Repurposing my old desktop

Moonzy

err...  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Purpose for this Machine?

• NAS
    • Internet Browsing Machine
    • Cabbage (turnip is too mainstream)

So there's this old desktop I have that isn't being used for anything currently except collecting dusts, might have 2 purpose though, depending on which is more suitable

Specs: (cant even find the parts on pc part picker, im sry)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz 2.94GHz (it wrote two clock speed at the computer's properties so i just copied it)

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock

Motherboard: Asus P5G41C-M LX (Micro ATX board)

RAM: 2+1 GB DDR2

Storage: Varies, but HDD

Video Card: Nvidia GT 9600 (Old) or ATI Radeon x550 (from before ATI was acquired by AMD, i think)

Power Supply: Some sketchy 230W Continuous/550W peak PSU

Case: Some random case, nothing fancy

so... I'm either going to use it as a NAS (though i dont know how to set up one) or sell(?) it to my friend for his parents' use for reading online articles

my question is, is this computer suitable for normal web browsing for a couple years to come?

the most likely outcome is to sell(?) it to my friend so his parents can have a desktop for internet browsing

might add an SSD and remove the gpu (it has integrated graphics, albeit VGA out)

but if it isnt going to last for internet browsing, i might as well setup a NAS for my family that likes to download a ton of anime/movies (though we already have one and hardly ever touch it)

or just let it continue collecting dusts lol (the most likely outcome if its left with me)

what do you guys think?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Why not give it to your best buddy ProKeero?

Kek

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

I'd set up a NAS.

Check out FreeNas. It's a great, free program that you can use to turn an unused system into a NAS.

Or you could give it to me

top kek

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, ProKeero said:

i believe the shipping fee is worth more than the desktop, lol

Just now, Moonzy said:

LOL so true :(

Also did you see my post recently about overclocking? one of the tags was *Moonzy pls*

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

send it to @themctipers and ill use it as a minecraft server....

go fold on it c:

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

send it to @themctipers and ill use it as a minecraft server....

go fold on it c:

is it even worth the electric bill to fold on this old machine? efficiency of old hardware isnt that great

i'd rather fold with my current desktop, though im not because im not paying the bills >.> yet

Just now, ProKeero said:

did you see my post recently about overclocking?

nah i didnt, a bit occupied by anime lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

is it even worth the electric bill to fold on this old machine? efficiency of old hardware isnt that great

i'd rather fold with my current desktop, though im not because im not paying the bills >.> yet

send it to @themctipers please

i need working computers c:

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Ahh i've been busy with doing nothing! xD

1 minute ago, Yummychickenblue said:

anything possible for the right price ;)

in canada .-.

core 2 duo .-.

$30!

(CAD of course!)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Grab a Q6600, and a few more gigs of RAM and it'll be pretty sweet.

i dont really intend to upgrade it, even if i do, it'll just be to swap out those 3gb of ddr2 for 4gb ddr3, which isnt even worth it tbh

im just wondering if this machine be able to browse internet for at least a few years to come so i can just sell it to my friend on the cheap

Just now, themctipers said:

send it to @themctipers please

i need working computers c:

Just now, Moonzy said:

Just now, ProKeero said:

Ahh i've been busy with doing nothing! xD

damn that nothing, always taking up time to do

It'll definitely be able to do web browsing, I actually have a very similar system at my school running Windows Server 2012 as a NAS for my Game Design class.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Just now, Moonzy said:

i dont really intend to upgrade it, even if i do, it'll just be to swap out those 3gb of ddr2 for 4gb ddr3, which isnt even worth it tbh

im just wondering if this machine be able to browse internet for at least a few years to come so i can just sell it to my friend on the cheap

damn that nothing, always taking up time to do

Lol soon i will be a full time forum warrior known as *ProKeero the overclocker* or ProKeero the gay boy* xD

I had a levono sitting around decent specs made it into a movie machine with Ubuntu (never used it btw thats why) and also watch all my anime from it :D while chilling in bed life is good lol 

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

It would be fine for web browsing or a NAS. It's really up to you.

Just now, BurnerMC said:

Install Linux and make into a NAS.

not an option, im only familiar with windows and cbf to learn linux ._.
and making a NAS requires me to learn everything from scratch :(

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

It'll definitely be able to do web browsing, I actually have a very similar system at my school running Windows Server 2012 as a NAS for my Game Design class.

i suppose so... it'll be mainly used to read articles and manga online, but the question is will it last for about 5 years?

because its for his parents so i wouldnt want it to lag and gives a bad experience in a few years to come

Just now, Ace0100 said:

I had a levono sitting around decent specs made it into a movie machine with Ubuntu (never used it btw thats why) and also watch all my anime from it :D while chilling in bed life is good lol 

i have my current desktop driving a TV next to my bed, so all is well ;)

watching-anime-on-the-bed life is THE life

Just now, iTech said:

It would be fine for web browsing or a NAS. It's really up to you.

well, then perhaps ill sell it to my friend on the cheap lol