Best h.264 codec download for windows OR alternative?

ShadyHost

Im trying to capture some video with Dxtory and the default codec is causing crashes. The other codecs work but they eat up too much write speed. I am trying to find a codec that has a nice balance between file size and quality. 

Does anyone have a recommendation?

quick time player

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I recommend 2 4TB HDD's in raid 1 using an uncompressed codec, like a professional.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

quick time player

I can shoot full 1440p with quicktime, it's amazing how small the file sizes are too.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I recommend 2 4TB HDD's in raid 1 using an uncompressed codec, like a professional.

Ive got 2 1TB drives in RAID 0

These codecs installed by default suck

Ill try quicktime 

I can shoot full 1440p with quicktime, it's amazing how small the file sizes are too.

Just tried quicktime and I can't get DXtory to recognize the codec 

Just tried quicktime and I can't get DXtory to recognize the codec 

Quicktime is an on-the-fly H.264 encoding peice of software that also captures footage.

X264 for encoding. Lav filters for decoding.

Quicktime is an on-the-fly H.264 encoding peice of software that also captures footage.

I installed Quicktime and I do not see an option to capture video. Im trying to record pc games which used to work flawlessly. It seems that DXtory installs its own codec but this time around its not working. 

My solution was to use another codec. I have tried a few of them but I am not getting the results I want. I am looking for a CODEC that can be installed to work with DXtory, to record pc games at 1080p 30fps and use a reasonable amount of bandwidth (write speed)

Quicktime on my Mac allows me to record video, but not the Windows version :/

I installed Quicktime and I do not see an option to capture video. Im trying to record pc games which used to work flawlessly. It seems that DXtory installs its own codec but this time around its not working. 

My solution was to use another codec. I have tried a few of them but I am not getting the results I want. I am looking for a CODEC that can be installed to work with DXtory, to record pc games at 1080p 30fps and use a reasonable amount of bandwidth (write speed)

Quicktime on my Mac allows me to record video, but not the Windows version :/

I believe yo need to buy the full quicktime pro to record or even encode video. i remember thats at least how it was when the 5th get iPod "Video" launched.

I believe yo need to buy the full quicktime pro to record or even encode video. i remember thats at least how it was when the 5th get iPod "Video" launched.

I fixed it. Decided to try Windows 8 again and upon installing DXTORY I was able to record normally again. It was probably some strange issue with some software I had installed.