Real Computer vs Virtual Computer

Go to solution Solved by DXMember,

yes the virtualization software llinux uses in his videos is not the same as running a vmware with a host os

he basically natively runs the stuff on the hardware not really a virtualization, more like clustering

Hi there! I just saw a recent Linus's video "Real Computer vs Virtual Computer" and my brain was broken! I'm not even close to see "a similar performence" between VM and Real Metal. When I'm trying to play games via VM Workstation or Parallels Desktop the performance difference is VERY noticeable. Am I missing something? 

Thank you!

yes the virtualization software llinux uses in his videos is not the same as running a vmware with a host os

he basically natively runs the stuff on the hardware not really a virtualization, more like clustering

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

He's using a hypervisor, not a VM within an OS.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Prysin said:

So another half assed video then.

Explain?

Just now, Prysin said:

For the past 1-2months the LTT videos has been misinformed, of lower quality or simply not even consistent enough to have trustworthy results 

What has this got to do with the thread though?

Just now, Prysin said:

If what you say is true. Then Linus never tested a real VM setup, instead he tested something else and presented it as a real VM 

But it is considered a VM.  A hypervisor is a super thin layer that sits underneath the VMs.  It doesn't run anything except spawn VMs.  Imagine Windows with EVERYTHING removed and only the parts that are required to host a VM enabled.  You're never gonna interface with the host OS anyway even if it's Windows running a VM of Windows.  Once it's setup, you manage it remotely and with different control panel.  Functionally a hypervisor and a Windows/Linux host is the same.

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

If what you say is true. Then Linus never tested a real VM setup, instead he tested something else and presented it as a real VM 

Fucking what? I didn't watch the vid... But a bare-metal hypervisor is absolutely virtualization. A hypervisor is an OS that can create VMs within a bare-metal server.

31 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Fucking what? I didn't watch the vid... But a bare-metal hypervisor is absolutely virtualization. A hypervisor is an OS that can create VMs within a bare-metal server.

But you are still relying on a Windows kernel with a overlaying management layer and not a hardware level VM 

21 minutes ago, Prysin said:

But you are still relying on a Windows kernel with a overlaying management layer and not a hardware level VM 

What?

What I'm talking about: Thowing ESXI / Citrix Xenserver / HyperV on the BARE METAL, then spinning up a bunch of VMs. Is that not what Linus does here?

I admit, I haven't studied, in depth, what Linus did in his video around virtualization.  But if one's hardware supports VT-d, which is basically PCI/PCI-E pass-through right to a virtual machine instance, the graphics hardware has a 'direct' connection to the VM and doesn't need to go through a hardware abstraction interface prior to being displayed.

Most 'consumer' machines, especially gaming machines, are not equipped for VT-d (or AMD-V) these days.  It requires a compatible chip (generally "K"-SKU CPU's need not apply), a compatible motherboard chipset, compatible firmware, and a compatible virtualization kernel.  As well as such pass-through feature turned on and configured correctly. 

OP you are missing something, and that's which software you use and what features your computer supports. What Linus used was a type-1 hypervisors, and you are most likely using type-2. unRAID, which is the OS Linus uses, has the Xen hypervisor. It is a type-1 hypervisor which means that instead of having to visualizer a bunch of hardware that the VM uses, the VM can just connect straight to the host machine's hardware. It gives much higher performance.