There should be a modular version of Steam

branden_lucero

So i can get rid of tabs and links that i never go to. i would literally get rid of the "Community" tab that just sits there. basically, i want to make the Steam client as minimal as i can. Steam has had the same redundant design since its last major UI overhaul, with cosmetic things here and there. also a snap feature would be nice, where Steam acts like a grid where i can snap my friends list in one spot, and my games list in another without having to keep clicking tabs. everything that i want is just right there on one screen.

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

No, we need to stop with this minimalistic crap. It took me twenty minutes yesterday to find something in a program because it was buried in some stupid contextual menu when it should have been out in the open. But this need to make everything look "pretty" has forced functionality and usability into the toilet. 

And unfortunately, that's what would likely end up happening if Steam was changed. It wouldn't become super customizable, they would just start hiding things out of sight. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'd rather not have Steam at all.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No, we need to stop with this minimalistic crap. It took me twenty minutes yesterday to find something in a program because it was buried in some stupid contextual menu when it should have been out in the open. But this need to make everything look "pretty" has forced functionality and usability into the toilet. 

And unfortunately, that's what would likely end up happening if Steam was changed. It wouldn't become super customizable, they would just start hiding things out of sight. 

75% of the shit that Steam has, i dont even use anyways. its just a waste of space and a waste of click. 

2 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

GOG masterrace.

+1

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They need to overhaul the entire client. If not combine big picture mode with the normal client so you can at least use a controller to navigate the menus if you exit out of a game using a controller.

I also want Valve to make adding/removing mods from the workshop faster without having to RELOAD THE PAGE EVERY FREAKING TIME. /rageover

Spoiler

I can't stand the interface without the Metro skin.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

11 hours ago, KemoKa said:

GOG masterrace.

This

also honestly, i only look at the store and library tab, its not hard to ignore the rest, i barely even notice that they are there, i just dont even see them anymore

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I feel like steam is becoming bloatware, and it's time to trim some of the fat.

10 hours ago, Sky Daddy said:

this. So much so this.

whoops. I hit the wrong button on the phone. ?

15 hours ago, Sky Daddy said:

You should have seen it when it first came out, it was a PC crippler.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Steam uses less than 50 MBs of memory, and barely 1% of my 6600k while it's active. After launching a game, or just letting it idle, the CPU usage drops to 0. Compared to Chrome which is currently using 80 MBs of memory while idle.

How exactly is Steam bloatware again?

I don't understand this persistent hatred of Steam. I didn't like it at first either... you know, when a friend of mine first talked me into creating an account nearly a decade ago. Then I realized it wasn't so bad and I tossed my negative bias aside. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't buy games that use it.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."