Shared folder not giving prompt for user info

thekeemo

I am setting up a shared folder that needs to have users for different levels of access.

The way I did this in windows 10 is I shared the folder on a system and and added several users on the system.

When I connect to it from client systems I get a prompt to enter a username and password.

Now when I do it at my friends I dont get that prompt and instead I get an error that I dont have permission.

Ideas?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

15 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I am setting up a shared folder that needs to have users for different levels of access.

The way I did this in windows 10 is I shared the folder on a system and and added several users on the system.

When I connect to it from client systems I get a prompt to enter a username and password.

Now when I do it at my friends I dont get that prompt and instead I get an error that I dont have permission.

Ideas?

I would edit the share's security settings and assign permissions for each user explicitly.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I would edit the share's security settings and assign permissions for each user explicitly.

That is what I did. Must have not worded it right.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

That is what I did. Must have not worded it right.

When you are connecting to the share on another computer, are you already using a user account that matches one of the ones you've preconfigured in the share computer? Eg same username and password?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

When you are connecting to the share on another computer, are you already using a user account that matches one of the ones you've preconfigured in the share computer? Eg same username and password?

Yes. I would prefer not to have it like that though.

1. removing the home share  
  2. using the net use command to delete all connections  ( drive letter not address)
  3. adding the folder via map network drive  
  4. that did it :)