Minor GPU core clock issue. GTX 980.

Snadzies

Noticed an odd thing happening with the core clock of my GPU recently.

Basically the card will run at the normal speed I set it for a short period of time but then it will drop down about 12mhz and never go back up and seems to happen in all games.

I did a quick bench on Tomb Raider to show it happening and then scrolled through the graphs MSI Afterburner recorded.

Temps are fine, power limit is below the max ect.

12mhz is not a big deal but it is odd that it has happened out of nowhere.

I uninstalled/Reinstalled MSI afterburner.

Updated to the latest Nvidia drivers.

Set Nvidia control panel to prefer max performance.

If I get less lazy I'll use DDU to remove and reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

11 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Noticed an odd thing happening with the core clock of my GPU recently.

Basically the card will run at the normal speed I set it for a short period of time but then it will drop down about 12mhz and never go back up and seems to happen in all games.

I did a quick bench on Tomb Raider to show it happening and then scrolled through the graphs MSI Afterburner recorded.

Temps are fine, power limit is below the max ect.

12mhz is not a big deal but it is odd that it has happened out of nowhere.

I uninstalled/Reinstalled MSI afterburner.

Updated to the latest Nvidia drivers.

Set Nvidia control panel to prefer max performance.

If I get less lazy I'll use DDU to remove and reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

It's called "GPU Boost 2.0". It boosted the card to a certain level, then decided that (for thermals, voltage, power draw or whatever) those speeds couldn't be kept up, so it reduced the boost a notch.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

It's called "GPU Boost 2.0". It boosted the card to a certain level, then decided that (for thermals, voltage, power draw or whatever) those speeds couldn't be kept up, so it reduced the boost a notch.

^ This

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

19 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Problem with that assumption is I have had the card for over a year and the card was happy to run at the speeds 12mhz higher than it is now the entire time.

In fact I usually run it at 1504mhz but with this new issue it runs at 1493mhz.

Just now, Snadzies said:

Problem with that assumption is I have had the card for over a year and the card was happy to run at the speeds 12mhz higher than it is now the entire time.

In fact I usually run it at 1504mhz but with this new issue it runs at 1493mhz.

And? The card isn't the same as it was back then. Even something as simple as dust buildup or better driver optimization can cause increased heat, which in turn means reduced clocks.

GPUBoost is unreliable, and honestly that feature sucks and you should be able to kill it without Bios modding....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

8 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

And? The card isn't the same as it was back then. Even something as simple as dust buildup or better driver optimization can cause increased heat, which in turn means reduced clocks.

GPUBoost is unreliable, and honestly that feature sucks and you should be able to kill it without Bios modding....

You didn't watch the video, did you?

Temps were about 75c (limit is set to 91c) and the power limit was hitting 108% (limit is set to 112%), both below their max values.

Just now, Snadzies said:

You didn't watch the video, did you?

Temps were about 75c (limit is set to 91c) and the power limit was hitting 108% limit is set to 112%), both below their max values.

Sigh....

GPUBoost doesn't go off based on the absolute maximuns. It always leaves a bit of headroom.

Just now, Imakuni said:

Sigh....

GPUBoost doesn't go off based on the absolute maximuns. It always leaves a bit of headroom.

Set the card to run at 1404mhz.

Drops to 1393mhz.

Set the card to run at 1454mhz.

Drops to 1441mhz.

Set the card to run at 1504mhz.

Drops to 1493mhz.

If it were GPUboost it would drop more the higher the clock speeds were set.

Instead it constantly drops about 12mhz regardless of the clock speed.

Just now, Snadzies said:

Set the card to run at 1404mhz.

Drops to 1393mhz.

Set the card to run at 1454mhz.

Drops to 1441mhz.

Set the card to run at 1504mhz.

Drops to 1493mhz.

If it were GPUboost it would drop more the higher the clock speeds were set.

Instead it constantly drops about 12mhz regardless of the clock speed.

Okay champs, want to test it out? Mod your Bios to get rid of GPUBoost. Then do the test and tell me what happens.

I'd rather not risk voiding my warranty and possibly ruining my card with a modding the bios to appease someone on the internet.

Thanks anyway, champ.