Can't play 4K smoothly

254732_1454182039

Hey everyone,

I'm using KCP ( http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack ) with the settings to Highest Tier. It plays all 1080P H264 movies perfectly, I decided to download a few 4K video tests, I think it was from 4ksamples.com and some from other places and to my surprise it plays choppy as hell, the CPU instantly goes up to 55C (from 28C), shouldn't MadVR be using the GPU for rendering this? My specs should be more than enough to handle 4K video right? 

i5 4690K

16GB ram

GTX970

Videos I used to test: http://i.imgur.com/CfEShlv.png

Only BBB Sunflower 60FPS worked 100% smoothly.

Could anyone shed some light? 

Thanks

What is your gpu?

########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
########################
#######################

you have been visited by ascii stephen harper the pc builder

nothing bad will happen to you unless if you post "ignfdofsginedsoignoifdn" in this thread

why? because you'll be banned for spam

lol

look at the bitrates of the samples

also try Media Player Classic Home Cinema 64-bit with K-Lite codec pack

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, AIJ said:

What is your gpu?

970gtx

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

look at the bitrates of the samples

also try Media Player Classic Home Cinema 64-bit with K-Lite codec pack

Yes, 400MBPS, 10bit. Still, wouldn't it be possible to play those with this rig? 

3 minutes ago, 254732_1454182039 said:

Yes, 400MBPS, 10bit. Still, wouldn't it be possible to play those with this rig? 

are the samples located on a mechanical hard drive?

try moving them to an SSD and play again

also can you link where can we download the samples?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

are the samples located on a mechanical hard drive?

try moving them to an SSD and play again

also can you link where can we download the samples?

It's in a mechanical yes, will try moving to the SSD.

http://jell.yfish.us/

http://hdrsamples.com/exodus-4k-uhd-hdr-sample-footage/

http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html

The jellyfish one, even on an SSD is very very choppy. Straight up uses all of CPU. Download the last one in the list, 400MBPS, 10bit HVEC

I just checked a H264 1080P video and it's using my cards Video engine by about 30-40%. With the Jellyfish, even the 160MBPS version is using only 20%, as well as the 400MBPS. It's basically shifting to the CPU, I don't really get why...

It is choppy as hell on my system too and I tried playing it off my boot drive which is an NVME SSD. I have a 6600K running at 4.6 and a 980ti. I tried it with MPC-HC.

All on MPC-HC 64-bit (K-Lite codec pack), source files located on the OCZ Vector:

Exodus_UHD_HDR_Exodus_draft - butter smooth, CPU @ 30%, GPU load negligible but not idle either

jellyfish-250-mbps-4k-uhd-h264 - butter smooth, CPU @ 40%, GPU load negligible but not idle either
jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit - choppy for the first 5 seconds, butter smooth afterwards, CPU @ 100% for the entire run, GPU load noticeable - spiking to 70%, 90% occasionally but still in 2D mode (300MHz core)

bbb_sunflower_2160p_60fps_normal - butter smooth, CPU @ 20%, GPU load noticeable - spiking to 70%, 100%, GPU clock shifted to 400~500MHz (not completely idle)

bbb_sunflower_native_60fps_normal - butter smooth, CPU @ 20%, GPU load noticeable - spiking to 70%, 100%, GPU clock shifted to 400~500MHz (not completely idle)

It would appear I don't have proper HEVC 10bit hardware acceleration support,

which is not that surprising knowing that only GTX960 supports hardware acceleration of 10bit HEVC

RI9u7vX.png

table by anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9152/futureproofing-htpcs-for-the-4k-era-hdmi-hdcp-and-hevc

apparently PowerDVD offers Hybrid acceleration of HEVC 10bit on R9 Fury with the help of OpenCL, but it is still not proper hardware acceleration

Interesting. I guess it's due to your i7 being able to handle a beating much more than an i5. No idea GM204s didn't have 10b hardware support, wow that's pretty rough, guess that explains the shift into CPU when playing those.

Guys, 400mbit is only 50MB/s, even a mechanical drive can spit that out without breaking a sweat. :P

Your problem is somewhere with hardware acceleration not working or not possible, as stated above with 10bit, and no Intel CPU having enough raw CPU power to decode 60fps 4K HEVC files.  The problem there is the frame rate, even my 4930K (I have AMD GPUs so zero HEVC hardware decoding) can't decode 4K 60fps HEVC cables in real time because the power in the CPU and the efficiency in the open source codecs just aren't there.  Even overclocked to 4.6ghz, the hex core 4930K couldn't get it done.