2TB Server for rendering?

Just now, GT740OC said:

My PC is too old for upgrade to help much I think, I might get a new motherboard, re-use my RAM and get everything else apart from the case new, what do you think of this idea?

If you're getting a new motherboard, don't reuse the RAM. If you're planning on essentially building a new PC, especially for editing, you're more than likely going to want to go Haswell-e/X99. Even if you were go to Skylake, you'll need DDR4 RAM; which will not work with your old RAM. Video editing is very CPU/RAM heavy, so you want as many cores/threads as possible, and as much RAM as possible. Can you post your specs in this thread so I don't have to keep finding your other one? If your current motherboard supports >8GB, max it out. If it's that old, you should be able to find more RAM for cheap. That will help you a LOT.

Just now, Omon_Ra said:

If your current motherboard supports >8GB

8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) Non-ECC is the MAX it can support, with 2x DDR2 slots and 2x DDR3 slots

My specs:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    AMD Athlon II X4 640   
    Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    ASRock N68C-S UCC (CPUSocket)    
Graphics
    P206HL (1600x900@59Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 (MSI)    
Storage
    111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO SCSI Disk Device (SSD)    
    465GB Seagate ST350041 3AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)   
Optical Drives
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
    VIA HD Audio

I would go second hand and get a Devils Canyon (e.g 4690) series processor, and an LGA1150 board with DDR3.

If you can find a combo deal with those 3 items with 8GB ram with a 4 socket board, then you can put the 8GB from your current board in it too.

That will significantly increase your render speed. I wouldn't waste $$$ building a second mediocre box.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 20 March 2016 at 5:46 AM, GT740OC said:

To be honest I don't really know, I will probably be making the full switch to AE soon...

I did have a quick check just after i had posted and it does not.

Yeah if your just going to use AE all the time then your best off running your renders through Adobe Media Encoder thus freeing up AE to work on other projects.

Secondly you could use a script like this... http://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/ on the same machine.

Thirdly if you built a render node you could also use something like After Effects Render Engine App. This is free and comes already installed with AE.