Having trouble updating m15x BIOS

Jerochy

Hey guys,

I've updated the BIOS on machines in the past, but this one is giving me trouble, partly because dell doesn't give the best directions. I have a p08g m15x and I'm upgrading the GPU so I need to update the BIOS too.

I go on dell's website, download the correct driver, get a executable in my downloads and when you double click on it, it brings up the extractor window. It automatically extracts all the contents to C:\dell\drivers\ on my hard drive. I extracted the contents it to that and also my formatted 8gb lexar flash drive. The only reason I left one in the \dell\drivers is because on dell's website under instructions, it says when the DOS window comes up that you need to type in the address for  the update and the address is "   C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 " which really doesn't make sense to me as it should be taking information off the USB, not the hard drive. I rebooted, changed my boot to USB mass storage, got into the DOS window and it had a blinking >C: just like dell said it would. When I typed "   C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 ", I got an error for bad command of file name. I made sure several times I typed everything right and still no luck. I tried using E:\R293649 as that was on my flash drive with the same thing, still not working. 

Dell's instructions just don't really help me that much, and I was wondering if someone could fill in the gaps for what they are missing for me. In the installation #2, I don't get why you would extract it to your hard drive and not your USB. Or at least extract the file to you hard drive and then copy the contents to my USB. I can't imagine just saving it to the hard drive and not the USB would do anything?

I'm just really stuck here. Should I be just extracting everything to the USB like I have in the past to update BIOS? And if so, what do I type when the DOS window comes up waiting for the address of my new bios update? Thanks guys. 

dell wtf.PNG