My Dell poweredge 2950 Gen III noise

So I have a dell poweredge 2950 Gen III and I'm having issue with it being noise so I was think of building a wood box that I could put it on the wall of inside the box put sound proofing would that cancel the noise? 

The 2950s are generally loud, the school I go to runs mainly 2950s and 1950s. We just got done moving all of them to a dedicated server room. There really isnt much to do about the noise. The idea behind putting it in a wood box with sound proofing material in it, I dont think that would work too well. Best thing in my opinion would be to move it away from you, if possible. If not, You can try the sound proofing idea

Desktop  - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 12gb Hyper X DDR3 - NZXT Tempest - Asus M4A78DTX EVO - Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti - 160gb Toshiba garbage - 1tb WD garbage

Laptop - HP Pavilion G7-2269wm - AMD A8-4500M - 6gb DDR3 - 320 gig Western Digital Scorpio drive - AMD HD 7640G graphics - 17.3 inch display

Server - x2 Xeon f41 2.80GHz - 4gb DDR ECC Reg - Intel Serverboard SE7320GP2 - ATI Rage 128 8mb - 120gb Seagate boot - 640 gb Network share

12 minutes ago, ButtNuttz said:

The 2950s are generally loud, the school I go to runs mainly 2950s and 1950s. We just got done moving all of them to a dedicated server room. There really isnt much to do about the noise. The idea behind putting it in a wood box with sound proofing material in it, I dont think that would work too well. Best thing in my opinion would be to move it away from you, if possible. If not, You can try the sound proofing idea

Oh Ok thanks. 

2950's are loud. I own one and know what you mean. Try to see if you can put it in a closet or something away from you. There are also mods you can do to the fans by putting in a resistor to reduce their noise. If you do the resistor mod, you will also need to re flash the BMC controller firmware or something. You can google it if you're interested.

2 minutes ago, toxicnos said:

2950's are loud. I own one and know what you mean. Try to see if you can put it in a closet or something away from you. There are also mods you can do to the fans by putting in a resistor to reduce their noise. If you do the resistor mod, you will also need to re flash the BMC controller firmware or something. You can google it if you're interested.

Ok Thanks have you done the mod with your fans? 

2 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Ok Thanks have you done the mod with your fans? 

No, never found it necessary as it is in a room away from me. For the mod you just need some basic soldering skills.

You can check into home theater construction techniques to get some ideas on how to insulate sound.

But you'd overheat the server in a few minutes without vents... and if you put vents in then all of your soundproofing is worthless as the sound will go right out them.