Is this build okay?

Gladius
Just now, Aytex said:

looks good

if your mainly gaming you can go for a i5 6600k save some money

Alright thanks. Well gaming is going to be a big part of it. But I am getting the i7 because I also render, photoshop, edit videos and so on 

I would get a different power supply. The Corsair AX is good but it is usually more expensive than other good alternatives.

Have a look at EVGA G2/GS, XFX XTR and Corsair RMx/RMi.

50 minutes ago, Gladius said:

Paying extra for overclocking over the 6700 probably isn't worth it

what is up with that hard drive situation man

aside from that don't buy an OEM key if you're going to buy a windows key, as OEM keys only work once

and what is your display set up? if it's a single 1080p 60hz display or even a 1440p 60hz display you really only need a 390 to run games well at that resolution, or if you want the overkill GPU I guess, if the R9 Nano or Fury are the same price as the 980 like they should be go for that, they have more performance overall and AMD cards look to better support DX12, in addition to saving you money on free-sync vs G-sync.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Looks fairly good. 

• The CPU is good but if you plan to use it primarily as a gaming rig then maybe step down to the i5 6600k. It will still handle video editing etc. fine enough. If you want to stick i7, consider going down to a 6700. As @Streetguru said it probably isn't worth it to go for a unlocked chip. If you go for the 6700 get a h170 board. 
  • The storage is a bit strange. I reccomend you step down to a 500gb 850 evo and get a 2tb WD black. 
  • What resolution are you playing at? If you are at 1440p 60htz or less then a 970/390 is fine. 
  • Get Windows from kinguin. It has been fine for me. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

1 hour ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Looks fairly good. 

• The CPU is good but if you plan to use it primarily as a gaming rig then maybe step down to the i5 6600k. It will still handle video editing etc. fine enough. If you want to stick i7, consider going down to a 6700. As @Streetguru said it probably isn't worth it to go for a unlocked chip. If you go for the 6700 get a h170 board. 
  • The storage is a bit strange. I reccomend you step down to a 500gb 850 evo and get a 2tb WD black. 
  • What resolution are you playing at? If you are at 1440p 60htz or less then a 970/390 is fine. 
  • Get Windows from kinguin. It has been fine for me. 

Well the space is because of video editing and games. But why the h170 board?

EDIT:

I have already sent an order for the Power supply, CPU cooler, RAM, WD blue 3TB, the z170x, SSD... I could cancel it but I just want to know why in more detail if that is okay.

I'll explain the space thing a bit more; I was thinking of splitting the 3TB in to games and some programs, maybe store some of the video files. The 1TB one is mainly for video files and as a storage for all my previous rendered videos. A 1TB SSD so I can have all the video editing software, 3D modelling software and so on. A bit overkill with 1tb maybe, but I would rather be safe than sorry. One 3D program I have takes alone around 100 GB with all addons, a normal day of recording could be up to 40gb-60gb.  And I already have a set amount I can spend on this rig (money I have on the side specifically for this rig) so I would rather want to go all out on it than save a few bucks. And I know how dangerous I can be with money just lying around, it will just go to something stupid.

Well, I'm panicking a bit after seeing some of these....

1 hour ago, Gladius said:

well WD green drives kinda suck, just get like 1 4TB WD red, or 4TB HGST NAS drive for stability

The performance gain from spending all the money on the CPU cooler, and Z170 board really be worth it over a 6700, it's most likely that you could have gotten a 5820K that would blow away the 6700K once OC'd as they normally cost the same, it's just that the motherboards are a bit more expensive, that would have been way better for your 3D work and all that if that's your main focus.

the 1TB SSD isn't too bad but you could probably just live with a 480GB one for your OS and some programs and save money there

aside from that, you never said what your displays were, and don't order things before asking for advice lol.

like I said before if you only have a 1080p display the 980ti is a waste and you should upgrade your display rather than buy a high end GPU.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

well WD green drives kinda suck, just get like 1 4TB WD red, or 4TB HGST NAS drive for stability

The performance gain from spending all the money on the CPU cooler, and Z170 board really be worth it over a 6700, it's most likely that you could have gotten a 5820K that would blow away the 6700K once OC'd as they normally cost the same, it's just that the motherboards are a bit more expensive, that would have been way better for your 3D work and all that if that's your main focus.

the 1TB SSD isn't too bad but you could probably just live with a 480GB one for your OS and some programs and save money there

aside from that, you never said what your displays were, and don't order things before asking for advice lol.

like I said before if you only have a 1080p display the 980ti is a waste and you should upgrade your display rather than buy a high end GPU.

