crusader kings 2 succession laws help

noisebomb44

So its been a while since i played CK2, but in the game i am in right now the only real problem im having is that i have no idea what succession laws are the one that gives you all titles no matter how many potential successors you have.

Ive managed to go from gravelkind to Primogeniture succession laws, but even though the tooltips and the wiki clearly states that "Primogeniture is a succession law where the eldest son (or daughter, under certain conditions) inherits all titles." i dont get to keep all my titles after death.

Before my character died my brother and kinsman had 0 titles, but after my character died of old age my brother gained 3 titles and my kinsman gained 1, i have no idea whats going on here, can someone help?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Do you have multiple Duchies/Kingdoms/Empires by any chance? If so you need to set all laws to primogeniture iirc 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

7 hours ago, Centurius said:

Do you have multiple Duchies/Kingdoms/Empires by any chance? If so you need to set all laws to primogeniture iirc 

Yeah, i own ireland, half of scotland, wales, and parts of northen france and it was only titles outside ireland which i lost after my character died, but how do i change the succesion laws in other kingdoms? From what ive seen online you can either change your primary title to a dutchy within that kingdom, or hope that the vassals change the succession laws to the one you want. Thanks for the answer though, i would have never figured it out on my own

10 hours ago, noisebomb44 said:

Yeah, i own ireland, half of scotland, wales, and parts of northen france and it was only titles outside ireland which i lost after my character died, but how do i change the succesion laws in other kingdoms? From what ive seen online you can either change your primary title to a dutchy within that kingdom, or hope that the vassals change the succession laws to the one you want. Thanks for the answer though, i would have never figured it out on my own

I just tested it in a quick game. Once you become King or Emperor the only titles where you can change the succession laws are Kingdom and Empire level. Usually all de jure titles below those should change as well which may explain the problem as the Kingdom of Ireland is not de jure liege over those other territories. You could either wait for them to become de jure parts(takes a very long time), form their Kingdom level-titles(should be doable) or edit the save file.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

You need to be the King to change the succession laws. In your case you needed to be King of Scotland. I assume they had gavelkind so your brother got the titles inside dejure Scotland? Once you have two kingdom titles there should be an extra flag thing for that title in the laws page. If you create the kingdom yourself it should automatically get your primary title laws.

3 hours ago, Centurius said:

I just tested it in a quick game. Once you become King or Emperor the only titles where you can change the succession laws are Kingdom and Empire level. Usually all de jure titles below those should change as well which may explain the problem as the Kingdom of Ireland is not de jure liege over those other territories. You could either wait for them to become de jure parts(takes a very long time), form their Kingdom level-titles(should be doable) or edit the save file.

Well, to form my northen front in france into a kingdom level title will take a few generations, and forming scotland into a tile will also take some time, so i guess i will just have to do without these dutchies and steal some other ones from my vassals, but atleast i know until next time, thanks for your answer

3 hours ago, Thozi said:

You need to be the King to change the succession laws. In your case you needed to be King of Scotland. I assume they had gavelkind so your brother got the titles inside dejure Scotland? Once you have two kingdom titles there should be an extra flag thing for that title in the laws page. If you create the kingdom yourself it should automatically get your primary title laws.

Thanks, will keep that in mind next time

@Centurius

@Thozi

Solved it by switching my primary title to every kingdom i owned, and then changing the succesion laws manually

It worked, although the vassals were pretty pissed off, but it was worth it, also north scotland could not be saved sadly because i dont own 51% of it

Thanks for all the help

You're very much welcome :)

My Build:

Spoiler