Anyone here recommend how to proceed with this 3S Lipo

Ruhel

I've unfortunately left my Turnigy Nano-Tech 6000mAh 3S Lipo (25-50C Discharge) in storage for much longer than recommended (2 Years). Prior to putting into storage I made sure the battery was cycled/balanced charged then discharged to storage voltage 3.8v per cell. Due to multiple things happening in my life I haven't used it since then. I pulled it out and checked the voltage and the cells have a mismatch in voltage.

30155469-2a70-4a6c-aeed-bab909c379cf.jpg

Should I balance charge it first and then cycle it or discharge it to 3v per cell and balance charge it from there?

Also the Lipo does seem to have a slight bulge. Nothing too serious. 

A1400738-29B5-46B2-912E-DBA6B2B4F70D.jpg

795ccc61-75b3-4870-a7df-8bf720785f82.jpg

Should I risk using it or just dispose of it? I've connected it to a 1amp draw to see what happens and its discharging ok.

Cheers

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

try pumping in a slight charge current (in a safe place) and monitor it closely, if it starts to do anything weird unplug it and throw it as far away as you can.

if its still powering a decent load it *should* be fine.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

try pumping in a slight charge current (in a safe place) and monitor it closely, if it starts to do anything weird unplug it and throw it as far away as you can.

if its still powering a decent load it *should* be fine.

I have a Mamba Monster Max with Castle Creations motor. Gonna hook it up and slowly ramp up the speeds. Lets see what happens then.

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

7 minutes ago, Ruhel said:

I have a Mamba Monster Max with Castle Creations motor. Gonna hook it up and slowly ramp up the speeds. Lets see what happens then.

when i'm dealing with li-ion batteries i generally just test them with a 12 volt halogen bulb, but i'd say be a bit more careful than that with a lipo xD

I think rcmodelreviews did a video on what to do with a lipo that's flat, not sure if this applies. 

ASU

9 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I think rcmodelreviews did a video on what to do with a lipo that's flat, not sure if this applies. 

I was going to discharge it but put it back in my car and took it for a bash around the car park. Worked fine. Balanced charged it and it's not perfectly balanced. 

2BADA822-1A62-4222-A3D8-25F823A40503.jpg

MSI Nightblade MI2

Your charger may be capable of rebalancing the cells. Don't know how that would work though. I would be extremely cautious about inflated cells, LiPos can be extremely volatile.

You'd probably save more time just to buy a new Lipo, then have more fun blowing up your old one.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

5 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

You'd probably save more time just to buy a new Lipo, then have more fun blowing up your old one.

:D Hmm nice idea!!

MSI Nightblade MI2