Well, I did ask for advice not too long ago. I changed a few things up but I never got any good responses other than "Looks good"

I do only play on 1080p as of right now. But I won't be getting the 980Ti now anyway. I wan't a future proof card and I know that it will be one. I'll have to see what pascal brings before I decide. I already have the 3TB one ordered. And I would like the games and the recording folder to be on seperate disks because I don't want it to read it all on one disk. In my experience that has some bad impact. So what other 1TB would you suggest?

Also people got a bit confused when I had a WD red in the list

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

aside from that don't buy an OEM key if you're going to buy a windows key, as OEM keys only work once

Windows 10 only allows one PC to use a license key, even with retail, or "full" licenses. They've changed their terms of service accordingly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's what I've seen and what I've been hearing. 

1 minute ago, Gladius said:

So what other 1TB would you suggest?

Probably just wait and buy like 2 TB or 3TB drive again, since it seems you'll need a lot of space, that'd be the best thing per dollar most likely.

Future proofing your GPU isn't going to be real, you can future proof your display somewhat with a 4k or 1440p 144hz IPS display. as single GPUs that can saturate those displays will always be getting cheaper while the displays will not exactly. plus no single GPU can really do 4k 60hz gaming or the other one.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, manualmode said:

Windows 10 only allows one PC to use a license key, even with retail, or "full" licenses. They've changed their terms of service accordingly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's what I've seen and what I've been hearing. 

no like, an OEM key gets locked to your hardware, so if you change your hardware majorly you need to maybe call microsoft and hope they reinstate your key not sure how that works, you can officially only have the full retail key on one PC at a time, but you can reinstall it as many times as you wish.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably just wait and buy like 2 TB or 3TB drive again, since it seems you'll need a lot of space, that'd be the best thing per dollar most likely.

Future proofing your GPU isn't going to be real, you can future proof your display somewhat with a 4k or 1440p 144hz IPS display. as single GPUs that can saturate those displays will always be getting cheaper while the displays will not exactly. plus no single GPU can really do 4k 60hz gaming or the other one.

What I meant with "future proof" was that it should hold for atleast 4-5 years or so. I could upgrade my display along the way. I mean my GTX 580 has held for this long and I got it when it came out. And this is all the money I have to spend for this computer, so getting a 1tb hdd would be a good option for me right now. From what I've heard it works excellent as a storage disk. And I removed the OEM key and got a usb version of Windows 10. 

2 minutes ago, Gladius said:

What I meant with "future proof" was that it should hold for atleast 4-5 years or so. I could upgrade my display along the way. I mean my GTX 580 has held for this long and I got it when it came out. And this is all the money I have to spend for this computer, so getting a 1tb hdd would be a good option for me right now. From what I've heard it works excellent as a storage disk. And I removed the OEM key and got a usb version of Windows 10. 

Also possibly consider going for the pro version, as the home version removes your ability to choose to update, it always just updates, you can maybe delay it but that's about it.

I'm sure it might last that long for 1080p gaming, but for the same price you could probably get a 390 + 1080p 144hz TN free-sync display

Or just a 390 + 1440p 60HZ IPS display, usually all costs about the same.

your GPU would basically sit idle running a 1080p 60hz display, best to upgrade your display rather than buy a high end GPU, the display will last you longer than the GPU

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Also possibly consider going for the pro version, as the home version removes your ability to choose to update, it always just updates, you can maybe delay it but that's about it.

