Pentium G3258

I'm thinking about buying a Pentium G3258 and use it with my GTX 760, Can I achieve 60fps gaming on games like GTA V and BO3?

The geek himself.

Sure.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Yep

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.3GHZ COOLER: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2  MOBO: Asus Z97-E RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 2x4GB GPU: Soon to be EVGA 1070! Case: Fractal Define S Storage:PNY 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair RM650x

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

I'm thinking about buying a Pentium G3258 and use it with my GTX 760, Can I achieve 60fps gaming on games like GTA V and BO3?

GTA will give you 30fps on ultra with at 750ti. G3258 paired with a GTX 750ti is the most budget a gaming build can get. Choose everyting else wisely and you may even wrap it up under 400 dollars

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

If you want to overclock your processor, go with G3258. If you're not going to pay for an overclocking motherboard or you don't want to overclock, save a few bucks and get the G3250.

12 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

GTA will give you 30fps on ultra with at 750ti. G3258 paired with a GTX 750ti is the most budget a gaming build can get. Choose everyting else wisely and you may even wrap it up under 400 dollars

Yeah but I ain't using a 750ti

The geek himself.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Yeah but I ain't using a 750ti

something better or worse?

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

something better or worse?

A 760

The geek himself.

if you don't already have a motherboard (consider skylake)  and are building new only recycling graphics card I would go for an i3 just for the fact that games are not picky about 4 cores they only need to see 4 threads. the Pentium g3258 is a great cpu but not for gaming now that ubisoft and others require 4 core cpus or at least 4 threads

there are videos out comparing ram frequency and its affect on games when using an I3, check out digital foundry they have lots of informational videos, the difference between 2133 ddr4 and 2400 ddr4 can be as much as 15% higher frame rate depending on the game.

the same can be said for ddr3 memory

57 minutes ago, Rocket01666 said:

there are videos out comparing ram frequency and its affect on games when using an I3, check out digital foundry they have lots of informational videos, the difference between 2133 ddr4 and 2400 ddr4 can be as much as 15% higher frame rate depending on the game.

the same can be said for ddr3 memory

While that's true (though I think they were comparing DDR4-2666 vs DDR4-2133), on a budget build the high speed RAM is a hard sell unless you're just using a placeholder CPU (eg, you will soon upgrade to an i5-6600k). The main reason is you need a Z-series board to overclock RAM. On a budget I'd rather put the money that would go into a Z series board and faster RAM into just getting a better CPU. Unless your plan is to go with an unlocked processor eventually in that board, then the fast RAM is an obvious choice since you're already paying for the Z-series board.

The window of opportunity appears to be closing for the G3258.  It's fine if you already have one, or can get a used one and a suitable MoBo for cheap.  But for a new purchase, now and moving forward, I'd look at a Skylake i3 with plans for future upgrades.