Virtual Desktop 1.0

Just now, BabbaHimself2014 said:

A virtual reality for all programs in Windows, with this you can even plan non-Steam games and watch Netflix in a virtual theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjE6qXd6Itw0

This... this seems like the most unintuitive, most unusable desktop experience I can possibly imagine...

Why would anyone want to do this, aside from the 5 minutes of novelty experience and feeling? Once that wears off, you'll realize (Oh shit, now I have to get work done... back to normal desktop).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This... this seems like the most unintuitive, most unusable desktop experience I can possibly imagine...

Why would anyone want to do this, aside from the 5 minutes of novelty experience and feeling? Once that wears off, you'll realize (Oh shit, now I have to get work done... back to normal desktop).

I can see future implementations of this actually using a full, spherical shape for the desktop. So I could have Chrome open in front of me, while After Effects is open behind me, and Photoshop is off to the right.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Just now, yorkiesandskittles said:

I can see future implementations of this actually using a full, spherical shape for the desktop. So I could have Chrome open in front of me, while After Effects is open behind me, and Photoshop is off to the right.

Some variation of this, could, some day, work. But lets take the example you're using. Let's say you want to use After Effects. You really going to spin your head around and look behind you while you use it? No.

The kind of VR experience like that will require on the fly remapping of the desktop (Eg: You look at AE, and it spins into the forefront so you no longer have to turn your head).

Never the less, the kind of thing you're thinking of, and actually be usable and superior to a multi-monitor setup (Space constraints not withstanding) is still quite some time away.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

variation of this, could, some day, work. But lets take the example you're using. Let's say you want to use After Effects. You really going to spin your head around and look behind you while you use it? No.

The kind of VR experience like that will require on the fly remapping of the desktop (Eg: You look at AE, and it spins into the forefront so you no longer have to turn your head).

Never the less, the kind of thing you're thinking of, and actually be usable and superior to a multi-monitor setup (Space constraints not withstanding) is still quite some time away.

Why do you have to look behind you? I think you could use a gesture to turn it like a wheel to look at what you want. or use side by side windows just like in a normal desktop view. you could expand and shrink it to whatever size you want.

1 hour ago, yorkiesandskittles said:

1 hour ago, BabbaHimself2014 said:

Why do you have to look behind you? I think you could use a gesture to turn it like a wheel to look at what you want. or use side by side windows just like in a normal desktop view. you could expand and shrink it to whatever size you want.

Don't tell me why he used that as an example. I'm just working with the scenario given. And I've already mentioned it would work better if you're able to quickly and efficiently move which "Program" is in view, rather than having to turn your head to look at it.

Looks great, and pretty useful, to me. Desktop work is like only a small part of what this is good for, and what features in the video.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

There's a way to fool Windows into think it has more displays connected that what it actually has, so it might be feasible into having a virtual triple (or even 5 vertical) displays without having the 3 monitors, and it has massive advantage of being fully seamless because the screens has no borders

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

2 hours ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

There's a way to fool Windows into think it has more displays connected that what it actually has, so it might be feasible into having a virtual triple (or even 5 vertical) displays without having the 3 monitors, and it has massive advantage of being fully seamless because the screens has no borders

this and this helps with legacy game support, or using normal apps. If I get the Rift I want to be able to use any game and normal desktop apps. so I am not limited to VR games only. it will then make it easier to pay $500 when you can use it all the time with anything.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

This looks soooo cool. One of the reasons I haven't ordered a VR headset yet was because it seems to be limited to supported games only. I wanted to watch 3D videos and see 360 videos/photos. If this app can do all that natively then I'm all in when VR is more affordable in UK and are stocked by other merchants. The VAT/Shipping on both the Rift/Vive are ridiculous right now.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

I don't think a VR experience is right for desktop use. It's not very efficient. And I don't think it ever will be until we use brain interfaces but even then I think a mouse and keyboard would be faster. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It could make using your desktop a little more interesting....sure it wouldn't improve productivity but you could be using your desktop as an entire space battle happens around you or the universe forming or something equally awesome to be in the middle of as your working on your boring ass spreadsheet.