I'm sure it might last that long for 1080p gaming, but for the same price you could probably get a 390 + 1080p 144hz TN free-sync display

Or just a 390 + 1440p 60HZ IPS display, usually all costs about the same.

your GPU would basically sit idle running a 1080p 60hz display, best to upgrade your display rather than buy a high end GPU, the display will last you longer than the GPU

That's true. But from what I've seen a 970/390 can't max a few of the games that are out there. Which worries me a bit. I could get a 144hz for around 290€ or so. Which means that I could most likely upgrade to that in a year or less. Maybe even 4k.

But it is a lot to take in right now

EDIT:

It wouldn't sit idle for a very long time considering the games will be more and more advanced

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

no like, an OEM key gets locked to your hardware, so if you change your hardware majorly you need to maybe call microsoft and hope they reinstate your key not sure how that works, you can officially only have the full retail key on one PC at a time, but you can reinstall it as many times as you wish.

Oh, yeah, I guess that makes sense. 

28 minutes ago, Gladius said:

That's true. But from what I've seen a 970/390 can't max a few of the games that are out there. Which worries me a bit. I could get a 144hz for around 290€ or so. Which means that I could most likely upgrade to that in a year or less. Maybe even 4k.

But it is a lot to take in right now

EDIT:

It wouldn't sit idle for a very long time considering the games will be more and more advanced

Not really, DX12 is going to help a lot with keeping the AMD GPUs at least relevent, and even older GPUs now can still run at lot of AAA games, just at lower settings

rise of the tomb raider is like the only recent example of a game that's hard to run, but that's mostly because it's DX12 implementation is crap, and there's not really much optimization for it yet.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Gladius said:

Well the space is because of video editing and games. But why the h170 board?

EDIT:

I have already sent an order for the Power supply, CPU cooler, RAM, WD blue 3TB, the z170x, SSD... I could cancel it but I just want to know why in more detail if that is okay.

I'll explain the space thing a bit more; I was thinking of splitting the 3TB in to games and some programs, maybe store some of the video files. The 1TB one is mainly for video files and as a storage for all my previous rendered videos. A 1TB SSD so I can have all the video editing software, 3D modelling software and so on. A bit overkill with 1tb maybe, but I would rather be safe than sorry. One 3D program I have takes alone around 100 GB with all addons, a normal day of recording could be up to 40gb-60gb.  And I already have a set amount I can spend on this rig (money I have on the side specifically for this rig) so I would rather want to go all out on it than save a few bucks. And I know how dangerous I can be with money just lying around, it will just go to something stupid.

Well, I'm panicking a bit after seeing some of these....

• If you go for a 6700, which is a non K skew you don't need a z170 board and would be better off with a cheaper board which would best be a h170. 
  • You storage configure makes a little more space now but it is still not optimal. The 1tb SSD makes a bit more sense but I would ditch the WD Blue, which is a lower end drive and the WD Green, which is just shit. Go for a large WD Black 2-3tb should be good enough. If you need more you can get more in the future. 
  • Dont panic. They are fairly minor issues. :) 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

10 hours ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:
  • If you go for a 6700, which is a non K skew you don't need a z170 board and would be better off with a cheaper board which would best be a h170. 
  • You storage configure makes a little more space now but it is still not optimal. The 1tb SSD makes a bit more sense but I would ditch the WD Blue, which is a lower end drive and the WD Green, which is just shit. Go for a large WD Black 2-3tb should be good enough. If you need more you can get more in the future. 
  • Dont panic. They are fairly minor issues. :) 

I can't do much about the 3TB one now but I did change the 1tb to a black. But what about SSHD? A 1tb one is cheaper than the black. I have not heard much about them so I am not sure how they are, but they are supposed to be faster Nvm

On 1 April 2016 at 11:15 PM, Gladius said:

I can't do much about the 3TB one now but I did change the 1tb to a black. But what about SSHD? A 1tb one is cheaper than the black. I have not heard much about them so I am not sure how they are, but they are supposed to be faster Nvm

Good. It's not a big deal with the Blue but it's good that the black is there in place of the green. A SSD is more for a budget system that has no SSD. They don't tend to be great value for money but I like them. 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X