router std?

xwrench3

can a modem or router get a virus or some other type of malware?

Yes they can, some bot nets have even been created to use your router to make Denial of Service attacks

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

lol you do know what STD means, right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No.  A router can have a security vulnerability which can lead to it getting compromised.  This does not equal malware infection.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

He's from Michigan, I'm pretty sure they have sex-ed too.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

10 minutes ago, C1intFunWood said:

He's from Michigan, I'm pretty sure they have sex-ed too.

Then I dont want to know what he's been doing to his router...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes, i do know what it means. back when i was the age to worry about that, it was called V.D. std was an abbreviation for standard.  and i meant it metaphorically, not litterally. so how can i check the router and or modem for trouble? .

6 hours ago, xwrench3 said:

yes, i do know what it means. back when i was the age to worry about that, it was called V.D. std was an abbreviation for standard.  and i meant it metaphorically, not litterally. so how can i check the router and or modem for trouble? .

Check the manufacturer's site for updated firmware versions. If the latest firmware is more than 2 year's old, your router isn't supported anymore. This doesn't mean it has a known vulnerability, but any that are found won't get patched in the future. If it's been between a year and two years, then the router might still get patches for a big vulnerability but it probably won't. Another thing that you can use to determine the support is if the router is still under warranty - if it isn't under warrenty then the manufacturer doesn't care about it anymore.

If your router isn't supported by the manufacturer, you can see if an alternate firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT is available. Even if the latest version doesn't support your device, an old version of one of these firmwares is going to be much better from a security and stability standpoint.

Some manufacturers make devices that they do support for very long timeframes. Examples include Mikrotik and Ubiquiti. But as soon as you look at their products you'll see they are oriented to service providers, small businesses, etc. They definitely make good products and software but they aren't for the typical home user.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

this one happens to be a D-Link, that is about 1 1/2 years old. i did check the mfg website, and there is an update that i need to do. time has just not been my friend the last few days. my sons friend was over last night and he mentioned checking for updates. i had no idea that they even could be updated. i hope that fixes our problems.