Cherry MX black o-rings

noisebomb44

What type of O ring should i get for my MX black keyboard if i want it to be silent without sacrificing too much travel distance  

1 member has voted

1. 1. .

• Blue O rings
    • Red O rings
    • Black O rings

So i have a MX black keyboard that i feel sound a bit too loud so i went and looked up some o-rings, but there are 3 types of them, each with their own thickness.

I want to make my keyboard as silent as i can get it while still feeling like a mechanical keyboard, should i just go with the MX blue ones then, or isnt there a lot of difference in sound between blue and red while using MX black keys?

I googled it a while and didnt come across much, does anyone here have any experience with MX black keys and o-rings?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

i have just got my order of blue rings ( white in color though) and the difference is in thickness and hardness. i got the 40a hardness the reds are i believe 60. the dampening in sound is not that different. the springiness of the rubber is what you feel in difference.

58 minutes ago, JPotze said:

i have just got my order of blue rings ( white in color though) and the difference is in thickness and hardness. i got the 40a hardness the reds are i believe 60. the dampening in sound is not that different. the springiness of the rubber is what you feel in difference.

what cherry MX switches are you using?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Cherry MX red o-rings: 40A-L .2mm 

Cherry MX blue o-rings: 40A-R .4mm 

Rosewill clear o-rings: 40A-L

Max Keyboard black o-rings: 50A-R .4mm

I've been thinking of trying the R size o rings. They're supposed to be double the travel reduction as the red, which you'd think just installing 2 of the L size would be equivalent, but having installed double Ls I think it would still actually be different from a single R. As it is with double Ls I start to feel resistance before I even get to the actuation point. It's too bad I haven't seen an R in clear. I don't see any reason to get any opaque rings since clear just makes it even more compatible with backlighting and does not affect non-backlit caps.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS