Best Wireless Network Solution For Your PC Under $100?

spiker907

ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 PCI-E Adapter (PCE-AC68) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F42V83C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_rJW9wbYS3QCGB

If you have the router to go with it. A bit overkill though.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

I don't have any benchmarks, but I'm pretty sure MU-MIMO (AC 2) is better than 802.11ac (AC 1). But that's just an assumption

For the Love of god, dont use USB. USB networking devices tend to be shit, doesnt matter what standard they are. Use and internal option if you can. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

For the Love of god, don't use USB. USB networking devices tend to be shit, doesn't matter what standard they are. Use and internal option if you can. 

Can you suggest one?

If it were me Id buy the one @VinsinityKT suggested. Considering the last WiFi card I used was a dual band wireless N card. The best bet is buy the one that fits your router. So if you have an AC 1750 Router, get an AC1750 wifi card. Or buy a WiFi card that is over kills, thats cool too. However before I got to have a wired connection I considered that ASUS card above, as it seemed pretty good. 

I'll add to the chorus of people suggesting the PCI-E NIC. Not because your speeds will be "bottlenecked" by USB but because of antennae size and the amount of power. You look at some of the higher end PCI-E Wireless cards and you'll notice that there's a fairly decent heatsink. That's not for show. It's also the reason why you'll never see "full speed" wireless AC on mobiles and tablets even if they technically "match the spec". Well, unless you have the device pressed up against your access point I guess...

As for spec shopping? AC1900 is the highest that's worth getting both for clients and access points. All of the higher "spec" stuff currently on the market is for multiple users. You pay a premium for it and probably won't run into many scenarios where it makes a difference. And if you do you're probably better off going all out and running network cables through your walls.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Still a USB solution will suck.  They tend to be limited and at least in my experience flaky. You will get better results from a PCI solution. If you have to go with a USB solution make sure it has external antenna's. 

Also having a MU-MIMO router doesn't take out the fact, WiFi is very unpredictable. Just because you have the latest and greatest doesn't mean you will achieve rated speeds. Honestly I expect to get 1/2 to 1/3 of what my wireless is rated for. Really I think the MU-MIMO really helps in areas where you have tons of devices. 

I feel you would be better off getting a wireless card that fits your router as I said above. I looked at that Linksys adapter you linked more closely and its on the very low end. Id go with the ASUS one because at @skywake stated it should give better performance, as it has more and bigger antenna's.