Should I get a GoPro?

So this year me and my family are going to tenerife for 2 weeks, as well as me and my girlfriend are going to Ibiza.

So of course in tenerife if you have been I will be using the camera at Siam park, as well as other attractions like when we drive boats and go-karting.

So I am unsure if to get the 4k model or the standard one (£159 model), I will also be getting a head strap for PoV and a hotshoe mount for my DSLR, Battery life is fine as I have a 10,000mAh bank.

What model would you get for a first if you think I should get one?

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

I wouldn't suggest the 4K one unless you have a lot of memory and a beefy computer to help render all the footage. 

i used a go pro for my trip to new zealand and used it while i was skiing

if you dont mind looking like an idiot with a camera strapped to his head, go right ahead :P

(it does look quite silly)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

I wouldn't suggest the 4K one unless you have a lot of memory and a beefy computer to help render all the footage. 

My PC could do 4k rendering easily, and memory cards are not an issue (Can get cards off Amazon all day long) but the initial price seemed high, plus for high moving images 60fps would be better no?

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i used a go pro for my trip to new zealand and used it while i was skiing

if you dont mind looking like an idiot with a camera strapped to his head, go right ahead :P

(it does look quite silly)

Na it doesn't bother me what I look like lol, they won't see me again haha.

But it should be good for a video album as well as the pictures, most of my eletronics this year are based around supporting my camera.

2 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

My PC could do 4k rendering easily, and memory cards are not an issue (Can get cards off Amazon all day long) but the initial price seemed high, plus for high moving images 60fps would be better no?

60 FPS looks way cooler. But a lot of places like Facebook and Instagram can't show 60 fps :( 

Your friends and family will notice 60fps a lot more than they will notice 4k.

Just now, DaltonM said:

60 FPS looks way cooler. But a lot of places like Facebook and Instagram can't show 60 fps :( 

I personally don't use facebook or instagram, my idea is Youtube.

My girlfriend has facebook but most people she knows on there don't know what 60fps is so I suppose post production could run it at 30fps

35 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

What model would you get for a first if you think I should get one?

Depends what you want to spend, honestly they are all great

For action I would want to record at 60 mostly so I could do half speed slow motion for cool bits

4k would be nice for less actiony footage

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Depends what you want to spend, honestly they are all great

For action I would want to record at 60 mostly so I could do half speed slow motion for cool bits

4k would be nice for less actiony footage

4k is pricey though, and the £329 one only does 10fps, no good for action.

The camera mounted videos will be if we go up mount teide so I can record while shooting, but mostly action shots, for Ibiza I dunno what I will use the gopro for.

So the Hero4 Session should be enough

35 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

4k is pricey though, and the £329 one only does 10fps, no good for action.

The camera mounted videos will be if we go up mount teide so I can record while shooting, but mostly action shots, for Ibiza I dunno what I will use the gopro for.

So the Hero4 Session should be enough

The session quality is a bit meh but otherwise its decent

honesly id just get hero 4 silver

Or look into alternative acton cameras, like the sony, or heck I use the cheap xiaomi yi and its great

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

59 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

The session quality is a bit meh but otherwise its decent

honesly id just get hero 4 silver

Or look into alternative acton cameras, like the sony, or heck I use the cheap xiaomi yi and its great

But for mounting on your head wouldn't the session be better? Lighting should mostly be good when I use it.

4 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

But for mounting on your head wouldn't the session be better? Lighting should mostly be good when I use it.

Sure but options like the Sony and contour HD are even more low profile since the camera is end on, not square

but yeah the session is much smaller than the regular go pro

17 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Sure but options like the Sony and contour HD are even more low profile since the camera is end on, not square

but yeah the session is much smaller than the regular go pro

Well I checked the price of the Hero4 silver vs Session and there is about £100 difference between them unsure if the quality it £100 difference though

1 hour ago, XDroidie626 said:

Well I checked the price of the Hero4 silver vs Session and there is about £100 difference between them unsure if the quality it £100 difference though

GoPro footage is OK, but because of the tiny sensor and lens it's only good if there is enough light, if fails very quickly in less than ideal conditions.  As others have suggested, try other cameras or GoPro clones and save yourself some money if you can.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

On 3/31/2016 at 9:17 AM, XDroidie626 said:

dont forget that you can get 120fps in the 1080 mode.

On 3/31/2016 at 9:20 AM, DaltonM said:

On 04/04/2016 at 3:35 PM, blnswamy said:

dont forget that you can get 120fps in the 1080 mode.

This is true, could be fun to use on rides and go karting

5 hours ago, XDroidie626 said:

This is true, could be fun to use on rides and go karting

yup.. i have the 4 silver , and i regret not getting the black, i can do 120 fps.