Gigabyte GTX 970 mini ITX+GTX 970 G1 Gaming a good SLI combo?

Dabombinable

I was wondering if I would encounter any issues with that configuration as I have never had an SLI set up before (but I do know of the issues associated with SLI in general, mainly support). As far as I can tell from reviews, they (the mini ITX GTX 970) on average run a lot cooler than my particular example of a G1 Gaming (not impressed with Gigabyte at all over the false binning-but they do have the cheapest GTX 970 in the stores I'm looking at), so is there anything I should be concerned about? My G1 Gaming has Samsung vRAM, runs at about 77oC under a full gaming load, boosts 50MHz higher than the rated boost speed and has survived 2x PSU blowing (VS650 outlasting a CX850M while being near its limits+hotter for months-WTF).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

77 degrees? At what speed are the fans running? Mine won't break 66 with the fans below 2000 rpm. Since is repasted the card temps are great

Well, the ITX one is slower, no doubt about it, that's how it is with these smaller versions of cards. So there's no benefit of it being an OC'd G1 version, it's like you had two of those ITX ones. Another thing are the temps, the ITX one should have higher temperatures than the G1 one, no idea why would it be the other way in your case ;-; anyway, that's not the best for SLI.

Are there any other 970s that you could get other than the ITX one?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

22 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I was wondering if I would encounter any issues with that configuration as I have never had an SLI set up before (but I do know of the issues associated with SLI in general, mainly support). As far as I can tell from reviews, they (the mini ITX GTX 970) on average run a lot cooler than my particular example of a G1 Gaming (not impressed with Gigabyte at all over the false binning-but they do have the cheapest GTX 970 in the stores I'm looking at), so is there anything I should be concerned about? My G1 Gaming has Samsung vRAM, runs at about 77oC under a full gaming load, boosts 50MHz higher than the rated boost speed and has survived 2x PSU blowing (VS650 outlasting a CX850M while being near its limits+hotter for months-WTF).

Uh... is it viable to sell the 970 and, adding the money of a new one, buy a 980 ti?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 hours ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

77 degrees? At what speed are the fans running? Mine won't break 66 with the fans below 2000 rpm. Since is repasted the card temps are great

77%, and it drowns out the Intel stock cooler.

4 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, the ITX one is slower, no doubt about it, that's how it is with these smaller versions of cards. So there's no benefit of it being an OC'd G1 version, it's like you had two of those ITX ones. Another thing are the temps, the ITX one should have higher temperatures than the G1 one, no idea why would it be the other way in your case ;-; anyway, that's not the best for SLI.

Are there any other 970s that you could get other than the ITX one?

I could get the Asus Turbo for an extra $20, or a Strix for an extra $50. And I was looking at the anandtech review of the ITX card. My G1 Gaming's temps are high because the GPU was apparently binned to run hot and overclock like shit. Replacing the TIM knocked the temps down a few degrees but that's it.

4 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Uh... is it viable to sell the 970 and, adding the money of a new one, buy a 980 ti?

I can't sell my G1 Gaming in its current state. I forgot to mention that it also only runs at PCIe x8 in all of my motherboards-even the single x16 slot P5Q Turbo, while my GTX 650ti OC 2GB runs at x16 in all of them-its got too many problems (but at least it still works).

Pretty much its these cards+$9 postage: http://www.computeralliance.com.au/video-cards/!nvidia-gtx-series/nvidia-gtx970

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

77%, and it drowns out the Intel stock cooler.

I could get the Asus Turbo for an extra $20, or a Strix for an extra $50. And I was looking at the anandtech review of the ITX card. My G1 Gaming's temps are high because the GPU was apparently binned to run hot and overclock like shit. Replacing the TIM knocked the temps down a few degrees but that's it.

I can't sell my G1 Gaming in its current state. I forgot to mention that it also only runs at PCIe x8 in all of my motherboards-even the single x16 slot P5Q Turbo, while my GTX 650ti OC 2GB runs at x16 in all of them-its got too many problems (but at least it still works).

Pretty much its these cards+$9 postage: http://www.computeralliance.com.au/video-cards/!nvidia-gtx-series/nvidia-gtx970

Oh damn man I feel sorry for you. The ASUS Turbo one is garbage, so I guess you'd be better off with the ITX one... Although it's not a good choice either ;-;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Oh damn man I feel sorry for you. The ASUS Turbo one is garbage, so I guess you'd be better off with the ITX one... Although it's not a good choice either ;-;

Considering the temps anandtech got with it at stock are about what my G1 Gaming are getting, I'd probably just overclock the ITX card a bit (and on the plus side, Gigabyte didn't go full retard with it and put half the vRAM on the back when there was no need to-replacing the TIM showed me that). As it is, my laptop's Mobility Radeon HD5650 can be overclocked from 550MHz to 700MHz, with the voltage locked at 1V. So it overclocks better than my G1 Gaming which only manages a 50MHz (or 100MHz above rated boost) overclock.

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_1692/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-970/sort/1

That's another store (with higher postage), I need to look at reviews of the MSI OC version: https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_1692/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-970/sort/1

PMSL