Building A New HTPC/NAS: Overkill?

So I'm building a new HTPC that will also function as a NAS server. I have a parts list set out, but I get an inkling that it's slightly overkill.

Goals:

1. Costs less than $500.
  2. Run as a headless server sitting on a shelf, being quiet as possible.
  3. Case is non-negotiable, since I find the Node 304 to be ideal for display on a shelf.
  4. Runs Ubuntu or some other user-friendly Linux distro. I'm not interested in paying for Windows.
  5. Accessible GUI from my regular Windows 10 desktop.
  6. Must be able to run PLEX 24/7 with all of its features including transcoding etc. for 1080p videos.
  7. Should also have other media server software that is more friendly to "private" videos. Plex does not easily comprehend standalone files organized neatly into folders.
  8. Have the ability to sync certain folders/drives with multiple services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc. Let's call this the "important shit" drive. Every service should simultaneously have one copy of the contents of this drive.
  9. Safe, stable, long term storage of media files including photos, videos, etc. No RAID, because it just isn't necessary for these files. The stuff I'd want in RAID is already in the "important shit" drive. Let Google handle the advanced backup stuff.

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vRk7cf

What do you guys think?

I am also very familiar with how to build a gaming PC that is stable, efficient, quiet and will crush any modern AAA games. Hell, I can even RGB, water cool, and overclock the shit out of the system. I've built multiples of such PCs. However, when it comes to quiet, efficient and low-powered computers that will run 24/7 in the background, doing its thing, and just has to play high resolution videos over the network for minimum cost, I don't have a clue. I don't keep up with the mid to low end of CPUs for example.

So right now I know how to get myself from Goals 1 through 4, but I don't know how to get from 5 to 9.

Help?

5 minutes ago, DaAznKnight said:

So I'm building a new HTPC that will also function as a NAS. I have a parts list set out, but I get an inkling that it's slightly overkill.

Goals:

1. Costs less than $500.
  3. Case is non-negotiable, since I find the Node 304 to be ideal for display on a shelf.
  4. Runs Ubuntu or some other user-friendly Linux distro. I'm not interested in paying for Windows.
  6. Must be able to run PLEX 24/7 with all of its features including transcoding etc. for 1080p and 4k videos.
  7. Should also have other media server software that is more friendly to "private" videos. Plex does not easily comprehend standalone files organized neatly into folders.
  8. Have the ability to sync certain folders/drives with multiple services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc. Let's call this the "important shit" drive. Every service should simultaneously have one copy of the contents of this drive.
  9. Safe, stable, long term storage of media files including photos, videos, etc. No RAID, because it just isn't necessary for these files. The stuff I'd want in RAID is already in the "important shit" drive. Let Google handle the advanced backup stuff.

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F4DMJx

What do you guys think?

I am also very familiar with how to build a gaming PC that is stable, efficient, quiet and will crush any modern AAA games. Hell, I can even RGB, water cool, and overclock the shit out of the system. I've built multiples of such PCs. However, when it comes to quiet, efficient and low-powered computers that will run 24/7 in the background, doing its thing, and just has to play high resolution videos over the network for minimum cost, I don't have a clue. I don't keep up with the mid to low end of CPUs for example.

So right now I know how to get myself from Goals 1 through 4, but I don't know how to get from 5 to 9.

Help?

Anything server grade, go with intel if you can.

My native language is C++

Case looks fairly similar but half the price and smaller. Optional CPU cooler for lower noise. Bigger HDD too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($113.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($42.34 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.99 @ Directron) 
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate  5TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($161.49 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B-Q Mini ITX Tower Case  ($40.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $473.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 23:34 EDT-0400

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, DaAznKnight said:

-snip-

So I've currently got a very similar setup running in my closet that I'll probably do a new build log of once I get a new case, but I have an i3-2100, 16GB's of RAM, 3x 1TB HDD's (upgrading to 4x3TB soon) and a 600W PSU and it's great :D I've got my server running Windows Server 2012 that I got through my school along with Plex Media Server and some other programs running and the performance is awesome! I personally really like Windows OSs but it's super easy for me to remote desktop in, as my server runs entirely headless, sitting in my closet with nothing but the PC and a gigabit switch.

