pfsense multiple lans

I have been trying to set up multiple lans on my router because i have a 4 port intel NIC and on 2 ports are used (1 WAN and 1 LAN ...duh) i understand that i need to use a bridge i almost have it figured out i think but i need help this guide    https://www.all4os.com/router/bridge-multiple-lan-portsnics-to-act-like-a-router-in-pfsense-2-1.html     is not that descriptive i was wondering if anyone could help me id like at least 1 extra port for ether my server or my main computer because ATM im using a really bad switch that is bottle necking my connection and other devices are daisy chained though my wireless ap witch is just an old netgear router and there is another router connected to that for the wireless downstairs and 2 more computers and the switch i have is a 4 port that is why i need to daisy chain id like to utilize the good NIC. help would be nice like just a link to a video or even screenshots would help because i think id need to set up the bridge from scratch but i cant do that lans already configured as such and note i know bridges arent the best thing to do but i cant afford a new switch anytime soon and im also not an expert with networking im better with hardware.

19 minutes ago, Princess-SubWoof said:

I have been trying to set up multiple lans on my router because i have a 4 port intel NIC and on 2 ports are used (1 WAN and 1 LAN ...duh) i understand that i need to use a bridge i almost have it figured out i think but i need help this guide    https://www.all4os.com/router/bridge-multiple-lan-portsnics-to-act-like-a-router-in-pfsense-2-1.html     is not that descriptive i was wondering if anyone could help me id like at least 1 extra port for ether my server or my main computer because ATM im using a really bad switch that is bottle necking my connection and other devices are daisy chained though my wireless ap witch is just an old netgear router and there is another router connected to that for the wireless downstairs and 2 more computers and the switch i have is a 4 port that is why i need to daisy chain id like to utilize the good NIC. help would be nice like just a link to a video or even screenshots would help because i think id need to set up the bridge from scratch but i cant do that lans already configured as such and note i know bridges arent the best thing to do but i cant afford a new switch anytime soon and im also not an expert with networking im better with hardware.

The performance of network bridges are not really worth it in my opinion, considering the fact that there is no hardware accelleration. 

My native language is C++

omg i know but i want to have it at least set up so i can use it if its slow ill just put my parents ap on it they wont notice the difference they dont play games like me and my brother do

This was posted a few days ago but I have a similar setup with VLANs. Basically you need to first assign the interface an IP, configure it in the DHCP server, then allow it through the firewall to your choice, the rest of the other LANS, or just the internet. If you haven't got it by now, let me know and i could help you.

@Princess-SubWoof

Why do you need multiple LANs? Your description doesn't sound like you need it. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?

5 hours ago, beavo451 said:

Why do you need multiple LANs? Your description doesn't sound like you need it. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?

because why the hell not? Thats the fun in it.

i need multiple lad because i cant aford a new switch right now and the on i have only has 4 ports and i have alot more than 3 wired connections and itd be nice to use the other 2 ports on the NIC

Please clarify - are you trying to add another port of the NIC to your exitsing LAN, as if the two ports were part of the same switch? In that case I believe you just bridge the two ports, but I have never used PFSense - I just know how linux networking works in general. If you want to make a completely seperate LAN then you basically copy everything you have for your first port onto the second, using a different subnet.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

pfsense can do proper routing and for your requirements you don't need to bridge at all.

Configure each of the two free ports to their own subnet and plug the server in to one and the main desktop in to the other. All devices should be set to the default gateway of pfsense and since all subnets are directly connected to it you won't even need to setup any routes. Configure firewall rules to allow traffic to flow between the 3 subnets that you would now have. This way you would not be doing anything that is fundamentally a bad idea for networking and is much less likely to cause you issues.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

pfsense can do proper routing and for your requirements you don't need to bridge at all.

Configure each of the two free ports to their own subnet and plug the server in to one and the main desktop in to the other. All devices should be set to the default gateway of pfsense and since all subnets are directly connected to it you won't even need to setup any routes. Configure firewall rules to allow traffic to flow between the 3 subnets that you would now have. This way you would not be doing anything that is fundamentally a bad idea for networking and is much less likely to cause you issues.

The only downside to this is that you won't be able to reach devices on the other LANs via hostname, since they are in different broadcast domains.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

ok no i cant aford a $20 switch and i need one with at least 8 ports and the curent set up is with my 4 port NIC port 1 is wan from moden and port 2 is the port going to the switch what i want to do is use the other 2 ports as if they were on the switch. the switch i have now is a 4 port and its really old

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

The only downside to this is that you won't be able to reach devices on the other LANs via hostname, since they are in different broadcast domains.

Does pfsense have a DNS server? Don't use it so don't know but if it does that would solve that issue. Looks like the OP doesn't want to do this anyway though.

40 minutes ago, Princess-SubWoof said:

OP?

Original Poster, you.

What I posted would work but it's only an option, it's not a perfect solution but neither is bridging but it is up to you to pick what you think is best for your setup and your most comfortable with.

Bridging ports 3 and 4 to port 2 will work and the link you provided does have the information required to do it, Step 3 is a little light on information but the pfsense interface should give you all the prompts required to figure it out. 

These may be of more help:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-pfsense-configure-network-interface-as-a-bridge-network-switch/

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Interface_Bridges

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/What_is_a_bridged_interface_and_how_would_one_be_used

well tryed and my router was fubar i had to reinstall it again to get internet access back and it froze when tryed to set factory defaults thats why i had to reinstall again i had to reinstall last time i tried this too

ok so i gave up on the mulitpul lan for now because i had to reinstall pfsense again but i got my vpn and mc servers fixed so imma not screw with it anymore