So I am not too familiar with MAC OS. And I am having problems with a MacBook Pro. Its an older one (2011). Replaced the RAM, battery, and hard drive. The computer has terrible mouse lag and it takes forever to open apps. Also, randomly shuts down. I am thinking it is a PSU issue but not sure. Its running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.3. If you need any other information please leave a comment and I can try to find the answer for you. I appreciate the help in advance! 

is CPU or ram or drive usage high at idle?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Catastrophe114 said:

So I am not too familiar with MAC OS. And I am having problems with a MacBook Pro. Its an older one (2011). Replaced the RAM, battery, and hard drive. The computer has terrible mouse lag and it takes forever to open apps. Also, randomly shuts down. I am thinking it is a PSU issue but not sure. Its running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.3. If you need any other information please leave a comment and I can try to find the answer for you. I appreciate the help in advance! 

I don't use macs so can you do a factory reset of yout computer if so JUST DO IT!

sorry about that but yeah try that first.

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

doesn't sound power realated to me. can you maybe take it to the genius bar?

Sounds like a RAM issue. Samething happens (mouse lag and program lag) when doing a stress test that tests RAM like in Aida64.

Intel i7 4790k | Corsair H110i GTX | MSI Z97S Krait | 16GB HyperX Fury | ASUS Strix GTX 970 | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SSHD | WD 3TB Green | Corsair TX750M | 

Corsair Graphite 760t White | 3x AOC i2267Fwh 21.5 inch IPS Monitor 1080p | Corsair Raptor k50 RGB | Logitech G500 | Blue Snowball

32 minutes ago, Catastrophe114 said:
29 minutes ago, Enderman said:

is CPU or ram or drive usage high at idle?

checking that

21 minutes ago, gFrenken97 said:

Turn the laptop off, press the power button and hold Command+R until it boots into Recovery mode, reinstall Mac OS X (it downloads the latest version)

Okay, i will try that. thank you

19 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

doesn't sound power realated to me. can you make take it to the genius bar?

I dont have the computer with me and she is computer illiterate haha... ill have to go get the computer i guess

2 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

doesn't sound power realated to me. can you make take it to the genius bar?

what do I need to do with the genius bar?

1 minute ago, Catastrophe114 said:

what do I need to do with the genius bar?

no I mean take it to the apple store. the genius bar at the apple store

Just now, Beeeyeee said:

no I mean take it to the apple store. the genius bar at the apple store

my bad haha. Not an apple guy... No, not in the US.

1 minute ago, Catastrophe114 said:

my bad haha. Not an apple guy... No, not in the US.

call the support line maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, an update on this issue. 

I took the computer and updated to the latest OS X 10.10.5 and the problem seemed to be fixed. I had no mouse lag and browsers were opening up normal. It returned the computer to my friend and then she used it for an the whole day with no problems. Until later that night it started doing the same thing. Mouse lag and browsers were not opening. 

It has a Kingston stick of KVR1066D3S7/4G.... Serial number of the MAC is A1286. Im lost at this point.

Any ideas now would help a lot. Thanks!

Quick question, is the issue present when the MacBook is connected to AC power? Or does it creep up when the MacBook is on battery power?

Try to upgrade the OS to the new one El Captain  

Duh_Tech

I am a computer and aviation enthusiast. I have a good enough PC. 

On 3/20/2016 at 4:32 PM, Stepanos said:

Quick question, is the issue present when the MacBook is connected to AC power? Or does it creep up when the MacBook is on battery power?

Both... 

On 3/20/2016 at 4:37 PM, Duh_tech said:

Try to upgrade the OS to the new one El Captain  

I have updated to the 10.10.6 which is El Capitain. All system updates are done.

I checked the RAM slots and found that it had a single slot of that Kingston 1066 4GB stick. She had other sticks of RAM that was stock and another set. I installed all of them to trouble shoot. And found that other set of Hyuix or something worked the best. 

I am worried this is a bigger problem then RAM though. I dont want to recommend to get a new set of RAM and still have the same issue if it is a MOBO problem or something. 

Just to clarify: it has the latest and fresh install of OS X and all the updates are done. It has a 1TB hard drive with only 40GB used. And now two sticks of DDR3 1066 2GB. I cleaned all the fans and any dust. Its not overheating but running at 2GB of RAM at IDLE. I found a Memory app and the only thing that is running is the OS. I looked up the task name and found out many people are having large CPU and RAM usage from this new OS X. 

My conclusion is that after the computer continues to run the RAM fills up (even using the force quit option in apple) and kills the thing. Their new OS causes high RAM usage to get people to buy the bigger and better stuff. Getting a set of 8GB or 16GB will eliminate the problem. 

If this sounds correct to you please let me have some feedback so i am a little more confident in telling her to spend another 40-80 bucks on some new RAM. Thanks for everyone's help. Really do appreciate and I know she does as well.

I'm pretty sure the newer versions of OSX have all kinds of social media/notification integration. Maybe try disabling/unlinking as many accounts as possible?

1 hour ago, Omon_Ra said:

I'm pretty sure the newer versions of OSX have all kinds of social media/notification integration. Maybe try disabling/unlinking as many accounts as possible?

yeah, none of her accounts were signed in. I wiped everything.