Good 6600k cooler?

Hello i'm very new to this pc building thing and i've been posting alot of threads because of that, and now i've got a new question for you:

What cooler should i get for an i7 6600k? 

So i'm not planning to overclock this anytime soon, allthough i might try overclock it very slightly in a couple of months when i've read a little more about how to overclock.

I also have an Asus Z170 mobo, so will that fit? Also it takes ddr4 right?

Thanks dudes :) 

Cryorig H7, 212 Evo. Dark Rock Pro 3, Noctua also has alot of coolers too.

depends on how far you want to push your overclock.

i personally use a Be quiet Dark Rock 3 and have had great results with my i5 6600k

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

Stock cooler if you're not planning on overclocking. It's actually not bad at all. If you find yourself wanting to overclock then buy a better cooler but until then the stock one is really more than adequate.

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

I have to agree, the Hyper 212 EVO Is really good

Coolio, it's also quit cheap, i think i'll just go with that :)

EDIT: Is it able to OC at all just to be safe if i want?

4 minutes ago, Lightswitch77 said:

Hello i'm very new to this pc building thing and i've been posting alot of threads because of that, and now i've got a new question for you:

So i'm not planning to overclock this anytime soon, allthough i might try overclock it very slightly in a couple of months when i've read a little more about how to overclock.

How big is your case, and how much of an overclock do you want to pull? The H7 is my usual recommendation because it's smaller than the 212 EVO or Pure Rock and performs just as well, but if you're going to really crank the voltages up for a high OC, something like an R1 or a DH-15 would be better.

That said, if you're not OC'ing now, the stock cooler is more than fine.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

How big is your case, and how much of an overclock do you want to pull? The H7 is my usual recommendation because it's smaller than the 212 EVO or Pure Rock and performs just as well, but if you're going to really crank the voltages up for a high OC, something like an R1 or a DH-15 would be better.

That said, if you're not OC'ing now, the stock cooler is more than fine.

Case, right, sorry, new to this don't know how much info is needed. But it'll be a 690 III, isn't that a good one?

7 minutes ago, Lightswitch77 said:

z170 is ddr4.

i5 6600k, not i7.

can you buy an AIO?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

z170 is ddr4.

i5 6600k, not i7.

can you buy an AIO?

Erm.. AIO?

5 minutes ago, Mug said:

Stock cooler if you're not planning on overclocking. It's actually not bad at all. If you find yourself wanting to overclock then buy a better cooler but until then the stock one is really more than adequate.

Unlocked Skylake Chips don't come with stock coolers.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Just now, Lightswitch77 said:

Erm.. AIO?

All In One Watercooler

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, SeanAngelo said:

All In One Watercooler

Oh, no, don't have one of them

1 minute ago, Lightswitch77 said:

Oh, no, don't have one of them

are you willing to buy one for when you overclock?

if not then an NH-D14 will be a good air cooler.

Old Rig

1 minute ago, SeanAngelo said:

are you willing to buy one for when you overclock?

if not then an NH-D14 will be a good air cooler.

I have no idea how to intall those, so i think i'll stay away from that for now

11 minutes ago, Lightswitch77 said:

Case, right, sorry, new to this don't know how much info is needed. But it'll be a 690 III, isn't that a good one?

You can fit a DH-15 in there lol. You're good for a 212 EVO or something in that class.

8 minutes ago, Interfectorem said:

Unlocked Skylake Chips don't come with stock coolers.

You can get one on eBay for $5. I have two sitting around here, one with the original paste still on it, unused.

Just now, aisle9 said:

You can fit a DH-15 in there lol. You're good for a 212 EVO or something in that class.

You can get one on eBay for $5. I have two sitting around here, one with the original paste still on it, unused.

Should i just buy a stock cooler?

4 minutes ago, Lightswitch77 said:

I have no idea how to intall those, so i think i'll stay away from that for now

same as air cooler. easy as hell, loads of tutorials online.

Old Rig

Just now, Lightswitch77 said:

Should i just buy a stock cooler?

Depends. If the cooler you can buy now is the same cooler you'll be able to afford when you're ready to OC, then just buy it now. If buying a stock cooler now and waiting a couple of months will let you buy something in the DH-14, DH-15, R1 Ultimate (etc.) high performance class, then buy the stock cooler and wait.

If you're not looking to overclock, then pretty much any cooler will suffice. The 212 EVO that's been mentioned many times in this thread already is an excellent choice for a cooler that doesn't cost much and still performs admirably.

If you want something cheap and easy until you overclock it, that will do. If you want to build once and just be ready for overclocking, you'll need to make the right decision now. And I'm missing one crucial piece of information to recommend anything. What are your priorities?

It provides awesome cooling performance!
It hardly makes any noise!

It's easy to install!
It doesn't cost much!

Pick one or two that you find important, and we'll take it form there.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, DHelios said:

If you're not looking to overclock, then pretty much any cooler will suffice. The 212 EVO that's been mentioned many times in this thread already is an excellent choice for a cooler that doesn't cost much and still performs admirably.

If you want something cheap and easy until you overclock it, that will do. If you want to build once and just be ready for overclocking, you'll need to make the right decision now. And I'm missing one crucial piece of information to recommend anything. What are your priorities?

It provides awesome cooling performance!
It hardly makes any noise!

It's easy to install!
It doesn't cost much!

Pick one or two that you find important, and we'll take it form there.

easy to install, not loud and good cooling, thank you

Aww, you cheated and picked three!

I'd say the Noctua NH-D15.

It's big and might be a bit unwieldy to install, but the instructions provided are clear and the mounting system is excellent. The heatsink is great, and the provided stock fans should allow you to get excellent cooling when you need it, and near-silent operation when you're not in the middle of a gaming session.

Your ASUS mainboard provides FanXpert2 which should take excellent care of your fan tuning to spin them only as fast as they have to, and you'll likely not need to use any of the included in-line low-noise adapters. That means you can put those on your stock case fans and make them more quiet as well without additional cost.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, DHelios said:

Aww, you cheated and picked three!

I'd say the Noctua NH-D15.

It's big and might be a bit unwieldy to install, but the instructions provided are clear and the mounting system is excellent. The heatsink is great, and the provided stock fans should allow you to get excellent cooling when you need it, and near-silent operation when you're not in the middle of a gaming session.

Your ASUS mainboard provides FanXpert2 which should take excellent care of your fan tuning to spin them only as fast as they have to, and you'll likely not need to use any of the included in-line low-noise adapters. That means you can put those on your stock case fans and make them more quiet as well without additional cost.

...That looks ugly as hell lol...