$10,000 Video Editing PC Advice

Spewky

Hey LTT Community, 

So here's the deal, my friend is wanting to build a $10,000 video editing PC (windows) and that is including shipping.

POSSIBLE IDEA:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rqBtVn

Leaves $3000 for water cooling, radiators, fans, accessories etc. 

What he needs / wants:

- a lot of storage (SSD and also in PCI-E SSDs, not sure the name)

- custom water cooling (graphics cards and processor)

- a lot of graphics power for the 4k monitors (as he shoots his videos in 4k and edits them in 4k, prefers NVIDIA)

- a lot of processor power / cores for his video editing with a decent processing power (prefers intel)

- wants blue custom water cooling and for it to all be visible

- wants a very large case and likes the thought of a Corsair 900D

WHAT WE NEED THE MOST HELP ON!!!

- CUSTOM WATER COOLING COMPONENTS

- BOTH CPU AND GPU(S)

- VISIBLE PUMP, RES, TUBES

What he has:

- keyboard

- 6x 4k monitors

- mouse

- headphones  

So we're both open for any recommendations and suggestions for this but it's max is 10,000 USD (including shipping) and is willing to order it from anywhere

Thanks!

and build a nice system around that for like 2k ;)

quatro's are awesome working machines for rendering etc but they arent made for gaming

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 minute ago, Bl00dgod said:

and build a nice system around that for like 2k ;)

quatro's are awesome working machines for rendering etc but they arent made for gaming

But those 6 4k monitor will cost alot. 

Magical Pineapples

idk if there are any waterblocks for quadros tho.. probably should go for 4 titan x's then

5960x- 1000

4 titans- 4000 

Motherboard + Ram~ 500-600

Watercooling ~ 1000

PSU~ 200

SSD Sata 3 1tb- 250

2 6tb wd black- 700

Total~ 7700

Option 2

3 titans- 3000

Intel 750 1.4 tb- 1000

Total~7500

Why does he need six 4K monitors?  That's overkill.  For most 4K video editors, at most two 4K monitors is enough, or a single 4K monitor for previewing and scrubbing footage while having a secondary monitor that is not 4K on the side for looking at the controls in the NLE (e.g. Premiere Pro).

If your friend wants to be a colorist, he needs a color accurate 4K monitor (DELL UP2715K or DELL UP3216Q), with a Quadro GPU for 10-bit color support. He can pair a Quadro K2200 for 10-bit color support and 980ti for CUDA power.

Then add perhaps a Sony 40" TV to also check footage to see what it will look like on a consumer TV.

Buy DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio.

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/09/complete-guide-setting-up-home-color-grading-suite

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

18 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

he already owns the displays ;)

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

seems like a waste imo. You could wait for the new CPU gen to come out that may have 10-12 core CPUS Enthusiast grade. I just dont see why he bought 6 4k monitors, he needs someone to control his spending and money tbh. The most i see 99% of the video editors out there is 3-4 (Mostly 2). The only 1% goes to Auto cad and Security cam monitoring. Custom liquid cooling should be done by someone who knows what they are doing, or else you risk spending 7k on parts and 1.5k+ on water cooling tubing just to have it leak all over the parts and ruin them. 

45 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Already has them from his past computer which he's sold. 

27 minutes ago, ALwin said:

-snip-

Already has them and wants it as overkill as it gets for the money

I'll check out all this stuff and ask him about it.

PS. Already has the monitors and wants it overkill af. 

13 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

seems like a waste imo. You could wait for the new CPU gen to come out that may have 10-12 core CPUS Enthusiast grade. I just dont see why he bought 6 4k monitors, he needs someone to control his spending and money tbh. The most i see 99% of the video editors out there is 3-4 (Mostly 2). The only 1% goes to Auto cad and Security cam monitoring. Custom liquid cooling should be done by someone who knows what they are doing, or else you risk spending 7k on parts and 1.5k+ on water cooling tubing just to have it leak all over the parts and ruin them. 

It really is a waste, the OP says his friend already has six 4K monitors.  Most likely consumer grade 4K with only 8-bit color.

Well, I guess the saying you can't teach fools is right.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Here's a list I've come up with:

Suggestions? I'll probably go cheaper with the RAM as it's crazy expensive, even though he wants it overkill. 

I've left $3000 for water cooling components, fans, accessories etc.

What the main focus now is the custom cooling which I have no clue what to look for. So yeah, please make suggestions, thanks. 

1 hour ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Here's a list I've come up with:

Suggestions? I'll probably go cheaper with the RAM as it's crazy expensive, even though he wants it overkill. 

I've left $3000 for water cooling components, fans, accessories etc.

What the main focus now is the custom cooling which I have no clue what to look for. So yeah, please make suggestions, thanks. 

MSI X99A SLI PLUS has 4 x16 PCI e( gen 3 ) & 2 x1 PCI e ( gen 2) lanes. Intel 750 has PCI e x4 interface so after 3 way SLI only 1 PCI e x16 slot will remain to use , so you can't add 2 PCI e SSD.

