My laptops WLAN stopped

yusup31

So my laptop hinge was broken and i ordered replacement hinges, i switched them out with no real big problem but now all of a sudden my laptops wirless witll just not work. I had to fudge with the WLAN wires a bit to get the casing on but im not sure what to do i have reset my router here, tried different WLAN cards and done everything i know i usually wouldnt care execpt i need my laptop for internet on my main rig right now thank you sorry for bad grammer writing this on my note 5 and dont feel like grammaring after the day i had. Thanks agian to anyone who helps

First, ensure your networking drivers are installed. Then, check to see if your ethernet port (if you have one) works. If so, use that in the meantime, and continue reading. Check device manager for network adapters and see if the installed card is picked up. If it is not, then you may need to try other cards (if you can verify that cards that are compatible and are functional are not being picked up, then your connector is dead, and must be repaired/replaced by the manufacturer). If you come to the conclusion that the connector is functional, and you have a compatible card then adjust the card in the connector until it is picked up, otherwise it may be dead anyway. 

If, however, you found that your card IS PICKED UP, then navigate to the website of the manufacturer of the card, and download the driver from their site (you will need to do this on another device, otherwise congrats your internet works again). Then, install, and reboot to safe mode. If this does not fix your issue, run windows diagnostics, and see if it spits out an error. If you follow its guidance and still have issues (assuming the card IS still picked up by the computer), then ensure the device is enabled in device manager, and try manually setting up the connection to your network. If none of these steps work, either post again with more details (they are somewhat lacking, such as HOW the device is failing (device not picked up, not available networks, not able to connect to networks, etc.)), or go ask someone who can inspect the device in person. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

3 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

First, ensure your networking drivers are installed. Then, check to see if your ethernet port (if you have one) works. If so, use that in the meantime, and continue reading. Check device manager for network adapters and see if the installed card is picked up. If it is not, then you may need to try other cards (if you can verify that cards that are compatible and are functional are not being picked up, then your connector is dead, and must be repaired/replaced by the manufacturer). If you come to the conclusion that the connector is functional, and you have a compatible card then adjust the card in the connector until it is picked up, otherwise it may be dead anyway. 

If, however, you found that your card IS PICKED UP, then navigate to the website of the manufacturer of the card, and download the driver from their site (you will need to do this on another device, otherwise congrats your internet works again). Then, install, and reboot to safe mode. If this does not fix your issue, run windows diagnostics, and see if it spits out an error. If you follow its guidance and still have issues (assuming the card IS still picked up by the computer), then ensure the device is enabled in device manager, and try manually setting up the connection to your network. If none of these steps work, either post again with more details (they are somewhat lacking, such as HOW the device is failing (device not picked up, not available networks, not able to connect to networks, etc.)), or go ask someone who can inspect the device in person. 

3 hours ago, daniielrp said:

Can you clarify what about it isn't working? Is it connecting/not connecting? Wifi card showing/not showing?

In reply to both of you, I got it working. The problem was simply a broken wire. With the WAN cards between both of my laptops they had a black and white cable running i swapped and it works now. It was my fault when I was changing the hinge. Thank you though for your help and I do realize I should been a lot more detailed with my explanation but if it matters I checked to make sue it was reading properly it just refuse to actually connect to the network. I could see three different networks but no matter which one i picked it refused to connect. Again thank you for the help.

16 minutes ago, BlyduJynx said:

In reply to both of you, I got it working. The problem was simply a broken wire. With the WAN cards between both of my laptops they had a black and white cable running i swapped and it works now. It was my fault when I was changing the hinge. Thank you though for your help and I do realize I should been a lot more detailed with my explanation but if it matters I checked to make sue it was reading properly it just refuse to actually connect to the network. I could see three different networks but no matter which one i picked it refused to connect. Again thank you for the help.

You're welcome. Glad to see you learned to be more specific (networking can be very complex, so the more details the better. Don't worry about length, if people really want to help they'll read it and appreciate the info). 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...