2TB Server for rendering?

Hey everybody, I have recently started saying "I might upload videos daily" which now seems like a stupid idea, but I am a man of my word and need help with the cheapest possible specs for a fast, reliable and easy to use server for rendering within 2TB and 10TB what components should I use including the case?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 minute ago, GT740OC said:

Hey everybody, I have recently started saying "I might upload videos daily" which now seems like a stupid idea, but I am a man of my word and need help with the cheapest possible specs for a fast, reliable and easy to use server for rendering within 2TB and 10TB what components should I use including the case?

have 2tb of space or can render 2tb of video?

2 minutes ago, GT740OC said:

I'm kinda in the same situation. I said 2 vids a week but yeah a render server would loosen up my workflow. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

1 minute ago, GT740OC said:

If you want hard drive recommendations don't use the green drives xD. Use blacks or blues. or reds for if you need a NAS unit.

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

have 2tb of space or can render 2tb of video?

It requires 2-10TB of storage, any ideas what other components I should use?

Just now, GT740OC said:

It requires 2-10TB of storage, any ideas what other components I should use?

hard drives, lots of em

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

If you want hard drive recommendations don't use the green drives xD. Use blacks or blues. or reds for if you need a NAS unit.

Thanks, what other components (Case, motherboard...) do you recommend for these drives, also what price am I looking at for the whole unit?

Just now, Moonzy said:

hard drives, lots of em

No? just use the 8TB hard drive that seagate has made xD.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, Moonzy said:

hard drives, lots of em

And what other components?

Xeons

Buy 2 E5-2670's off eBay, EXTREMELY GOD LIKE CPU for like 70 bucks

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Just now, GT740OC said:

Thanks, what other components (Case, motherboard...) do you recommend for these drives, also what price am I looking at for the whole unit?

Try not to spend no more than 400 dollars on this, If you need a case try go for a case with lots of drive bays. I'm really no expert in this stuff but i have had my fair do diligence on hard drives xD. Fucking green drives dieing on me after 2 weeks. 

I HAVE GOT TO GO NOW!

Thanks for all the help and I will be replying to any late night replies early morning tomorrow (9:30 am Europe/London) Even if you read this, feel free to post any suggestions related to the question, talk tomorrow, thanks!

5 minutes ago, GT740OC said:

I HAVE GOT TO GO NOW!

Thanks for all the help and I will be replying to any late night replies early morning tomorrow (9:30 am Europe/London) Even if you read this, feel free to post any suggestions related to the question, talk tomorrow, thanks!

Would try and make it small and be as cheap as you can. Here are some reccomendations: 

• For a case maybe look at the node 804. It is small and has a few hard drive bays to spare 
  • maybe grab a 120gb SSD for boot and applications and a few WD reds for storage. 
  • Any good mITX board should do. 
  • Im not really sure for the CPU. Since this will not be a high end rig and rather somthimg to just render video on  wouldn't spend too much. Maybe a i3 6100 or a i5 6400? 
  • 16gb of ram probs will be good. Or 8gb. Depends on your budget. 
  • If it is going to be running a but then grab some decent cooling. Maybe a Noctua nhl9i for the CPU and some Noctua redux fans for case cooling 
  • grab a decent power supply as well if this rig is going to be running a lot. Maybe a Silverstone sfx unit? 
  • I reLly don't know if putting a graphics card in for GPU acceleration is worth it. If you do don't spend too much. Maybe a 950 

I've never reccomend for or built a rig like this so take my reccomendations with a grain of salt. Anybody who knows more than me feel free to correct me :P 

hope i helped :) 

tell me what you think :D 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

Just now, GT740OC said:

lol im wondering why you want a nas
just build a gaming pc with a ton of storage :D

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/knsjP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/knsjP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($87.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($85.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($106.22 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($106.22 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1229.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 22:33 EDT-0400

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Out of interest what programs are you using for rendering these videos?

After Effects, Premiere Pro, Vegas etc?

1 minute ago, Basic said:

Out of interest what programs are you using for rendering these videos?

Sony Vegas Pro 11 and a little bit of After Effects here and there, any ideas 4 specs?

Unfortunately not on the specs I am just curious of workflow. Does Vegas allow network rendering? I know AE does.

9 hours ago, Basic said:

Does Vegas allow network rendering?

To be honest I don't really know, I will probably be making the full switch to AE soon...

What is your current editing rig? If it's the one from your other 'What do you think of my specs?' thread, I'd upgrade/build a new main rig rather than worry about a render server. If you're working in AE, more than 8GB of RAM is necessary. I have 32GB in my system; I have to be doing a lot of effects, but it can nearly max out in AE. Upgrade your GPU (I'd wait for Polaris/Pascal). Add more SSD's for your export, cache and render folders. You could even run RAID 0 with some SSD's for your rendering, since data security isn't really of utmost importance. Improve your main rig before adding the complexities of a server to the equation.

1 minute ago, Omon_Ra said:

Improve your main rig

Unfortunately I am on a budget of once a year Birthday money (£50-£80 British pounds) and Christmas money (£30-£90 British pounds) so a full upgrade will take a while :P

wait....if this is a rendering/storage rig, why are we making something compact and low power?

If this is for rendering, especially a video a day, you want a beefy CPU. Dual E5-2670's are cheap but dual socket boards are still $300+ so probably have to stick with single CPU - but i'd be going a single E5-2670 with an LGA2011 board and lots of connectors for drives. not some low power ITX rig.

I can easily saturate my 32GB when rendering in Sony Vegas, so memory is good too.....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

why are we making something compact and low power

Thanks for the help, I am on a very low budget which is why "Low power" is pretty important :)

Then as others have said - i'd upgrade your main rig if possible - you want as much ram & processing cores as you can afford for video editing.

You'll be wasting a lot of $$$ by building a second dedicated machine.

What's your current specs/

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Just now, GT740OC said:

Unfortunately I am on a budget of once a year Birthday money (£50-£80 British pounds) and Christmas money (£30-£90 British pounds) so a full upgrade will take a while :P

Trying to build a rendering server on 80-170 Pounds is not going to happen. Get more RAM, SSD's or keep saving for a higher-end GPU for your current rig. When you have all top of the line components in your editing rig and you still can't keep up; then consider a rendering server.

1 minute ago, Omon_Ra said:

Get more RAM, SSD's or keep saving for a higher-end GPU

My PC is too old for upgrade to help much I think, I might get a new motherboard, re-use my RAM and get everything else apart from the case new, what do you think of this idea?