'd like to play games like Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed (all games) Crysis 3 etc at at-least 1080p clarity but at the same time not break the budget :D  

1 more thing guys, how about 'GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P '

Also I'm thinking of using my CPU cooler H60 later on as a GPU cooler (buy a bracket for the GPU) so suggestions on that would be great.

I'm from India so I'll be mostly using amazon.in for my purchases and if I don't get them online I'll try at my local store.

Lets not go with that PSU you have 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

18 minutes ago, Wilson406 said:

About 800-900 USD!

This is my recommended list for 900 USD:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $913.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 21:30 EDT-0400

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

8 minutes ago, Wilson406 said:

So how about the Gigabyte 970A-UD3P compared to the above boards?

Poor reviews here, stick to that board or go for one of the below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

Look for this board if it's available, it has USB 3.1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128898

Possibly this ASrock board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157610

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

This is my recommended list for 900 USD:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $913.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 21:30 EDT-0400

Thank you so much for the detailed break down that's so nice of you but I can't use the Intel :(

31 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Poor reviews here, stick to that board or go for one of the below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

Look for this board if it's available, it has USB 3.1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128898

Possibly this ASrock board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157610

Just checked your suggestions... they are so awesome and in my price range. I might not get them online but I'll check them out in my local stores & let you know 9_9

2 minutes ago, Wilson406 said:

Thank you so much for the detailed break down that's so nice of you but I can't use the Intel :(

Why? What's wrong?

Just now, Shahnewaz said:

Why? What's wrong?

I'd need the extra cores & the overclocking headroom. And Intel here costs lot more!

3 minutes ago, Wilson406 said:

I'd need the extra cores & the overclocking headroom. And Intel here costs lot more!

I haven't seen any game that requires and fully utilizes 8 cores yet.

And I don't think you'll need any overclocking with the i5 6500. That processor at stock is much stronger, and plenty good for most games.

You can't really OC a non-k part, but you get the point.

Edited by Shahnewaz

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

I haven't seen any game that requires and fully utilizes 8 cores yet.

You'd need more cores/threads for virtual machine workloads, maybe game streaming, or other productivity stuff, the FX 8 cores can still beat out i5s for workloads that can use 8 threads.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

You'd need more cores/threads for virtual machine workloads, maybe game streaming, or other productivity stuff, the FX 8 cores can still beat out i5s for workloads that can use 8 threads.

I understand that, but OP is saying he'll use it for gaming. He didn't say anything else, sooooo..... :/

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Yeah, and apart from Gaming I'll be doing little bit of CAD & video rendering in future so decided that this would be best for the budget!

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

I understand that, but OP is saying he'll use it for gaming. He didn't say anything else, sooooo..... :/

Sorry my bad :(

5 minutes ago, Wilson406 said:

Yeah, and apart from Gaming I'll be doing little bit of CAD & video rendering in future so decided that this would be best for the budget!

I think the i5 would be just fine. Not sure if video-editing and professional apps love many many cores, but the i5 has very strong single-threaded performance, if not anything. I don't have much information on those workloads, so I can't confidently recommend either at this point.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your help @Streetguru  @Shahnewaz  @HKZeroFive for your help in the build. It took me a while but I finally bought the New PC and here's the list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2BgNLk

I haven't bought the GPU, will do that in the next month & most probably by end of year I'll save enough for the GTX 1080 xD

Thanks again Guys :)

7 hours ago, Wilson406 said:

Thanks for your help @Streetguru  @Shahnewaz  @HKZeroFive for your help in the build. It took me a while but I finally bought the New PC and here's the list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2BgNLk

I haven't bought the GPU, will do that in the next month & most probably by end of year I'll save enough for the GTX 1080 xD

Thanks again Guys :)

But like you could have easily gotten like a 380 man. Oh well.

Polaris is probably your best bet for upgrading on a budget when it comes out in 2 months.

you'd only want the 1080 really if you have a 4k display, and if pascal supports a-sync

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Streetguru said:

But like you could have easily gotten like a 380 man. Oh well.

Polaris is probably your best bet for upgrading on a budget when it comes out in 2 months.

you'd only want the 1080 really if you have a 4k display, and if pascal supports a-sync

Would i5 6500 and the monstrous 1080 present a bottleneck?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink