i5-6600k vs Xeon E3-1231v3 for future performance

For my first PC from scratch, I've narrowed down my CPU choice to the options above. 

My budget is around $1000, and I will be gaming primarily. I am not a frequent upgrader - this will be my main rig for 5+ years probably (obv GPU will need an upgrade at some point). In the forum's opinion - which CPU will be retain its value the longest? 

Many people have recommended Skylake for an upgrade path, but since I don't see myself upgrading for a long time this is not really a consideration for me. In that sense Haswell and Skylake are kind of on even terms. 

• i5-6600k has the newest platform, DDR4 and overclocking. 
  • The Xeon has hyperthreading, and I have heard that games will become more optimized for this in the future. 

Does hyperthreading trump the faster single core performance on an OC'd 6600K?

(btw, I've posted a lot about CPU choices and thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I asked this question ^^^ on an older thread of mine but it got buried in all the comments.)

No.

And you'd only benefit from hyperthreading if you livestream/render etc. For normal gaming, that i5 will slap the shit out of that Xeon. And it's overclockable.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Right now the 6600k will yield slighty better performance in most games (with the Xeon taking an edge in games that can really leverage the extra threads). 

Honestly, it comes down to which becomes more important in the future -- more cores or still single core performance, and no one can really claim to know which will end up being better in the future (although my money is on the extra threads). As it stands, the extra performance you get from overclocking is smaller than the extra performance you get in those games that can leverage the extra threads properly. So, my vote is for the Xeon (and yes, if I could go back and redo my build I would swap my 4690k for a Xeon in a heartbeat).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i5 all the way. It's current gen and overclockable, so you'll be able to keep it relevant longer if you take care of it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

the i5 is a better choice

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

"An i5 is all you need for gaming" has been true for a while, but we might be on the edge here. More and more games are benefiting from multiple cores/more threads. Right now, the i5 will beat the xeon by a bit. Hard to predict the future.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

Unless you intend to stream your games, the i5 will be much better for a lot longer. If you are planning on streaming... the Xeon will probably be your best bet. And it will be better if APIs down the road end up being optimized for more threads. It will also help immensely in heavily multi-threaded workloads. In terms of CPU-bound performance, the Xeon will beat the 6600K, even when overclocked. Skylake hasn't really made any leaps and bounds over Haswell.

The DDR4 is nice, but its biggest perk is power consumption. There's no real performance benefit from having faster memory in this case because the latency will in most relevant tasks overcome the speed benefits. Going with an older platform won't really hurt - RAM hasn't been a system bottleneck for well over a decade.

Skylake does have advantages, though - it has a lot (A LOT) of peripheral expansion options - 16 PCIe Gen3 lanes on the CPU and a whopping 20 on the chipset. that's a lot more than even Haswell had. You are limited to 4 of those lanes at a time when going over DMI 3.0, but even that pipeline is a massive improvement.

So it really depends on what you need, at the end of the day. Do you want PCIe Gen 3 M.2 drives? Get Skylake. Do you want to stream with minimal impact on your games? Get the Xeon.

3 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

Unless you intend to stream your games, the i5 will be much better for a lot longer. If you are planning on streaming... the Xeon will probably be your best bet. And it will be better if APIs down the road end up being optimized for more threads. It will also help immensely in heavily multi-threaded workloads. In terms of CPU-bound performance, the Xeon will beat the 6600K, even when overclocked. Skylake hasn't really made any leaps and bounds over Haswell.

Skylake does have advantages, though - it has a lot (A LOT) of peripheral expansion options - 16 PCIe Gen3 lanes on the CPU and a whopping 20 on the chipset. that's a lot more than even Haswell had. You are limited to 4 of those lanes at a time when going over DMI 3.0, but even that pipeline is a massive improvement.

So it really depends on what you need, at the end of the day. Do you want PCIe Gen 3 M.2 drives? Get Skylake. Do you want to stream with minimal impact on your games? Get the Xeon.

I won't be doing any streaming, and M.2 drives definitely don't fit in my budget, nor do I need that kind of performance. I should mention that through microcenter the two CPUs are within $10 of each other (after a mobo combo.) That's part of the reason it's a hard decision - if I had to pay $250 for the i5 I would not hesitate to get the Xeon at $210.