2DS vs 3DS

ProAFKGuy

Nope, not even close.

M6FlRCU.jpg  

Bulky, not very portable, cheap looking plastics, looks like My Little Fisher Price tablet

VS

game_boy_color.jpg

Stylish, portable, well built, classy design

Comparing the gaudiness of the 2DS to the sleekness of the GBC is an outrage.

Based on your profile picture, I am going to guess you are taking this personally. /joke (I am not serious)

But I do not think the comparison is a bad or wrong one. Turn the 2DS sideways. Bam, pretty much the same width/heighth as the Gameboy color. (Maybe a tad bit wider, but only by a smidgen.)

The only thing that makes it look weird to me is the two screens that somewhat scream "there should be a hinge here", but I do not care about the lack of a hinge beyond that. 

The thing does look cheap. That is because it is. :P How much were Gameboy Colors? I do not remember. But probably not "cheap". 

I think it looks fine honestly. Not as good as a Gameboy color, but it does look like one imo.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Based on your profile picture, I am going to guess you are taking this personally. /joke (I am not serious)

But I do not think the comparison is a bad or wrong one. Turn the 2DS sideways. Bam, pretty much the same width/heighth as the Gameboy color. (Maybe a tad bit wider, but only by a smidgen.)

The only thing that makes it look weird to me is the two screens that somewhat scream "there should be a hinge here", but I do not care about the lack of a hinge beyond that. 

The thing does look cheap. That is because it is. :P How much were Gameboy Colors? I do not remember. But probably not "cheap". 

I think it looks fine honestly. Not as good as a Gameboy color, but it does look like one imo.

lol, I'm not really mad, I'm being silly. In reality, the 2DS wasn't marketed at me so I won't be getting one, simple. I just poke fun at it every now and then. :P

Though, I do think it would be cool if after it comes time to replace the 3DS entirely if Nintendo revived their Gameboy moniker and made some amazing thing for the sake of nostalgia.

lol, I'm not really mad, I'm being silly. In reality, the 2DS wasn't marketed at me so I won't be getting one, simple. I just poke fun at it every now and then. :P

Though, I do think it would be cool if after it comes time to replace the 3DS entirely if Nintendo revived their Gameboy moniker and made some amazing thing for the sake of nostalgia.

That actually brings up a question I have never asked before.

Why are companies so afraid to capitalize on nostalgia? :| It is like one of their biggest resources. 

Square Enix is not shy about it (my goodness, look at all the FF remakes, yet they still will not redo FF7. Da fuq?), but most developers/companies do not bother with it. 

I just do not get it.

Edit: Fire Red and Leaf Green did well. That and all the stuff SE does are the only times I can think of companies capitalizing on it. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That actually brings up a question I have never asked before.

Why are companies so afraid to capitalize on nostalgia? :| It is like one of their biggest resources. 

Square Enix is not shy about it (my goodness, look at all the FF remakes, yet they still will not redo FF7. Da fuq?), but most developers/companies do not bother with it. 

I just do not get it.

Like legit, touch screen is neat and all but it isn't necessary. Think of all the scratched touch screens on the DS/3DS units out there due to certain games making you rub the stylus back and forth like a mad man. I would totally be down for a New Gamboy that had a single OLED HD screen, strong sound (my first gen brick Gameboy has better audio than my 3DS!), a battery pack to rival the 3DS XL, wifi, a good web browser, expansion slots and resembled a Gameboy from the past. I would be all over this in an instant.

Like legit, touch screen is neat and all but it isn't necessary. Think of all the scratched touch screens on the DS/3DS units out there due to certain games making you rub the stylus back and forth like a mad man. I would totally be down for a New Gamboy that had a single OLED HD screen, strong sound (my first gen brick Gameboy has better audio than my 3DS!), a battery pack to rival the 3DS XL, wifi, a good web browser, expansion slots and resembled a Gameboy from the past. I would be all over this in an instant.

Exactly. 

1. Design a good product related to the shape/moniker in #2.
  2. Put it in a nostalgic shape with a similar moniker.
  3. Profit!!! (No need for the ??? here)

Seriously. That would be great. 

† Christian Member †