what makes a good case....good?

EvilNeo

so what do you think makes a good case good?

also

i'm gonna have a gtx 980Ti extreme waterforce that has a 120mm watercooler and an i7 4790k with a watercooler (either a single fan or dual)
i'm thinking in corsair carbide spec - 3 or Corsair Graphite Series 230T or NZXT Phantom 240

so which one of these do you think would be better? and which is good for cable management too?

Well stuff like quality of the case, cable management room, modularity, space, good airflow, etc. Honestly it all comes down to what you want or like. I would recommend the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 or the 5 pro. I love the case and its a really good one too. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

for me it's about price to performance: a good case for me is available for a reasonable price, has much cable mangament room, good hdd noise blocking, silent, good airflow and the most important of all: good build quality. the points that makes cases perfect are IMO silent fans and good design.

EDIT: just saw: 1k posts :D 

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

10 minutes ago, EvilNeo said:

also

i'm gonna have a gtx 980Ti extreme waterforce that has a 120mm watercooler and an i7 4790k with a watercooler (either a single fan or dual)
i'm thinking in corsair carbide spec - 3 or Corsair Graphite Series 230T or NZXT Phantom 240

so which one of these do you think would be better? and which is good for cable management too?

quality, features, what it offers, expandibility and window is a bonus

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 hour ago, EvilNeo said:

also

Aesthetics, Ease of cable management(if you care about this then dont get a n400) Air flow, and amount of fans you can install, as well as the # of preinstalled fans, motherboard form factor support EATX/XLATX, ATX, MATX, Mini ITX, old BTX, gpu length support

12 minutes ago, EvilNeo said:

also

a good case is a case that will do what you want it to do for a long period of time, while looking great (personal preference)

the spec-3 is a good budget case, but doesnt really support watercooling that well, but you can fit 120mm at the rear and one at the top

230t is somewhat the same with the spec 3

the phantom 240 is a good spacious case

out of those 3 i guess the phantom 240 is the one i would recommend, but try checking out the Noctis 450 if you like that kind of design, it have better internals ;)

or perhaps the define S from fractal design for better watercooling support

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I've got a Define S, I bought it because it seems to be a good balance of: looks (I hate the tacky "gamer" look), price, water cooling support, cable management options, sound proofing and build quality.

My only issue with it is the, in my opinion, ugly blue power and HDD LEDs, but I've just got them disabled until I get around to modding the case with white LEDs instead. It's not a difficult job, I just haven't been bothered to do it yet. 

A case needs to

• hold all the components you intend to place in there, and hold them securely
  • protect your components from outside influences
  • provide a good natural path for air to flow from intake past components to exhaust
  • be structurally sound and durable

Bonus if the case

• filters dust from the intake air to reduce dust build-up inside the case
  • blocks sounds generated inside the case
  • provides ample room and routing options for cable management
  • looks good

To me, a 'good' case would hit all these marks. If it's also cheap, that's nice, but since a good case will last you a few builds, I don't think that should factor in as much as the rest.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

The Phantom 240 is sort of outdated, nor does it have the best features, it just looks good. There isn't a lot of cable management space in it and the airflow isn't very good as there's only one fan mount in the front, as well it's sort of pricey.. I would go for the 230T, check linus' review here:

1. Built with curved edges so as not to slice my fingers to ribbons.

2. Modular design so that I can install the parts I want and remove the parts I don't, which kind of leads into number three...

3. Room for plenty of fans and good airflow throughout. Speaking of room...

4. Cable. Effing. Management. Space. I don't want to have to figure out how to jam all the unused cords into a single 5.25" bay or in an unused hard drive cage slot.

5. Doesn't feel like a house of cards when I lift its empty self up.

6. Effing built with curved effing edges so I don't slice my fingers to ribbons working in it.

Those are my must-haves in a case. Built in dust filters and some form of noise blocking are a plus, but dust filters are cheap and if you choose the right fans and CPU cooler, noise won't be an issue there.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

• 4 weeks later...

I've made 3 pcs for my mates now using the corsair graphite 230t case and I must say its great to work with

heaps of space and room for cable management  

the front fans are nice a quite and in my case's red lcd 

and one I even mounted a corsair H60 in the top and fitted an Asus HD6950 in there 

the tool less drive bays are great too,slip in and forget 

Well I'dont think spending a 1000 dollars on case is wise. You can buy a good full option case for a few hundred dollars. But case is the outer appearance, so good looks are important. So a good case is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Plus it should offer all standard features like supporting liquid coolers, cable management, plenty of space and modularity  and stuff like that. So my recommendation is to pick a case with good aesthetics and cool features