Allocate programs to pagefile

Raiden60

I only have 8GB of RAM and running a game and chrome at the same time can be difficult as chrome is a huge fucking memory hog and I have quite a few tabs open at once. So how do I force it to use the pagefile instead of all of my ram. And I do mean all, it takes up a unacceptably large amount of RAM without too many tabs open.

be more organised and close your tabs

add them to bookmarks if you need

also you can get 8GB of ram for really cheap, you should consider upgrading

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

be more organised and close your tabs

add them to bookmarks if you need

also you can get 8GB of ram for really cheap, you should consider upgrading

I am gonna upgrade to 16GB soon. That's not really answered my question though. I said that I don't even have too many tabs open and it still takes up a ridiculous amount of capacity. I want to know how to add the resources to the pagefile on my SSD. It's done it before without any problems, but now it won't.

@Enderman is correct, if you choose to run Chrome, you've got to accept the way it handle's memory utilization.

There are other browsers that use less ram with lots of tabs in the background, but they'll just refresh the page everytime you open it.

The simplest way is to close the tabs you're not using, or get more ram

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Just now, Prince32780 said:

@Enderman is correct, if you choose to run Chrome, you've got to accept the way it handle's memory utilization.

There are other browsers that use less ram with lots of tabs in the background, but they'll just refresh the page everytime you open it.

The simplest way is to close the tabs you're not using, or get more ram

Like I said, I can have like 50 tabs open and it can only use like 2GB (in RAM). I'm assuming that it's using the pagefile instead, so I want to know how to allocate resources for chrome to the pagefile.

1 minute ago, Raiden60 said:

I am gonna upgrade to 16GB soon. That's not really answered my question though. I said that I don't even have too many tabs open and it still takes up a ridiculous amount of capacity. I want to know how to add the resources to the pagefile on my SSD. It's done it before without any problems, but now it won't.

The pagefile is controlled by Windows

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Just now, Prince32780 said:

The pagefile is controlled by Windows

So, there's no way to actually allocate resources to the pagefile?

4 minutes ago, Raiden60 said:

windows manages ram and page file

the only thing you can do is change the size of the page file

forcing data to go on a pagefile is like trying to make a program use memory block X instead of Y

its out of your control

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Raiden60 said:

Like I said, I can have like 50 tabs open and it can only use like 2GB (in RAM). I'm assuming that it's using the pagefile instead, so I want to know how to allocate resources for chrome to the pagefile.

The os will automatically determine when to put a program in the page file and there is no way to change that. 

1 minute ago, Raiden60 said:

So, there's no way to actually allocate resources to the pagefile?

No, programs aren't built to run in the pagefile

& even if you found a way to force it, it would most likely misbehave

Just now, Enderman said:

windows manages ram and page file

the only thing you can do is change the size of the page file

forcing data to go on a pagefile is like trying to make a program use memory block X instead of Y

its out of your control

Well, that's a bit crap.

Your CPU can only interact with your RAM to execute instructions. Pagefile is a trick OS do to expand your RAM, and is entirely managed by the OS. If you ate low in RAM, Windows will automatically move Chrome tabs to your page file. Windows, and any other OS, have a complex algorithm it uses to know what to put in your page file, so that it minimized the impact on your system general experience level in responsiveness. (Remember as you CPU can only work with your RAM, it needs first to have its needed data copies from your pagefile to your RAM, meaning it will be unresponsive until it gets to your RAM fully.)