Loud pop from motherboard, but still works.

Go to solution Solved by Dionyz,

Eh I read the manual that it's dangerous to replace the CMOS battery, so I am 90% sure that pop was from the 3 volt battery that I put in.

So I tried a few times to power up my motherboard, and it would not boot up (Although the lights on the motherboard were showing). I tried to replace the CMOS battery with something I had lying around. It was an 3 volt battery. I tried to turn it on, and again it would not work. I had 2 4 pin connectors for CPU, but it only needed one, so I decided to switch the other one, and when it booted up I heard a loud pop. (I seen it from the corner of the motherboard. It was directly above the CPU connector. Top left you will see an coil and an green plastic thing.)

K9A2 Platinum

So what could the issue be? 

overloaded it? Any sparks?

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

1 minute ago, Textosterone said:

overloaded it? Any sparks?

Yea it was an spark that came from it. I think the coil from the green connector was meant for discharges.

I dont think you are supposed to be able to connect 1 OR the other of the 4pin plugs. only one should fit, or am i wrong?

wow... pretty empty here...

Loud pop sounds like a burst capacitor, check your capacitors and see if they are intact. This MIGHT be fixable but I would avoid using it. The large capacitors are usually related to power voltage control.

1 minute ago, das affe said:

I dont think you are supposed to be able to connect 1 OR the other of the 4pin plugs. only one should fit, or am i wrong?

What I meant was I possibly use a wrong 4 pin. (Since there was 2 labeled CPU on the PSU) Also the PSU is brand new.

4 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

What I meant was I possibly use a wrong 4 pin. (Since there was 2 labeled CPU on the PSU) Also the PSU is brand new.

Yes thats what i am saying. Those 2 4-Pin-connectors are not the same. You have to plug in the one that fits. if you had 2x 4-pin-connectors on your motherboard you would have to use both but with only one you have to find the one with the pin pattern that matches that of your motherboard cpu-connector.

wow... pretty empty here...

8 minutes ago, das affe said:

Yes thats what i am saying. Those 2 4-Pin-connectors are not the same. You have to plug in the one that fits. if you had 2x 4-pin-connectors on your motherboard you would have to use both but with only one you have to find the one with the pin pattern that matches that of your motherboard cpu-connector.

Both fit the pattern, but from the whole story the first did not work to turn on the motherboard, but there was an LED light. As soon as I connect the other 4 pin, and turned it on I heard an pop.

I would like to know which caused the pop. The connector (It's an brand new EVGA 500 watt PSU) or the CMOS battery 3 volts.

Edit: Or the old PSU. (Maybe the charge was in the motherboard for a few weeks)

1 hour ago, Dionyz said:

So I tried a few times to power up my motherboard, and it would not boot up (Although the lights on the motherboard were showing). I tried to replace the CMOS battery with something I had lying around. It was an 3 volt battery. I tried to turn it on, and again it would not work. I had 2 4 pin connectors for CPU, but it only needed one, so I decided to switch the other one, and when it booted up I heard a loud pop. (I seen it from the corner of the motherboard. It was directly above the CPU connector. Top left you will see an coil and an green plastic thing.)

K9A2 Platinum

So what could the issue be? 

Just wanted to say that's a damn fine mobo you got there.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

4 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

Just wanted to say that's a damn fine mobo you got there.

lol. This is my 3rd PC. (Basically I will give it to my 5 year old)

But in all seriousness I think it's a pretty good one, since that copper loop around the green object stopped the electric from destroying my computer.

Just now, Dionyz said:

lol. This is my 3rd PC. (Basically I will give it to my 5 year old)

But in all seriousness I think it's a pretty good one, since that copper loop around the green object stopped the electric from destroying my computer.

MSI boards, they don't make them like they used to...

600.png

05.jpg

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Eh I read the manual that it's dangerous to replace the CMOS battery, so I am 90% sure that pop was from the 3 volt battery that I put in.

The green thing with a coil around it is your quartz crystal, it vibrates and produces a clock tick and forms the basis of all timing on your motherboard, that is the clockspeeds of your CPU, your buses and well everything. If its gone pop the motherboard is done done done done, the smoke escaped and that is that.