Are SSHDs for anything other than Apps?

skywake
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

A sshd automatically caches what you use the most so that you can access it faster.For most media files, you wouldn't notice the difference and a NAS would most likely be bottlenecked too much by your network connection for the cache to matter.

Basically, use a sshd if you can't get a ssd for your programs and os. 

Now that there are large capacity 3.5" hybrid drives I was curious what everyone thinks about using Hybrid Drives for anything other than OS/Applications. Is there any real benefit for people who use their mass storage for backup and/or media files? Would you notice any improvement in performance if you put a bunch of these in a NAS instead of standard drives? What about a local RAID of SSHDs? Or are there other bottlenecks which make these drives really only useful as a simpler way to set up the now standard SSD for OS + HDD for mass storage config?

Thoughts?

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

A sshd automatically caches what you use the most so that you can access it faster.For most media files, you wouldn't notice the difference and a NAS would most likely be bottlenecked too much by your network connection for the cache to matter.

Basically, use a sshd if you can't get a ssd for your programs and os. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Apparently 5TB HDDs are coming soon. That'll be better for your NAS. That plus having say a 30GB or 60GB SSD for a cache would probably be better.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

There's a general rule about posts that have a question in the title, the author already knows the answer and the answer is no. :)

I wasn't intending on doing this myself I was just curious about what everyone else thought.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing