GTX980ti Hybrid or wait for GTX1080?

RRGT19

Hi, i have like a year without a GPU, now i saw that a new GPU will be release soon.

The 980ti Hybrid is at $690 on Amazon.

What do you recommend me?.

I can buy a GTX970, 960, 950 but i don't want to because i want the best GPU possible for a single monitor.

1080p 60hz 6ms

i7 6700

16gb

SSD EVO

Tbh you could wait but there is no guarantee that pascal will live up to expectations. So do what i did, but the 970 on Christmas and sell it when pascal comes out and buy pascal.

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

I got the hybrid and I love it, there is a 90 day "step up" program where you can upgrade and pay the price different within the 90 days but There will not be a 980Ti successor within that time

HYBRID

the next 980TI wont be out until q3/4 2017 -q1 2018

I have a R9 390 but fully intend to save money to buy the next gen top tier HYBRID GPU. What card do you have now???

so, do you recommend me to buy the GTX980ti and that's it?...

1 minute ago, The_KIASER said:

What GPU do you have now?

none

i had 780 SC when it came out but i sold it a year ago jeje

so i have nothing..

Realistically since the next generations of cards will have under gone a die shrink (finally), they will be worth waiting for as they'll perform a lot better and consume a lot less power.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

23 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

I got the hybrid and I love it, there is a 90 day "step up" program where you can upgrade and pay the price different within the 90 days but There will not be a 980Ti successor within that time

Will EVGA honor the Step Up for gpus in different generations? If they're no longer selling the 900 series in their online store then they wouldn't have a price to step up from, would they?

always wait for benchmarks on newer hardware before buying. 

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

15 minutes ago, RGT said:

none

so i have nothing..

Just get the 980ti man its such a powerhouse of a card and you will be waiting a really decent chunk of time for a new gpu to come out that is as good or better.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

If possible ask a friend if you could borrow a spare card if they have one lying around. If not but your willing to wait for the next gen maybe go find a decent older card that will get you by until the next gen cards are out. If you are not willing to wait, then the 980ti is the way to go. You will be happy with it, especially at 1080, it's going to be a bit overkill for that res but having the option to go out later and pick up a 2k or 4k monitor and not have to worry about the GPU being able to produce playable fps is going to be a nice feeling. If you do go for the 980ti I'd go with the EVGA hybrid version, cool and silent operation is what your going to get with that card. Of all the research I've done on the hybrid 980ti's I think that's the best one out there, for overclocking as well.

I'm kinda in the same boat, although I'm going to wait it out with my R9 390. I'm planning to save up, and drop the money on a next gen hybrid GPU, and probably a 2k or 4k screen at the same time. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

980ti for 1080p 60hz is a huge overkill.

I'd get a second-hand 970 or a cheap new one and sell it on when Pascal comes out.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I think on Net Linked yesterday there was something said about 1080 being released in April? Don't quote me on that and watch it yourself.

either way, with a 1080p 60hz monitor with a 6ms response time either option would be stupidly overkill. You should buy a better monitor now probably a nice 144p 144hz 1ms one and buy a 980ti now and upgrade when the 1080ti+ comes out or get the monitor + 970 now and upgrade whenever you feel like. 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

9 hours ago, RGT said:

none

so i have nothing..

considering you dont have any GPU, and you are still alive, i can assume u can live with something lower than 980Ti hybrid...

i m pretty sure the next gen GTX 1080 or what ever it will be called, will be better than 980Ti in almost everything. also price would be lower than 980ti hybrid.

and from my personal experience i currently have 2x GTX 670 in SLI and there is nothing that i cant play at high on 1080p ie. and InshaAllah i will also upgrade to next gen flagship.

so my recommendation for you is to wait, may be get a 700 series card, dont put too much into something thats going to get upgrade soon.

once GTX 1080 (next gen) comes out, u can use ur lower 700 series card or what ever u get now, as back up card or even sell it out and get something to eat then :)

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

12 hours ago, RGT said:

Hi, i have like a year without a GPU, now i saw that a new GPU will be release soon.

The 980ti Hybrid is at $690 on Amazon.

What do you recommend me?.

I can buy a GTX970, 960, 950 but i don't want to because i want the best GPU possible for a single monitor.

1080p 60hz 6ms

i7 6700

16gb

SSD EVO

If you're running a 1080p 60Hz monitor, I would opt for a slightly cheaper card such as the GTX 970 or R9 390 as a placeholder until you upgrade to the next gen Nvidia/AMD offerings. If you're considering waiting at all for the next generation of anything to do in tech, which I don't advise ANYONE to do as tech moves on so fast, then I would manage your expenditure at least. In this case, buy a cheaper card and lose less money once you sell it on.

