Need Help with my audio config!

Mecami

Hey guys!

So Linus' video about the Fiio E10 finally drove me to the state, that I feel the need to upgrade my audio experience.

So basically I'm kindly asking for some assistance.

I need to get both a new pair of headphones and a soundcard/Headphone AMP.

I would like to know if you could recommend me something that won't cost me too much.

Is it possible to get something nice for under 200$?

Or is it not enough for a whole new non-onboard-sucking audio experience?

Thanks in advance!

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

If you're in the US, you can get the E10 on buydig.com for 50 bucks. I'd first ask if your on board really does suck or if you're just assuming it does because "everyone says onboard sucks."

150 ish is the sweet spot for headphones - do you want open or closed? Bass heavy?

Hey first off thanks for the fast response!

Unfortunately I'm from EU.

I prefer a slightly bass heavier experience, but not bass heavy to a heavy extend.

Closed, I suppose you mean "ear-enclosing" headphones, if that is the case, the answer would be yes.

And referring to my onboard audio, I would pretty much guess it sucks, since it is more or less a barebones model, it is a Gigabyte-H77-DS3H

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Hey guys!

So Linus' video about the Fiio E10 finally drove me to the state, that I feel the need to upgrade my audio experience.

So basically I'm kindly asking for some assistance.

I need to get both a new pair of headphones and a soundcard/Headphone AMP.

I would like to know if you could recommend me something that won't cost me too much.

Is it possible to get something nice for under 200$?

Or is it not enough for a whole new non-onboard-sucking audio experience?

Thanks in advance!

First priority is always headphones. So some options to check out are AKG 240's, DT 770's(closed),  DT 990's(open), ATH-M50's. 

Then go for a headphone amp/dac. :)

As I stated before I'm not able to spend a huge amount of money on headphones+soundcard/AMP

I'm looking for a enjoyable experience, where you would say: Ok it's not the super luxurious option, but it sounds so much better than before.

And also, do I have to care about the Impedance? And what is a limiter?

As I stated before I'm not able to spend a huge amount of money on headphones+soundcard/AMP

I'm looking for a enjoyable experience, where you would say: Ok it's not the super luxurious option, but it sounds so much better than before.

And also, do I have to care about the Impedance? And what is a limiter?

If you have a good motherboard you don't need an amp/dac right now. You can upgrade later.

We don't know the prices of headphones as most of us are in the USA. Please show us where you will be buying headphones

If you have a good motherboard you don't need an amp/dac right now. You can upgrade later.

We don't know the prices of headphones as most of us are in the USA. Please show us where you will be buying headphones

I have the GA-H77-DS3H mainboard.

the beyerdynamic headphones would cost me about 210$, a bit too high priced.

"headphones-sources" would be amazon.de/mindfactory.de/alternate.de.

all german sites obviously, because i am from germany.

but if you have an international site you can recommend, i'm open for everything.

Hey first off thanks for the fast response!

Unfortunately I'm from EU.

I prefer a slightly bass heavier experience, but not bass heavy to a heavy extend.

Closed, I suppose you mean "ear-enclosing" headphones, if that is the case, the answer would be yes.

And referring to my onboard audio, I would pretty much guess it sucks, since it is more or less a barebones model, it is a Gigabyte-H77-DS3H

Ah, by closed or open, I mean whether or not you want air to freely flow at the back of the driver (and your ear!). If you're traveling or using the headphones on-the-go you'll want closed to isolate you from the real world, but open provides a more natural sound if you're in a quiet-ish environment.

Just because you have a bare-bones motherboard doesn't mean the audio sucks - it's more likely to be better than high-end motherboards due to the impedance mismatch of the most common handful of op amps they use on "better" on board as well as sound cards.

I'll be receiving a Pioneer SE-A1000 on Thursday and will let you know about it if you want an open option, but there are others if it doesn't pan out. For travel/closed I own a V-Moda Crossfade LP and it's nice - comes in plenty of colors too.

CLOSED

71yAY4QEjJL._SL1500_.jpg

OPEN

614xmwdO3bL._SL1123_.jpg