Java for beginners

kahraman20

Hi,

I would like learrn Java for myself and for classes on school. 
Where should i start  like which books and a which videos. 

2 minutes ago, kahraman20 said:

Hi,

try khan academy or code academy, for books dont know, for videos dont know

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

31 minutes ago, kahraman20 said:

Hi,

Oracle has very good tutorials. There's also a lot of interactive sites as well. For books, I read a book by John Smiley, I forgot the name, but it was very useful.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

If you like books, Head First Java is a good one, or Starting Out With Java: Early Objects is the one I used. Both good reads with a lot of good examples to follow.

3 hours ago, themaniac said:

try khan academy or code academy, for books dont know, for videos dont know

null

2 hours ago, cptavim said:

Then what should people use that is free. The reason people use those websites is because they don't want to buy books or pay for classes.

Maybe YouTube? I can't think of many free resources. Head First Java is usually less than $30 USD. I'd definitely recommend that as a starting point.

If you have some previous programming experience like in c++ then thinking in Java is a great book for beginners.

11 hours ago, cptavim said:

Then what should people use that is free. The reason people use those websites is because they don't want to buy books or pay for classes.

Official docs, different tutorials, YouTube. Especially the first, since that's where people find all the info they need. I didn't see a tutorial for OpenGL on Codecademy for example.

You must be really inexperienced if you think that codecademy teaches you everything and that there are no other free resources.

I used Object First with Java. It uses BlueJ but it really teaches all the basics

16 hours ago, cptavim said:

Official documentation is the best thing ever.

Not for beginners though, that's where sites like Codecademy come in, and they do a somewhat decent job at teaching some really basic skills. There are other better ways for beginners to learn stuff though, Youtube is one example.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 hour ago, Nineshadow said:

Official documentation is the best thing ever.

Not for beginners though, that's where sites like Codecademy come in, and they do a somewhat decent job at teaching some really basic skills. There are other better ways for beginners to learn stuff though, Youtube is one example.

It depends on the docs, Python has wonderful beginner tutorial ;)

2 minutes ago, Gachr said:

It depends on the docs, Python has wonderful beginner tutorial ;)

Yeah , Python does indeed have great beginner tutorials.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

null

To be honest, I've praised my university to actually start my IT student career in C#.  It's way more user friendly than Java, and the error handling in something like visual studio community edition is much more understandable than I've seen so far in Java (which i'm using now for half a year).

Just know that if you have 0 programming knowledge, Java might not be the best language to start it with.

I'm using Prentice Hall Core Java myself, but although they explain it pretty simple, I'm not entirely sure it's understandable with no prior knowledge.  

Also know you can find some books online in pdf form without paying for them. I'm not gonna link that stuff here because that would be bad for this forum. 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

10 hours ago, cptavim said:

Did I ever say that it teaches you everything? It's good for beginners and some documentation is confusing and hard to understand for beginners.

Then, how would you go about learning further, if (according to you) there are no other free resources and people don't want to pay for books and classes?

null