Q about cables / WITH PC PART PICKER

CandleJakk

HI! Here is the build I will be following: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/HjLrxr/530-beginner-gaming-pc-great-1080p-gaming-march-2016-version-2

I will be going for the more expensive version of it using the i5 6500 and the R9 380x.

I was wondering if all the parts (when bought new) come with the cables and all other essentials, or do I have to buy the cables myself?

Thanks! :) 

Just now, WereCat said:

Yes. It will come with cables.

ok, thanks, phew! :D also what Wi-Fi adapter for the mobo would you recommend? they are all the same, aren't they?

All of the essential, internal cables will be included if you're buying new. You may need to buy cables to connect your monitor, depending on the video interface you choose. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

All of the essential, internal cables will be included if you're buying new. You may need to buy cables to connect your monitor, depending on the video interface you choose. 

I will be using the HP w19ev 1440x900 monitor (rip) for a few months after the purchase.. I will just need a standard hdmi connector, right?

thank you for help so far btw :D

2 minutes ago, CandleJakk said:

ok, thanks, phew! :D also what Wi-Fi adapter for the mobo would you recommend? they are all the same, aren't they?

I dont really know as I have no experience with these. I would however look for adapters than dont require drivers out of convenience.

Just now, WereCat said:

I dont really know as I have no experience with these. I would however look for adapters than dont require drivers.

ah, ok. i would be quite far away from the router (2-3 meters), would it be worth having a really long ethernet cable? i heard that the longer the cable, the slower the internet speed... not sure if that is a myth though :S

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I dont really know as I have no experience with these. I would however look for adapters than dont require drivers.

If you can use ethernet then use ethernet. Lenght doesent really matter. My cable has 10m and I have 12ping. Wi-Fi on the other hand will slow your speed and increase latency. Ethernet > Wi-Fi (whenever possible).

Just now, CandleJakk said:

No, they're not all the same. 

Really, I would recommend using ethernet to connect the PC, but it's not always an option. 

Something like an ASUS PCE-N15 is a good option for the price. Or mostly anything from Intel is reliable. 

2 minutes ago, CandleJakk said:

ah, ok. i would be quite far away from the router (2-3 meters), would it be worth having a really long ethernet cable? i heard that the longer the cable, the slower the internet speed... not sure if that is a myth though :S

2-3 metres isn't far at all. CAT5e (most common ethernet cable standard right now) supports 1Gbps up to 100m (90m + 10m patch cables, generally). There's no perceivable difference in speed, and bandwidth will be the same when the cable is within 1Gbps spec length. 

Just now, WereCat said:

If you can use ethernet then use ethernet. Lenght doesent really matter. My cable has 10m and I have 12ping. Wi-Fi on the other hand will slow your speed and increase latency. Ethernet > Wi-Fi (whenever possible).

oh, wow, awesome. i'm almost certain i have a long ethernet cable from when i used to use a REALLY old desktop there

Really, I would recommend using ethernet to connect the PC, but it's not always an option. 

Something like an ASUS PCE-N15 is a good option for the price. Or mostly anything from Intel is reliable. 

2-3 metres isn't far at all. CAT5e (most common ethernet cable standard right now) supports 1Gbps up to 100m (90m + 10m patch cables, generally). There's no perceivable difference in speed, and bandwidth will be the same when the cable is within 1Gbps spec length. 

dang!! :D thanks for the info o.OxD

oh, wow, awesome. i'm almost certain i have a long ethernet cable from when i used to use a REALLY old desktop there

Just make sure that your cable does not support only speeds that are lower than your internet connection (but that would must have been really old one).

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

http://www.netstoredirect.com/rj45-network-cables/41829-cat5e-rj45-patch-cables.html?ipa=185&gclid=CjwKEAjwlfO3BRDR4Pj_u-iO2U0SJAD88y1SvGOURu-JHNLYLJ4J8lFIRq4_WbiYloHgtFXlGKGqohoCE2jw_wcB#/10-color-black/74-length-5m just found this - do you think it'll be bad as it's cheap?

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Just make sure that your cable does not support only speeds that are lower than your internet connection (but that would must have been really old one).

yeah i think i may get a new one since they aren't very expensive :D

It'll be fine. CAT5e cable is cheap in general. Only thing that may be a concern is that the connectors are normally made from cheap plastic on cheap patch cables. If you're going to be plugging and unplugging the cable frequently, the latch on the connector will likely break pretty quick. In terms of performance, however, it will be no different than a £50 CAT5e cable at that length. 

It'll be fine. CAT5e cable is cheap in general. Only thing that may be a concern is that the connectors are normally made from cheap plastic on cheap patch cables. If you're going to be plugging and unplugging the cable frequently, the latch on the connector will likely break pretty quick. In terms of performance, however, it will be no different than a £50 CAT5e cable at that length. 

oh right, cool. thank you again for the information!! :D 

you might need  SATA cables, if you dont have them in your motherboard box. get a wifi adapter, unless you just want to connect via LAN.