Computer Screen Looks Fuzzy/Pixelated

theereal
Go to solution Solved by Me1bourne,
Just now, theereal said:

But the card Is still dying? And should be RMA'ed before the warranty expires?

It gave a sign that something is bad. Wait untill 2nd time, and then RMA it. Or RMA it anyway at the end of your warranty.

I turned on my computer today and the screen looked fuzzy and pixelated, I turned It off and back on and Its back to normal, should I be worried? Anything I should check or troubleshoot for?

Your Graphics Card going to die soon probably, these called "artifacts" it's happening because GPU actually (chip) has bad contact with pcb (due to bad soldering) or less probably graphics card vram has the problem.

But yeah, It's your graphic card.

What model do you have btw?

1 minute ago, Me1bourne said:

Your Graphics Card going to die soon probably, these called "artifacts" it's happening because GPU actually (chip) has bad contact with pcb (due to bad soldering) or less probably graphics card vram has the problem.

But yeah, It's your graphic card.

What model do you have btw?

MSI Geforce GTX 970 (refrence) not the gaming version (Is this covered by warranty?)

Just now, theereal said:

MSI Geforce GTX 970 (refrence) not the gaming version (Is this covered by warranty?)

Yes, it is covered.

And did you have these artifacts actually during POST? (Black screen before windows boot). It doesn't matter, but this makes diagnosing much clearer, because there is no windows nvidia drivers problem involved.

Just now, Me1bourne said:

Yes, it is covered.

And did you have these artifacts actually during POST? (Black screen before windows boot). It doesn't matter, but this makes diagnosing much clearer, because there is no windows nvidia drivers problem involved.

I googled GPU Artifacts and It didnt look like what any of the pictures showed. Also, how long do I have untill the GPU dies, should I RMA It ASAP?

4 minutes ago, theereal said:

I googled GPU Artifacts and It didnt look like what any of the pictures showed. Also, how long do I have untill the GPU dies, should I RMA It ASAP?

If it starts already, why wait?

It can delay for months and show again. Well you shouldn't be that worried to rma it asap, it won't damage any pc components inside.

But yeah, start thinking about it.

If it starts already, why wait?

It can delay for months and show again. Well you shouldn't be that worried to rma it asap, it won't damage any pc components inside.

But yeah, start thinking about it.

But are you sure the store I RMA It to will discover the Issue? It has only manifested Itself once, do they have tools to force It etc? Also, If It dies before I get It RMA'ed will the warranty still count for artifacting?

10 minutes ago, theereal said:

RMA it.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

5 minutes ago, theereal said:

But are you sure the store I RMA It to will discover the Issue? It has only manifested Itself once, do they have tools to force It etc? Also, If It dies before I get It RMA'ed will the warranty still count for artifacting?

Well, you can try to test it by yourself easily, just stress test it in FurMark for example, and you'll see if artifacts are showing.

59 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

Yes, it is covered.

No, It was a static artifact when I booted up first, turned the computer off and Its fine. No black screen before boot.

44 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

Well, you can try to test it by yourself easily, just stress test it in FurMark for example, and you'll see if artifacts are showing.

Link to safe download?

No, It was a static artifact when I booted up first, turned the computer off and Its fine. No black screen before boot.

I was talking about black screen with numbers and tests when you just turn on your pc. Remember? (Post screen) 

Link to safe download?

geeks3d website

I was talking about black screen with numbers and tests when you just turn on your pc. Remember? (Post screen) 

geeks3d website

No nothing, just a normal boot. Also thanks for the link :)

15 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

geeks3d website

Need a few pointers :P I should run FurMark In 1080p right? What about fullscreen and AA? Also, which parts should I monitor for overheating, only the GPU? And for how long after reaching max temps should I let It run?

Set it to your native resolution, put it in stability mode, I usually set AA to 2x / 4x for 2nd test. Run approx 10 minutes or untill artifacts are starting to show up.

You are not goind to watch if something will overheat, the key is to detects artifacts.

3 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

Set it to your native resolution, put it in stability mode, I usually set AA to 2x / 4x for 2nd test. Run approx 10 minutes or untill artifacts are starting to show up.

You are not goind to watch if something will overheat, the key is to detects artifacts.

Where will artifacts appear? And will they be very visible or will I have to look hard?

Just now, theereal said:

Where will artifacts appear? And will they be very visible or will I have to look hard?

Everywhere. You will notice them, believe me. 

Allright, thanks :))

24 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

Just ran 2 tests, both at 1080p, and both at 10 minutes. 1 time with 2x and one with 4x AA. No sings of what happened earlier. GPU reached 86C at max. Am I safe, or could there still be a danger?

Just now, theereal said:

Just ran 2 tests, both at 1080p, and both at 10 minutes. 1 time with 2x and one with 4x AA. No sings of what happened earlier. GPU reached 86C at max. Am I safe, or could there still be a danger?

You safe then. Untill next time. 

I was using GTX 670, she did artifacts twice, with ~7 month difference, then I sold it.

But if you have this problem atleast 3 times with short periods between, just RMA it.

Just now, Me1bourne said:

You safe then. Untill next time. 

I was using GTX 670, she did artifacts twice, with ~7 month difference, then I sold it.

But if you have this problem atleast 3 times with short periods between, just RMA it.

Just now, theereal said:

It gave a sign that something is bad. Wait untill 2nd time, and then RMA it. Or RMA it anyway at the end of your warranty.