SSDs FOR THE WIN!

Hello! I'm about to buy my custom built PC and I've already chosen every part for it...... except the boot up drive.  I want to know which SSD would give me the fastest BOOT UP TIMES.  I'm between the intel 750 series (PCIe or 2.5 inch ones) I know that the the intel 750 series are the fastest for read and write but that doesn't matter for boot ups.  Remember, the SSD will be used for only some programs and OS so I need about 256 gb (you all know that).  

spending money on a high speed SSD for boot times is a complete waste

NVME SSDs are for content creators who actually need those speecs, not a consumer who wants 15 second boot time instead of 20

most of the benefit of an SSD comes from having programs and files on it, so instead of buying a high speed NVME drive you shoudl spend the same amount of money on a larger SATA drive

99% of everything you do will not even use the full speed of a sata SSD

so having more space is a much more important benefit

I would recommend an 850 evo 500GB or 1TB

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you can get samsung 950 pro m.2 ssd they have the 256gb version should be pretty freaking faast.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

spending money on a high speed SSD for boot times is a complete waste

NVME SSDs are for content creators who actually need those speecs, not a consumer who wants 15 second boot time instead of 20

most of the benefit of an SSD comes from having programs and files on it, so instead of buying a high speed NVME drive you shoudl spend the same amount of money on a larger SATA drive

99% of everything you do will not even use the full speed of a sata SSD

so having more space is a much more important benefit

I would recommend an 850 evo 500GB or 1TB

I currently have 4 samsung 850 EVOs on my laptop (My main drive failed and a whole other story of how I got them - RAID 0) Should I just use one of them?

1 minute ago, Josh_Galsky said:

I currently have 4 samsung 850 EVOs on my laptop (My main drive failed and a whole other story of how I got them - RAID 0) Should I just use one of them?

if they are large enough for your programs and data, then yes

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

if they are large enough for your program and dataa, then yes

Each one is 500gb but, I;m buying a 4tb WD black.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

if they are large enough for your program and dataa, then yes

I forgot to mention, they are m.2s

3 minutes ago, Josh_Galsky said:

Yes just use one of them.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 minutes ago, Josh_Galsky said:

do you have an M.2 port on your motherboard?

you need to make sure that whatever M.2 port you have is the same type as the SSD, either PCIe or SATA or both

because you cant use PCIe m.2 drives in a sata M.2 port

if you dont have a port, then you need to use a PCIe adapter to M.2, and this will only work if the drivers are PCIe and not sata

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

do you have an M.2 port on your motherboard?

you need to make sure that whatever M.2 port you have is the same type as the SSD, either PCIe or SATA or both

because you cant use PCIe m.2 drives in a sata M.2 port

if you dont have a port, then you need to use a PCIe adapter to M.2, and this will only work if the drivers are PCIe and not sata

My mother board is:

http://www.amazon.com/Z170A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM-EDITION/dp/B014PXH3CU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

(white build)

3 minutes ago, Josh_Galsky said:

well it has two M.2 ports but it doesnt say whether they are sata or PCIe

I also dont know if your SSDs are sata or PCIe so i cant rellay tell you if they are compatible...

Spoiler

If you are on a budget the sandisk ultra 2 that i have is under 130$ for 480gb. I got mine for 110 last year.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

I tried out a Samsung 950 Pro before and I see no difference between that and a ordinary SSD. Spend on your money on a better gpu or save up and get a better future gpu.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list