Start Server Without GPU

JFischer00

I want to run Ubuntu Server on a machine with an 860K and no GPU in it. However, when I turn on the computer it gives me an AGP error beep code (looked it up), which, if you don't know, basically means there's no GPU. How can I get it to start up even if it doesn't have a GPU? I will only be connecting via SSH and the hard drive already has Ubuntu Server installed on it from a previous machine.

1 minute ago, JFischer00 said:

I want to run Ubuntu Server on a machine with an 860K and no GPU in it. However, when I turn on the computer it gives me an AGP error beep code (looked it up), which, if you don't know, basically means there's no GPU. How can I get it to start up even if it doesn't have a GPU? I will only be connecting via SSH and the hard drive already has Ubuntu Server installed on it from a previous machine.

you need a gpu. go find one or get a 610 or something

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

Does the 860K have dedicated graphics? that might be the issue.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

Does the 860K have dedicated graphics? that might be the issue.

Integrated graphics? No, it does not. I believe it's a 7850K without the iGPU.

Then it wont start if the CPU has no graphics. try going for a cheap dedicated graphics card.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

depends on the mobo

check if the mobo has "halt on error(s)" and check none

many mobos won't boot if they can't find a video card

Just now, zMeul said:

depends on the mobo

How do I do this?

Just now, zMeul said:

depends on the mobo

Like i said if there isnt a graphics chip the mobo can use it wont work. Its like running a car without a gearbox.

2 minutes ago, JFischer00 said:

How do I do this?

well .. you will a need a video card :)

unless your mobo has a dedicated LAN remote port, found mostly on SuperMicro mobos

Just now, zMeul said:

well .. you will a need a video card :)

unless your mobo has a dedicated LAN remote port found mostly on SuperMicro mobos

So I put a GPU in it, go into the BIOS, try to find that setting, check none, take out the GPU, and it should work?

1 minute ago, JFischer00 said:

So I put a GPU video card in it, go into the BIOS, try to find that setting, check none, take out the GPU, and it should work?

should, key word

if it actually works .. that's what you need to find out ;)

Just now, JFischer00 said:

So I put a GPU in it, go into the BIOS, try to find that setting, check none, take out the GPU, and it should work?

No, that's kinda like saying put a gearbox into a car then take it out and it will work xD

just find a cheapo GPU to plug in and it will work. buy an old used one for dirt cheap 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, mikat said:

no, servers are mostly intended for remote desktop, so you do not need a gpu since you are using the client's gpu.

Ahh then i dont really know then xD

Just now, mikat said:

no, servers are mostly intended for remote desktop, so you do not need a gpu since you are using the client's gpu.

So can I start it without one and how?

Just now, mikat said:

"servers" as in hardware dedicated for a server

but, consumer grade mobos don't behave that way

Just now, zMeul said:

"servers" as in hardware dedicated for a server

but, consumer grade mobos don't behave that way

Ah, that makes sense.

Just now, mikat said:

but most server motherboards have iGPU i think, since most servers don't have a gpu and can still output to a vga monitor for setting up vmware and such :)

Well mine's not a server motherboard so I guess that doesn't apply.

5 minutes ago, mikat said:

but most server motherboards have iGPU i think

it depends

in a environment where power efficiency is paramount, mobos that do not have iGPS or any form of a graphics chipset often rely on video over dedicated LAN port - they even allow you to enter BIOS

2 minutes ago, JFischer00 said:

Well mine's not a server motherboard so I guess that doesn't apply.

as I said, get hold of a video card (lend lease loan borrow steal), check BIOS for that specific setting I told you about and test - nothing to lose but time

Ok, well I'll test @zMeul's idea, but it seems that I will have to do some Craigslist searching for an ultra-cheap, old graphics card before I can boot the machine. Next time I want to use some old parts for a server or something, I'll know to use a CPU with a iGPU or to budget for an ultra-cheap, old graphics card.

3 hours ago, mikat said:

For service needs, even servers include a graphics subsystem.  Suprisingly, the Matrox Millennium is rather common on modern enterprise servers to supply basic graphics rendering for servicing.  ...Yeah, I didn't know that Matrox still made those chips either.

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

it depends

in a environment where power efficiency is paramount, mobos that do not have iGPS or any form of a graphics chipset often rely on video over dedicated LAN port - they even allow you to enter BIOS

yes i know, that is called IPMI, but most servers have a vga port on the front to control them :)