My Macbook Killer (First build)

Stevoisboss

I built this computer around a year ago and I have to say I am very happy with it. I originally had a 2009 macbook pro 13" which obviously didn't run any game well except for a few exceptions such as half life 2, css, and csgo at 30fps. So I was getting tired of this atrocious performance as you might imagine and I decided to build this computer. I'm using it mostly for gaming and light video editing. As you can see I tried to go with a blue and black theme with the exception of the power supply. For my CPU I went with an i5-4460 because of its good rating on Tom's Hardware and also I didn't want to go with an i7 because I am only doing occasional light video editing for Youtube. I added the Evo and the Corsair fans just for aesthetics. Went with the Avexir ram because of the blue leds. The power supply is an obvious overkill in this build which I am well aware of; when I first built this I had some 500W Corsair power supply that broke on me. This was pretty recently so I decided to just future proof it because I found this PSU on sale for around 80$. The GPU  was highly recommended on Tom's Hardware and I can confirm its a great card. For my storage I went with a SSHD just because of budget. Lastly contrary to the pcpartpicker link I have windows 10. Tell me what you think of it and any recommendations or future advice you have. 

PC Partpicker list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yG93C

IMG_0165.thumb.JPG.35e90239e99afa562c689

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

3 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Any reason for the CPU fan orientation? Normally the fan is on the right side blowing air towards the left (exhaust)

Yea I know when I first put it on I thought it would look the best that way and didn't know weather it would mess up airflow or not and I was too lazy to fix it. Think I should fix that or does it matter?

Check out my HTPC build.

21 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

Yea I know when I first put it on I thought it would look the best that way and didn't know weather it would mess up airflow or not and I was too lazy to fix it. Think I should fix that or does it matter?

You probably won't notice a difference in temps but I'd never leave it like that personally. It makes more sense to have it directing air through the case to the fan on the back.

Also, you could have saved a bunch if you skipped the fans. It does make it look nicer, but I would have put that toward a better GPU.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

20$ for some of the worst fans you can buy. you make me so sad... 

eitherway, whats done is done. nothing i would change save the fans and hdd, so all around decent build. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

52 minutes ago, Atmos said:

20$ for some of the worst fans you can buy. you make me so sad... 

eitherway, whats done is done. nothing i would change save the fans and hdd, so all around decent build. 

Really? The fans were recommended to me off this forum 2-3 weeks ago

Check out my HTPC build.

7 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

They're fans. Even if they suck, you have enough that it doesn't matter. But you still would've been fine with your case fans.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

25 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

I would slap the member who rec'd you them then.

Corsair literally makes the worst "premium" fans you can get, period.

For 20$ you could have gotten some noctua's dude, and those while they may look like garbage, are some of the quietest fans you can get, while also pushing more air than those shit corsair hair-dryers.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Any computer is a mac killer xD

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

I would slap the member who rec'd you them then.

Corsair literally makes the worst "premium" fans you can get, period.

For 20$ you could have gotten some noctua's dude, and those while they may look like garbage, are some of the quietest fans you can get, while also pushing more air than those shit corsair hair-dryers.

Well they aren't actually 20$ a piece; they were 20$ for a twin pack and 12$ for a single. I just have it like that on my pcpartpickerlink because It doesn't say its a twin pac and I haven't posted a picture yet. So my bad. Still bad for money though?

Check out my HTPC build.

7 hours ago, Stevoisboss said:

Well they aren't actually 20$ a piece; they were 20$ for a twin pack and 12$ for a single. I just have it like that on my pcpartpickerlink because It doesn't say its a twin pac and I haven't posted a picture yet. So my bad. Still bad for money though?

Yea... Corsair fans are only really bought either because their a corsair product, or they look good. Not because their quiet (Because they're not) Or because of their performance (which is completely average)

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Yea... Corsair fans are only really bought either because their a corsair product, or they look good. Not because their quiet (Because they're not) Or because of their performance (which is completely average)

Ok thanks

Check out my HTPC build.