Depending on your case and PSU choice, I would opt for the R9 390. That card is a power house and will serve you very well for current AAA titles. Although, if you're anything like me, I find myself playing less demanding games most of the time, so my Titan X is a little under-utilized as of right now. :')
If this is the case, something like an R9 380 would also be a good choice and run current AAA titles well, with the assumption that you're willing to drop some of the settings occasionally; it's not a huge deal to drop some the settings in my opinion. Some 'super duper ultra maximum epeen settings', I barely notice the difference between that and high/very high anyway.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

4 hours ago, TheCaptain53 said:

If you're running a 1080p 60Hz monitor, I would opt for a slightly cheaper card such as the GTX 970 or R9 390 as a placeholder until you upgrade to the next gen Nvidia/AMD offerings. If you're considering waiting at all for the next generation of anything to do in tech, which I don't advise ANYONE to do as tech moves on so fast, then I would manage your expenditure at least. In this case, buy a cheaper card and lose less money once you sell it on.

Depending on your case and PSU choice, I would opt for the R9 390. That card is a power house and will serve you very well for current AAA titles. Although, if you're anything like me, I find myself playing less demanding games most of the time, so my Titan X is a little under-utilized as of right now. :')
If this is the case, something like an R9 380 would also be a good choice and run current AAA titles well, with the assumption that you're willing to drop some of the settings occasionally; it's not a huge deal to drop some the settings in my opinion. Some 'super duper ultra maximum epeen settings', I barely notice the difference between that and high/very high anyway.

6 hours ago, Tech Lover said:

considering you dont have any GPU, and you are still alive, i can assume u can live with something lower than 980Ti hybrid...

i m pretty sure the next gen GTX 1080 or what ever it will be called, will be better than 980Ti in almost everything. also price would be lower than 980ti hybrid.

and from my personal experience i currently have 2x GTX 670 in SLI and there is nothing that i cant play at high on 1080p ie. and InshaAllah i will also upgrade to next gen flagship.

so my recommendation for you is to wait, may be get a 700 series card, dont put too much into something thats going to get upgrade soon.

once GTX 1080 (next gen) comes out, u can use ur lower 700 series card or what ever u get now, as back up card or even sell it out and get something to eat then :)

6 hours ago, Festive said:

I think on Net Linked yesterday there was something said about 1080 being released in April? Don't quote me on that and watch it yourself.

either way, with a 1080p 60hz monitor with a 6ms response time either option would be stupidly overkill. You should buy a better monitor now probably a nice 144p 144hz 1ms one and buy a 980ti now and upgrade when the 1080ti+ comes out or get the monitor + 970 now and upgrade whenever you feel like. 

9 hours ago, A/C said:

980ti for 1080p 60hz is a huge overkill.

I'd get a second-hand 970 or a cheap new one and sell it on when Pascal comes out.

12 hours ago, The_KIASER said:

If possible ask a friend if you could borrow a spare card if they have one lying around. If not but your willing to wait for the next gen maybe go find a decent older card that will get you by until the next gen cards are out. If you are not willing to wait, then the 980ti is the way to go. You will be happy with it, especially at 1080, it's going to be a bit overkill for that res but having the option to go out later and pick up a 2k or 4k monitor and not have to worry about the GPU being able to produce playable fps is going to be a nice feeling. If you do go for the 980ti I'd go with the EVGA hybrid version, cool and silent operation is what your going to get with that card. Of all the research I've done on the hybrid 980ti's I think that's the best one out there, for overclocking as well.

I'm kinda in the same boat, although I'm going to wait it out with my R9 390. I'm planning to save up, and drop the money on a next gen hybrid GPU, and probably a 2k or 4k screen at the same time. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

I will wait for 1080 then.

what about this GPU:

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW GAMING, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 02G-P4-2958-KR

$177.99 & FREE Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Graphics-Card-02G-P4-2958-KR/dp/B013WQC9U2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441748110&sr=1-1&keywords=02G-P4-2958-KR

Maybe i can play at least on medium, right?.

EVGA GTX 950 for 140$ with a 20$ mail in rebate... He talks about it at 1:35 into the video... Great brand too

14 hours ago, RGT said:

I will wait for 1080 then.

what about this GPU:

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW GAMING, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 02G-P4-2958-KR

$177.99 & FREE Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Graphics-Card-02G-P4-2958-KR/dp/B013WQC9U2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441748110&sr=1-1&keywords=02G-P4-2958-KR

Maybe i can play at least on medium, right?.

Yes of course.

It will carry you through the next 6 months on medium in 1080 no problem IMHO. Some of my friends still use GTX 460, 560ti and HD 6850s in 1080p with no problems, and that card can pretty much outperform any of them.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.