Build Link : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HsMQ8d

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3400 Memory

Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)

Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case " for black blue theme "

Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (32/64-bit)
Total: $7018.88

Ok, thanks @amit523dutta

The build you made seems great, but my friend wants a Corsair 900D so I'll incorporate that in.

Can you explain the M.2 SSD and how that works and if you have any recommendations on how he should use each storage drive??

Also @amit523dutta do you have any recommendations to GPU water blocks and CPU blocks we should use for these things or just any of the water cooling things needed?

Thanks again :)

3 hours ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Ok, thanks @amit523dutta

The build you made seems great, but my friend wants a Corsair 900D so I'll incorporate that in.

Can you explain the M.2 SSD and how that works and if you have any recommendations on how he should use each storage drive??

In short M.2 is much faster and much smaller. For more info :

4 hours ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Ok, thanks @amit523dutta

If you want to know where is your M.2 port available than check the manufacturer site. The mobo i choose for you, has m.2 slot between PCI e slot.

five_pictures7_3241_20141028180700.png.bm2x4_highlight_x99.jpg.1e463ff6dcbffce8f

4 hours ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Also @amit523dutta do you have any recommendations to GPU water blocks and CPU blocks we should use for these things or just any of the water cooling things needed?

Thanks again :)

For water block i will not make any recommendation because i have no experience with water cooling with that kind of build. ( by build i mean = 3 way titan X sli ) So i will say, ask this question in liquid and exotic cooling section they will give you much better answer than me.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/36-liquid-and-exotic-cooling/

5 hours ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Ok, thanks @amit523dutta

Sorry bro, i made a little mistake, i choose incorrect mother board. I was going to choose GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI. because of the space between PCI e slot.

MSI x99 SLI PLUS and GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI , both will give you 4 x16 slot but in case of MSI space between last two PCI e slot is very less so after 3 way SLI, you will not be able to insert PCI e SSD.

So'

if you are buying MSI, replace that intel PCI e SSD with samsung 850 pro 1tb/2tb

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hfc3C

if you are buying gigabyte mother board than you don't need to change anything else.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KQk3Vn

And how to use storage: 

1)boot : M.2

2) file that need regular access : PCI e / 850 pro

3) Backup or data that don't need regular access : HDD

850 pro                                                                                 750

• Max Sequential Read : Up to 550 MBps                     Max Sequential Read : Up to 2500 MBps
  • Max Sequential Write : Up to 520 MBps                     Max Sequential Write : Up to 1200 MBps
  • 4KB Random Read : Up to 100,000 IOPS                 4KB Random Read : Up to 460,000 IOPS
  • 4KB Random Write : Up to 90,000 IOPS :                 4KB Random Write : Up to 290,000 IOPS
  • MTBF : 2,000,000 hours                                             MTBF : 1,200,000 hours
  • Warranty : 10 years                                                    Warranty : 5 year
  • 2Tb = $ 879 USD  (newegg)                                       1.2Tb = $ 1067 USD (newegg)

In terms of performance 750 is best and in terms of reliability & capacity 850 is best, now choice is your weather you will change mobo to fit 750 or you will change 750 with 850 pro

Note : i will go with MSI SLI and i will change 750 with 850 pro because i already have M.2 for fast boot drive and i don't need that much speed (2,500)to access data & you said you want a lot of capacity so 850 is best solution in terms of capacity & reliability , this is what i will do according to my thoughts.

I already write down spec, i hope it will help you to choose weather you will change mobo to insert 750 or you will keep mobo and change SSD from PCI e to SATA.

11 hours ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Hey LTT Community, 

So here's the deal, my friend is wanting to build a $10,000 video editing PC (windows) and that is including shipping.

POSSIBLE IDEA:

Leaves $3000 for water cooling, radiators, fans, accessories etc. 

What he needs / wants:

- a lot of storage (SSD and also in PCI-E SSDs, not sure the name)

- custom water cooling (graphics cards and processor)

- a lot of graphics power for the 4k monitors (as he shoots his videos in 4k and edits them in 4k, prefers NVIDIA)

- a lot of processor power / cores for his video editing with a decent processing power (prefers intel)

- wants blue custom water cooling and for it to all be visible

- wants a very large case and likes the thought of a Corsair 900D

WHAT WE NEED THE MOST HELP ON!!!

- CUSTOM WATER COOLING COMPONENTS

- BOTH CPU AND GPU(S)

- VISIBLE PUMP, RES, TUBES

What he has:

- keyboard

- 6x 4k monitors

- mouse

- headphones  

So we're both open for any recommendations and suggestions for this but it's max is 10,000 USD (including shipping) and is willing to order it from anywhere

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2660 V3 2.6GHz 10-Core Processor  ($1359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z10PE-D8 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($548.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($1067.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($609.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($609.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case  ($207.00 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($392.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $6876.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-23 14:46 EDT-0400

He might consider dual Xeons.

6 hours ago, tataklee said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus Z10PE-D8 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($548.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($1067.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case  ($207.00 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($392.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $6876.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-23 14:46 EDT-0400

He might consider dual Xeons.

Oh ok, and should he have more processing power than graphics power for video editing?