I get transfer speeds of roughly 112MB/s between my PC and the server and my laptop over wireless gets around 50MB/s so you should see similar performance with that hardware and you should be able to achieve most of your goals.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

6 minutes ago, DaAznKnight said:

So I'm building a new HTPC that will also function as a NAS. I have a parts list set out, but I get an inkling that it's slightly overkill.

Goals:

1. Costs less than $500.
  6. Must be able to run PLEX 24/7 with all of its features including transcoding etc. for 1080p and 4k videos.

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F4DMJx

What do you guys think?

Help?

not sure if it would be a htpc if it is headless ?

Just now, Kyle Manning said:

Anything server grade, go with intel if you can.

I'd love to. I've built a few PCs, and only one was AMD for a damn good reason.

Unfortunately, I have zero clue about Intel's lower range of processors, or what would be a "good fit" for this HTPC.

2 minutes ago, DaAznKnight said:

I'd love to. I've built a few PCs, and only one was AMD for a damn good reason.

Unfortunately, I have zero clue about Intel's lower range of processors, or what would be a "good fit" for this HTPC.

My older i3-2100 is AMAZING for this use case, so a newer i3 would be equally good significantly better.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, dave01978 said:

not sure if it would be a htpc if it is headless ?

I have the rest of my house (TV, XBox, 3-5 tablets, etc.) set up to stream from my Windows desktop already. However, it's an annoyance because my PC goes to sleep to conserve power (Duke Energy does not need my help to stay in business), and when that happens, I have no means of streaming besides going downstairs, waking the PC, and then going back upstairs to watch.

I am building this so it'll run 24/7 and I can have access to my media whenever I want.

10 hours ago, DaAznKnight said:

I have the rest of my house (TV, XBox, 3-5 tablets, etc.) set up to stream from my Windows desktop already. However, it's an annoyance because my PC goes to sleep to conserve power (Duke Energy does not need my help to stay in business), and when that happens, I have no means of streaming besides going downstairs, waking the PC, and then going back upstairs to watch.

I am building this so it'll run 24/7 and I can have access to my media whenever I want.

Yes but 'Headless' means 'Not Connected To A Monitor/Display' and 'HTPC' means 'Connected To A Display For Home Theater Purposes'.  You can't have a headless HTPC/NAS combination, because 'Headless' and 'HTPC' are mutually exclusive.

13 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Case looks fairly similar but half the price and smaller. Optional CPU cooler for lower noise. Bigger HDD too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($113.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($42.34 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.99 @ Directron) 
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate  5TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($161.49 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B-Q Mini ITX Tower Case  ($40.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $473.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 23:34 EDT-0400

I'm not 100% sure about this, but doesn't the Sugo SG13 only have 1 3.5" bay? My storage needs are ever growing. Right now I already have 6TB when I started 2 years ago with 2 TB. I'd like some expandability...

Is this an enclosed shelf? I wouldn't be putting a tiny NAS system like this in an enclosed space - once you load it up your fans are going to start getting noisey to keep the thing cool. Also headless means using without a GUI, which contradicts using it as an HTPC.

Either way - im pretty sure that CPU isn't going to support HEVC/H.265 decoding of 4K content, so playback of 4K HEVC content is going to be choppy - don't think a dual core will be up to the task - also you will find that board doesn't support HDMI2 with HDCP2.2 which HDMI2 is really required for the new 4K formats. I know the Skylake chips with the Intel 520 graphics processor will decode this but not sure about what other CPU's support it. Also not sure if that graphics core supports HDCP2.2 for protected content. As far as GPU's the GTX960 is the oldest card that supports H265/HEVC with HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2.

