Need serious advice for this PC upgrade

Hi everyone,

Linking my current system state below. I have been using this exact build (except the SSD) for about 6 years now. The SSD I added only 2 months ago. Over time, my gaming usage dropped drastically till about 1.5 years ago it went down to EXACTLY zero. But lately I have been considering getting back to it, so this upgrade.

Right now, I am considering either going for an over the top GPU upgrade ( EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+ 6GB GDDR5 ) , or switch to an Intel base (Intel i5 6600 - non K, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) and Asus Z170-AR 64GB DDR4 Intel Motherboard).

My main use for this upgraded build would be gaming and internet browsing. I am also considering Twitch streaming over the weekends. I plan to upgrade the system again, but around the year end. Right now I can only go for one. Below is a rough summary for my usage:

Types of games I'll be playing: CS:GO, Dota 2, The Culling, CoDs, Battlefield... so mostly AAA titles with some exceptions. I plan to stick to 1080p for a year more atlas. And no, I have absolutely zero interest in VR.

Typical internet browsing has about 50 tabs across 2-4 windows. Completely open to any kind of suggestions. Cheers.

Processor AMD Phenom X6 1055T    
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD USB3    
Memory DDR3 G.SKILL Trident 12800 4GB (2x2GB)     
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Black    
Graphics MSi Twin Frozr II GTX 580    
Casing Mid.Tower CoolerMaster HAF 922    
Power Supply CoolerMaster GX650    
LCD ASUS VX238H-W (Resolution:1920x1080, Response Time:1ms (GTG)    
Harddisk SSD 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO    

32 gigs is overkill tho, but go wiht an i5

25 minutes ago, hwadhwa said:

Hi everyone,

Linking my current system state below. I have been using this exact build (except the SSD) for about 6 years now. The SSD I added only 2 months ago. Over time, my gaming usage dropped drastically till about 1.5 years ago it went down to EXACTLY zero. But lately I have been considering getting back to it, so this upgrade.

Right now, I am considering either going for an over the top GPU upgrade ( EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+ 6GB GDDR5 ) , or switch to an Intel base (Intel i5 6600 - non K, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) and Asus Z170-AR 64GB DDR4 Intel Motherboard).

My main use for this upgraded build would be gaming and internet browsing. I am also considering Twitch streaming over the weekends. I plan to upgrade the system again, but around the year end. Right now I can only go for one. Below is a rough summary for my usage:

Types of games I'll be playing: CS:GO, Dota 2, The Culling, CoDs, Battlefield... so mostly AAA titles with some exceptions. I plan to stick to 1080p for a year more atlas. And no, I have absolutely zero interest in VR.

Typical internet browsing has about 50 tabs across 2-4 windows. Completely open to any kind of suggestions. Cheers.

ohh and a z170 isnt needed if you aint gonna overclock

1 hour ago, hwadhwa said:

Hi everyone,

You should go for the processor upgrade. The GPU is decent for now. Get an i5-6500 instead of an i5-6600... The price difference is not worth the performance difference. You should stick with 16GB of RAM (2x8GB) in dual-channel because there is absolutely NO reason to get 32GB right now. Get an H170 board (H170 Pro Gaming is my recommendation) if you need the features, or an H110 board (ASUS H110M-A or Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H GSM) if you can go without them. 

Also, don't spend a bunch of extra money on faster RAM speeds because it's not worth the price right now, especially if you consider the price of a Z170 board.

That actually saves you plenty of money, and it can put you on your way to buying another better GPU. You should wait for Pascal/Polaris before getting a GPU upgrade.

For streaming you want 4 cores 8 threads or better according to the cpu-advice-articles on tomshardware.com (read the honorable mention, only 10 textlines). Good options if you do not want to overclock could be a system based on a xeon 1231 V3 (1150 socket for $239) or an i7-6700 (1151 socket for $329.89). I would personally add fast 2x8GB ram (if you have to much money 4x8GB, but i want descent midrange memory not the cheap stuff), an  nvidia 970 gpu with 4GB and a motherboard with atleast usb 3.1 type C (so you can connect your mobile devices in the near future). The cheapest 1151 example afaik is the Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P with a price of 85 euro in europe.  It is not mentioned on pcpartpicker (yet), do not know why. It has usb type C, m2 slot, gen3 sata express and dualbios for when you frack up. It is a simple budgetminded mobo with some luxuries. Oh, and a new psu that can handle c7 state would be a nice.

Edit: Then you can keep your old monitor, harddisk, ssd & case, maybe even the 580 (and save more money for a better gpu then the 970 that i mentioned earlier). Choices...