Microsoft: No, Microsoft Edge will not natively block ads

SansVarnic

*Update*

Microsoft: No, Microsoft Edge will not natively block ads

Microsoft rebuts a report that said Edge would get an integrated ad blocker

By; Gregg Keizer ComputerWorld via PCWorld

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3050475/windows/microsoft-no-microsoft-edge-will-not-natively-block-ads.html

ad blocker blocker

Apparently the article I posted, somebody did not do their homework correctly and or did not follow up with their to confirm the information. For Shame..........

The original article I posted: 

Microsoft does not plan on baking an online ad blocker into its Edge browser, a company engineer said today, rebutting a piece published Wednesday that got wide follow-on coverage.

Rossi and Pflug said that the slide was misinterpreted. It actually referred to feedback requests from Windows Insiders -- the beta testers who run the most problematic builds of the new OS and its integrated browser -- that was being addressed by supporting third-party extensions, they said.

"It's quite obvious that users care about speed," Kolondra said as he defended the integrated ad blocker. "We should start talking about this. The [ad] industry should be making sure that ads are not ruining the user experience."

"It's quite obvious that users care about speed," Kolondra said as he defended the integrated ad blocker. "We should start talking about this. The [ad] industry should be making sure that ads are not ruining the user experience."

Apparently according to Microsoft the add blocking that has been referred to in conversation is a slider for an ad filter of sorts. MS only has plans of supporting Ad Blockers through extensions so users can use their choice of what Ad Blocker they want.

This makes a lot more sense to me honestly. I like the information that put out in the related article but it did seem a bit of a stretch for MS to bake in an AdBlocker since there is already solid extension available through either AdBlocker Plus and AdBlocker Pro. If MS was to bake one they would most likely work with or offer to buy either of the 2 I mentioned.

Thoughts? 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Nevermind.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

They actually should to encourage both adoption and marketing ppl to purchase OS level ads for Windows 10 instead.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

They actually should to encourage both adoption and marketing ppl to purchase OS level ads for Windows 10 instead.

OS level ads are bad and a most terrible idea.

Just the idea of the security breach that would open up... *shivers*

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well, Opera lately released native add-blocking in their web browser. Great addition indeed. I use Opera and it's really the fastest, such an underrated browser.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well, Opera lately released native add-blocking in their web browser. Great addition indeed. I use Opera and it's really the fastest, such an underrated browser.

Opera really isn't underrated. Chrome is much faster and much simpler, while Firefox is much more customizeable. There's not much else to say, really.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

A great idea to force people to go back to windows XP so they dont even get nagged for windows 10 anymore.

Wait, they're actually letting the user choose? And missing out on the opportunity to block ads that don't profit them?

This must be an April Fools joke.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

13 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh, dear God, no.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

22 hours ago, manualmode said:

Opera really isn't underrated. Chrome is much faster and much simpler, while Firefox is much more customizeable. There's not much else to say, really.

I tried all popular browsers and opera was fastest among them. I can't see how chrome is "much simpler" either. 

Anyway I don't use any of those now.