Any other recent chip such as that i3 should be able to decode x264 & VP9 fine though (Netflix, YouTube, etc..) - so on a budget, probably just stick to supporting 4K x264/VP9 at the most.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

23 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Is this an enclosed shelf? I wouldn't be putting a tiny NAS system like this in an enclosed space - once you load it up your fans are going to start getting noisey to keep the thing cool. Also headless means using without a GUI, which contradicts using it as an HTPC.

Either way - im pretty sure that CPU isn't going to support HEVC/H.265 decoding of 4K content, so playback of 4K HEVC content is going to be choppy - don't think a dual core will be up to the task - also you will find that board doesn't support HDMI2 with HDCP2.2 which HDMI2 is really required for the new 4K formats. I know the Skylake chips with the Intel 520 graphics processor will decode this but not sure about what other CPU's support it. Also not sure if that graphics core supports HDCP2.2 for protected content. As far as GPU's the GTX960 is the oldest card that supports H265/HEVC with HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2.

Any other recent chip such as that i3 should be able to decode x264 & VP9 fine though (Netflix, YouTube, etc..) - so on a budget, probably just stick to supporting 4K x264/VP9 at the most.

I have to agree with this, that CPU can't do software decoding of HEVC at 4K, but 1080p would be fine  However for some more money there ARE AMD APUs that have hardware accelerated decoding but it'd be a bit more expensive, still a fair bit cheaper than a GTX 960 though.  However there are also a whole RANGE of affordable intel CPUs with onboard HEVC decoding that might be a better option as well.  Though an APU can trump a good Intel CPU for gaming if you're using JUST the IGP, so if you also want to use it as a light Steam Machine, the APU would be a good choice.

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

No, it is not on an enclosed shelf. It's an open air bookshelf that my router sits on, and this NAS will sit next to it.

I think I can forgo 4K content for now, since none of my screens are 4K. However, I already have some existing content in 4K...

Not sure what you mean by HDMI2. There is no physical connection between this box and any screen. Everything will be streamed over the network. Does this matter?

54 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I have to agree with this, that CPU can't do software decoding of HEVC at 4K, but 1080p would be fine  However for some more money there ARE AMD APUs that have hardware accelerated decoding but it'd be a bit more expensive, still a fair bit cheaper than a GTX 960 though.  However there are also a whole RANGE of affordable intel CPUs with onboard HEVC decoding that might be a better option as well.  Though an APU can trump a good Intel CPU for gaming if you're using JUST the IGP, so if you also want to use it as a light Steam Machine, the APU would be a good choice.

There will be zero gaming done on this machine. I already have a beastly desktop for all my gaming needs. It will purely be used to store important files and stream media over the network.

Just now, DaAznKnight said:

There will be zero gaming done on this machine. I already have a beastly desktop for all my gaming needs. It will purely be used to store important files and stream media over the network.

...Wait, then why did you say "So I'm building a new HTPC that will also function as a NAS", if it's just streaming to other machines?  that's not an 'HTPC that will also function as a NAS', it's not an HTPC at all, it's JUST a server.  You've confused a lot of people by saying it is an HTPC as well as NAS.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

...Wait, then why did you say "So I'm building a new HTPC that will also function as a NAS", if it's just streaming to other machines?  that's not an 'HTPC that will also function as a NAS', it's not an HTPC at all, it's JUST a server.  You've confused a lot of people by saying it is an HTPC as well as NAS.

Fair enough. I'll edit the original post.

I was 10 seconds from dropping the money on these parts, and then I noticed this popped up:

• The Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Wat?

I've never had an issue with my previous builds with Corsair RAM, but does it matter at all for the i3-4160?

Updated parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vRk7cf

1.65v memory is for older CPU's. Haswell refresh should be using 1.5v memory, and Skylake should be using DDR3L (1.35v) memory.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA